Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Mazdaspeed3 or Mazdaspeed6 or STI?

Old 05-19-2009, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-> Out of the two, I'd pick the MS3, I'm a fan of anything lift/fast/hatchbacks. The MS6 is a decent car, but the Legacy 2.5GT (especially the wagon) is way better.

-> But if you want the best of both worlds:

+ Same hp as the MS6
+ Same drivetrain as the MS6
+ Same versatility as the MS3
+ Same size as the MS3

- Tranny is fragile
- Ugly
- Spark plugs are a pain
- A tad heavy

-> And why the S2000 exhausting to drive? It gives me a different feeling, it keeps me awake all the time.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At a certain point you could of gotten a brand new 2008 STI for 28K.

So that 26K for a WRX isn't so great.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:21 AM

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Not too sure how much snow you get in Oak Park, but I had an opportunity to drive an MS3 in some inclement weather, and I was very unimpressed with how it handled in the snow. I could not get very good traction with it.

I've not yet had a chance to drive a MS6 in the snow, but I would imagine it would be a bit better.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jacques79,May 20 2009, 03:02 AM
At a certain point you could of gotten a brand new 2008 STI for 28K.

So that 26K for a WRX isn't so great.
Yeah, but that was a a once-in-a-lifetime deal that probably won't ever happen again. I see where you're coming from but also don't see the point in comparing what's available now with past deals. You have to work with what's available or what's a reasonable expectation (i.e. the '09s will be cheaper when the '10s hit the showrooms) and judge your good deal based on that.

I can't comment on whether or not $26k for a WRX is a good deal or not since I haven't done the research as I'm not in the market for one. But looking at it from face value, it being ~$10k cheaper than the STI but with a good chunk of the performance, it really isn't so bad.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:58 AM

low mile ms6's can be had for 15K
Old 05-20-2009, 08:17 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

hard choice...the mazsaspeed 3 apeals to me over the 6. it is a cheaper car all around in that it will cost you less to have and maintain. i also like the hatchback idea. which one drives better? I have a sedan for my other car and i like all the bells and stuff it offers plus the comfort and practicality, a 2004 acura tl 6 sp with nav.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:19 AM

ms3 ftw
Old 05-20-2009, 08:29 AM

ms3 - i like fast hatches.

Altho from everything I've read, fuel economy is poor. Even the regular Mazda 3 was bad (buddy's got one)
Old 05-20-2009, 09:42 AM

I bought a MS3 recently and I reviewed it
here (2nd page halfway down). Some of criticisms that have been brought up here should be rebutted by first hand information. First off the gas mileage is very dependent on how much you stay off boost. Since it doesn't come with a boost gauge staying off boost is a guessing game. The GT model does have a trip computer that shows MPG, both average and immediate, so that does help out. I bought a Dashhawk that shows boost as well as many other functions like air/fuel ratio (MS3 has a WBO2 stock), knock, etc.. By driving conservatively I can get 24mpg city and 33mpg hwy. Driving more aggressively will bring down the mpg close to the EPA ratings.
For the poster that mentioned that it drove poorly in the snow, I have to ask were you on the stock tires?? Just like the S2000, the MS3 comes with max performance summer tires. If you put on snow tires I am pretty sure you would have a good handling snow car just like other FWD cars since most of the weight is over the drive tires. The vehicle stability assist works very well in this car as I found out last weekend when I took my MS3 to a local racetrack and ran it for a bunch of laps in the pouring rain. It did fantastic in the rain, to a point that it almost got boring because of how easy it was.
I think the MS3 is an outstanding bargain, evidenced by it winning every comparison test it has ever been in by Car and Driver and Edmunds. Combined with excellent deals out there since the 2010 redesigned model is coming soon makes it an even better choice.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EP Heart,May 20 2009, 04:36 AM
Yeah, but that was a a once-in-a-lifetime deal that probably won't ever happen again. I see where you're coming from but also don't see the point in comparing what's available now with past deals. You have to work with what's available or what's a reasonable expectation (i.e. the '09s will be cheaper when the '10s hit the showrooms) and judge your good deal based on that.

I can't comment on whether or not $26k for a WRX is a good deal or not since I haven't done the research as I'm not in the market for one. But looking at it from face value, it being ~$10k cheaper than the STI but with a good chunk of the performance, it really isn't so bad.
Couldn't agree more. In addition, just cause one person claims to have gotten this deal doesn't make it reality. The supposed 28K STI is what got me looking at Subarus in the first place at the end of last year and the best price my local dealer would do was 31...

I'm not the best negotiator but I feel that 26k was a good deal for a premium edition WRX with Ipod adapter. I'm sure you can get the base for significantly less than that but I like my cars loaded.

I'm sorry I brought it up though; I didn't mean to Hijack the thread with my suggestion... To get back to the original question, if i had to pick between the two choices I would go with the MS3.

Good luck to you.

Quick Reply: Mazdaspeed3 or Mazdaspeed6 or STI?