Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Mazda paying people to test drive RX-8

Old 10-27-2003, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mazda paying people to test drive RX-8

Did anybody else get an email from Mazda asking them to test drive the new RX-8 and get a $25 gift certificate? I was planning on heading down to the Mazda dealer and checking out the RX-8, but now I have an invitation to drive one and get a reward for doing so. No way I'll get rid of the S2000, but I'm all for test driving new sports cars and getting paid to do so.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:41 AM

i think rx-8 is pretty fun car!!!!!!!!
i did my test drive when it came out and car was big and was flying!
able to do 80 with 2nd.
Of course dealer just gave me the key so i can go by myself!
Old 10-27-2003, 09:22 AM

I got to take one for the weekend and I must say that I am impressed. It handles really well, the traction control is great in the rain, the power is really impressive in all gears, and it was comfortable on a 2 hour drive. It is also hard to drive the speed limit. I found myself going 20 mph over the limit easily. I just didn't feel like I was going as fast as I really was. Of course, I am used to a Miata which is much noisier than the 8.

I must say that this is the first non-convertible car in a realistic price range that I would consider owning. Of course, I have not driven the '04 S2000 yet.

Kirk
Old 10-27-2003, 01:00 PM

I got take a pretty extensive test drive of one the other week and here are my thoughts on the car...

First the good....The engine is truly Turbine smooth and sounds great. Very nice midrange torque. I never got the feeling like I really needed to downshift to get where I wanted in traffic, Not that a downshift hurt mind you. The chassis feels rock solid, and the suspension is tight without being punishing over rough roads, even with the 18's. The Brakes felt rock solid, pulling the car down from 80+ really well.

The not so good...The stereo (bose upgrade) didn't sound all that great. The interior trim panels on the doors and the window trim felt on the cheap side. Granted it's supposed to be a drivers car first, so some weight can be shaved in places, but stuff like that should still have a more substantial feel to it than my Civic, and this didn't.

The Bad...This car had 800 miles on it or so, and already there was an ominous clunck/thunk coming from the driveline at times when engaging/disengaging first gear at a stop. With the sunroof there is no headroom for a 6'/6'1" guy like me. And if I wanted to get in the car with a helmet it would be impossible. The car is supposed to be better without the sunroof, but of the 12 they had on the lot, they all had the sunroof.

And finally, my biggest dissapointment was the car at full throttle. I'm sorry, but no way did the car pull like it had 240 hp. It felt really flat from 7k to 9k. Not really eager to get there. I can only hope that with more miles on it it loosens up, or the ECU wakes up, but this car really didn't seem to have the grunt Mazda claims.

All in all, it's a very nice car that I felt was let down by it's lack of top end power, and some questionable build quality.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my question is why is Mazda having trouble selling the Rx8 ? I've barely seen any on the road since they are all sitting on the Mazda dealerships.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:30 PM

I drove one too and loved the turbine sound and smoothness. Seemed plenty quick to me, though I admit I was coming from a Miata. Quiet, solid, seemed refined. But still good reflexes and excellent brakes. Didn't take it over 7k respecting the dealer's wishes, so can't comment on the oft-reported drop-off after 6500 or so.

Also got the $25 certificate offer. Hmmm, maybe I need to explore the high rpm a bit more, perhaps another drive?
Old 10-27-2003, 05:20 PM
Banned

When I tested one, I didn't get a damn dime, but it was all good. The car was pretty good, but I love my S much more. The interior of the RX8 seems pretty odd to me. But it's got room, lots of room compared to an S.

Perhaps I should take a few more test drives. Let's see: $25 x 300 = $7500, enough for a supercharger. What kinda certificate is it? Good for cash or only towards Mazda products? I don't mind spinning in an RX8 again, esp. for some cash.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by FCGuy
Hmmm, maybe I need to explore the high rpm a bit more....
Oh... the air up there....

I wouldn't be surprised if the RX-8 tachometer was as inaccurate as the HP rating.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:13 PM

A month ago a local Mazda dealer refused me a test drive despite having 8+ cars on the lot (they have even more now). I was told only serious buyers could get behind the wheel and even then only with a credit check. I should stop by again and ask them where all the serious buyers went...
Old 10-28-2003, 03:46 AM

Today is Tuesday. What does Mazda say the horsepower is now?

Quick Reply: Mazda paying people to test drive RX-8