Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Mazda CX-70/90

Old 05-24-2024, 07:35 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Mazda CX-70/90

This is a vehicle I really want to like. Not sure if it quite hits its target for being near-lux at a discount, or over-priced for standard variety SUVs.

It looks great, and Japanese-made is a plus, but it sounds like there are some teething issues with Mazda's new powertrain.

Old 05-24-2024, 08:39 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

I was very interested before buying a used Macan. From what I have seen/read lately, the goofy shifting behavior of the transmission has been remdied with the CX70 and re-programs for earlier models will be available shortly.

The interior is nice, the ride is nice. Seems like a really good package and it is pretty easy to get a few thousand off of MSRP, and by all accounts, the plug in hybrid is the model to go with due to greater efficiency, some electric range, and performance. My big disappointment with it is that I had hoped for more from the inline six. I am sure it will be reliable, but seems a bit sluggish compared to a BMW B58 six, although I think the Mazda will run just fine on 87 octane which is a big difference in fuel costs over the life of the car.
Old 05-25-2024, 08:33 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Sad state of affairs when on an enthusiast forum, people are debating CUV models. Oh my.
Old 05-25-2024, 10:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
Sad state of affairs when on an enthusiast forum, people are debating CUV models. Oh my.
God forbid, people have families and want something that isn't a two-seater.
Old 05-26-2024, 12:11 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by bkowa092
God forbid, people have families and want something that isn't a two-seater.
Plenty of vehicles out there for that, that aren’t another square CUV. God knows, the best vehicle for that is one of the Japanese AWD minivans.
Old 05-26-2024, 07:25 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

@TommyDeVito This is Car Talk, not snob talk, fyi. If you don't have anything positive to say on the subject, why post at all?
Old 05-27-2024, 09:18 AM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Plenty of vehicles out there for that, that aren’t another square CUV. God knows, the best vehicle for that is one of the Japanese AWD minivans.
you're very cool because you don't have a CUV
Old 05-27-2024, 12:16 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Have you driven a Sienna? The new one isn't that great to drive. I'd own it for the sake of efficiency but it's hardly a "great drive". The previous generation is fine but they're not that common. The only other AWD minivan is the Pacifica, which actually is decent to drive but has had horrible reliability in general. Everything else is FWD, for minivans.

I live in a place with a lot of rain and a fair bit of snow (300-400 cm per winter, though we've seen over 600 cm some years) and so AWD and ground clearance is a big bonus. Given the lack of AWD minivans, it really means that it's easier to find an AWD SUV. We've made do with a FWD Honda Odyssey until now and we'll do that for the foreseeable future. I may grab an AWD SUV/CUV as my daily as I have to drive in any conditions but for now, my Acura TL SH-AWD does the job. It just doesn't do so well when I'm doing my fall hunting trip(s) with offroad driving.

I'm down to a pickup (Ridgeline would do the job just fine, though an F-150 is a little easier to find up here) or medium SUV (4Runner, MDX, Pilot, Passport or even an RDX) for my next vehicle. My neighbour has the Ridgeline and loves it and I don't need a "big" truck, I just need something that can handle bad weather, light off-roading, and occasional hauling. The problem is, an F-150 offers WAY more interior room and power for the same money. Doesn't drive as well but it's a lot more vehicle for the price. Honestly, a Subaru Outback would do a decent job but they don't last that well up here - they're just not built like the Hondas or Toyotas, frankly. My buddy's has been a money pit compared to my Acura, but they do have pretty awesome ground clearance for a wagon and they have a ton of room inside.

I know you love the Ridgeline and it makes a lot of sense for my typical USE case, just not as much for my FAMILY (I have a wife and four kids and a Ridgeline can't fit us all in a pinch, but an F-150 can)... Given I use a five-seater sedan as a daily, it seems like I've survived this long without a bigger second vehicle, so we'll see how it goes. Prices are still nuts for used ones ($38-$40K for a used one here on the East Coast of Canada) and they're 4-6 years old...

Last edited by JonBoy; 05-30-2024 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-27-2024, 01:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't drive a CUV/SUV myself but I appreciate that people still want the "right tool for the job" with a fun driving experience. Honda doesn't offer that anymore in this class of vehicles, so that's why Mazda is the topic of discussion.

Last edited by bkowa092; 05-27-2024 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-28-2024, 01:09 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

The funny thing is that I like CUVs to be as practical at the price of dull as humanly possible. I really don't like vehicle designed to do things outside their intended purpose, but I realize that most vehicles are a series of compromised decisions. So when I hear sporty CUV/SUV/minivan/truck, my skepticism flag already goes up.

For instance, one of the last things I look at in CUVs is performane numbers, I care much more about MPGs than 0-60, and if track times are being heralded, it's a total turn off for me.

It's like if a t shirt says dry clean only, screw that I'm out.

I get the appeal of CUVs, we happily own one, I recommend them all the time. I will not recommend a Macan. Ever. Not because they're bad cars, they're actually quite good, the Macan S I drove was remarkably good. But did it make me want to quit sportscars? Not even close. Was it more fun to drive than a CRV? Absolutely. Right up until that first 2k tire change comes up, or the Porsche maintenance/repair bill, or that first VAG niche vehicle problem that winds up costing thousands comes up. Or when something get spilled in the back seat. Or everytime I cringe on every bump. It totally defeats the point of having a CUV, unless you truly have that level of disposable income. The funny thing is that those who have 100kish of truly disposable income, they typically can afford a fleet of cars so they don't have to compromise, or they're really practical/pragmatic with their money to the point of being miserly.

So to the Mazda CX_0 models, I don't get it. Chopped roof, a bit more sporty, but neither of them are transformative changes. Give me the higher roof line, the better mpgs, the cheaper maintenance schedule, etc.

I suppose though it can be argued that it's similar to coupes vs sedans, in that the weight difference of alot of sibling models between the coupe and sedan is negligble, so the only point of the coupe is strictly cosmetic at the expense of alot of practicality, so I suppose it's somewhat hypocritical of me to poo poo a chopped CUV but love coupes.
The following users liked this post:
Saki GT (05-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Mazda CX-70/90