Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Mazda ZoomZoom Live

Old 10-01-2006, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No MazdaSpeed 3?
Old 10-01-2006, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Sep 30 2006, 09:36 PM
The MY06 cars were great, but the MY07 cars sucked. Hard to say why, but if the cars were all torn up then Mazda shouldn't be using them to show what their cars are like. What they are showing people makes a very negative impression.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by hpark,Oct 1 2006, 12:48 AM
well you've been spoiled by the S2000...one of the best shifters made in history
I actually thought about that, because my car has a billet shifter that has me even more spoiled than the stock S2000 shifter, but the Mazda shifters all had a throw of (I'm guessing) between 4" and 6", and I don't understand how heavy use (and abuse) could make the shift throws longer. The guys who are saying that the clutches were probably fried are probably right, because the air was heavy with the smell of overheated clutch(es).

I need to autocross somebody's stock S2000, becasue after sleeping on yesterdays event and the cars I drove I'm realing at the difference between all the Mazda's and my modified S. At this point my car isn't even in the same league as the RX8, and I'm wondering how I'd feel about the S if I drove one that was stock. I might find that dissipointing too.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by sodaking663rd,Oct 1 2006, 10:08 AM
i went this year and last. the miata is spectacular. the only thing i really don't like about it is the high sill it has now. it doesn't feel like an old european roadster any more as you really feel like you're sitting IN the car. besides that the car handles great and has a really nice interior. so nothing changed from last year to this year with the miata.

the rx-8 last year - i was really impressed with it. this year i was not. i don't know why that is. it may have been that i just got out of the miata and was diasppointed that it just didn't handle as well as the miata...maybe handle isn't the right word but the miata is just so tossable because of its size it makes it a blast to drive. the rx8 while fun just didn't put a big smile on my face.

the mazdaspeed 6 was ok...it had a lot of torque which was nice for a change but felt like a very heavy car.

the cx7 was pretty sweet...i was really impressed with its handling and interior as well.
I find it interesting that we both found the RX8's to be better last year than this year. I also agree (totally) with your comments about the new MX5's. I really like the lower sill height of the earlier MX5's, but the new car has great handling.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:12 AM

[QUOTE=JonBoy,Oct 1 2006, 10:27 AM]I can't believe you feel the MS6 handled as well (or better) than the RX-8.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:18 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

I think we got the cars after Georgia, and they were already ragged on.

You're right, though - driving styles do change the handling of the car. That said, I'm all about trail braking as well - it's easier for me to rotate the car that way. The other thing may be that you had a different course setup, which led to different traits being exhibited.

For instance, the third set of corners (kind of a back stretch kink or chicane) on our track would allow a nice drift through it - the car actually did transition fine there. You'd tap the brakes, then keep on the throttle and the MS6 would just slide through it perfectly, before going hard on the brakes for a sharp 90* turn. However, on slow speed corners (like the last one before the end, probably a 140* turn), the car really didn't have enough speed and room to trail brake and rotate the car properly. It was a downhill turn (you headed down the hill, then turned back up into the hill) which didn't allow the car to do anything but scrub off at the front. It was virtually impossible to get the car to rotate. The RX-8, on the other hand, had enough power (and just two wheels being driven) to allow rotation almost at will, even on a corner like that. I guess the RX-8 to me is just a LOT more tossable, plus it understeered significantly less.

On the course we were driving, there was only one "flat" corner (ie, no elevation change) on the main course (the starting corner was also flat). All the rest were on an incline of some sort, which really exacerbates understeer and doesn't really allow for much rotation of the car (certainly not enough to counteract the understeer that the MS6 constantly showed). Even the "pro" driver (he ran three seconds under the time, with a passenger) was understeering quite a bit on the course. It just wouldn't do anything else.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:23 AM

[QUOTE=JonBoy,Oct 1 2006, 10:18 PM]I think we got the cars after Georgia, and they were already ragged on.

You're right, though - driving styles do change the handling of the car.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:32 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

[QUOTE=RED MX5,Oct 2 2006, 02:23 PM]Given the way some people (too many people) in this area drive I think Gorgia can do a sufficient job of trashing Mazda's cars without any out of state help.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:39 PM

I went to the Dallas event. I thought the MS6 overall was really horrible. The clutch had this odd unstable feel... like the pedal wanted to be either all the way or all the way in, and was difficult to modulate in the middle. And I found it to be really hard to drive in a fast and controlled manner. It has huge amounts of power, but only after you've gotten past the nasty turbo lag, and then you get a kick that the mushy suspension and disconnected steering was helpless to control throgh corners. I'm probably being a little hard on it, but certainly compared to the rest of the cars out there and our S, it was pretty bad.

RX-8 was lots of fun. It's still about the closest thing I've driven to having the handing "feel" of the S2000, even though it's got more lean and overall less tenacity in corners.

I'd never driven the new Miata before and thought it was *excellent*. Obviously not as "serious" or whatever you want to call it as the S, but just a bundle of screaming fun. I kept going back to the Miata line -- even started driving the automatic because the line was shorter and, hell, you leave it in 2nd the whole course anyway. More track time!
Old 10-02-2006, 07:47 PM

The MS6 is known to have strange clutch feel.

MS6 owners know that this car really needs 93+ octane. I bet that these cars are probably running 87 octance. Owners said their car feels like there are a lot more power when using Sunaco 94. Maybe the reason for turbo lag? Because the turbo is twinscroll turbo technology from Mitsubishi's Evo... so there should not be turbo lag.

Quick Reply: Mazda ZoomZoom Live