Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Mazda 3 vs Ford Focus

Old 12-04-2013, 08:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The new Mazda exudes class above its price point/segment. The front end its gorgeous. I will definitely be test driving one of these sometime this week. I wonder how long it will take to get tired of looking at that face though.

The regular Focus lacks appeal for me, I am sure its a decent car but since the 250hp ST exists its hard for me to get excited about 160hp these days. Plus the focus Titanium has the same starting price as the ST so I definitely know what my choice would be.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:30 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
My wife traded in her 08 3 for a new Focus. Not sure the model she has, it is one step down from the "titanium" or whatever the top trim level is but it has leather and all kinds of bells and whistles.

She hates it for two reasons. First, she says "When I step on it, it does not go." I have driven it a couple times and it is a dog. It is not the turbo of course, but it kicks down lazily and the engine does not seem to have much power. She also hates the Ford touch, I have not messed with it. It is a nice looking car, and I think the interior is quite good except for it is a bit cramped and I am only 5'6". I'd go with the ST or whatever if looking for one because it definitely needs more power. She does get high thirties on her long commutes and except for a recall has had zero issues now with 25,000 on it.

Don't know anything about the new 3, she liked her old one and I thought it was more fun to drive but that was a 2 liter and did not have much power either, but it was spry.
I've driven the current Ford Focus a lot, and while I'm no fan of it I greatly disagree with a few of your comments (or wife's comments, whatever, lol). First the car moves pretty well for what it is. Stepping on it when merging onto the freeway and getting up to 80 mph is pretty easily accomplished. 160 hp for an economy car is nothing to sneeze at, especially with the amount of low end torque it has. Pretty easy to spin the tires at launch without trying.

Ford Touch sucks. It doesn't make much sense to me. The other day while borrowing a friend's Focus I spent 5 minutes getting my phone "sync'd" to the car (was difficult b/c even if you're only in 10 mph stop and go traffic SYNC won't let you sync a new phone while moving). After successfully sync'ing it I still could not figure out how to stream music from my phone to the stereo. Ridiculous!

The Focus's interior has plenty of room. I'm 6'2" and space has never been a problem. Plenty of leg room, plenty of headroom, etc. And plenty of space in the rear, as I was borrowing this Focus to pick up a 55" TV from Best Buy. Only thing I hate about being tall in that car is that when the seat is far enough back to accommodate me my head is behind the B pillar

Finally, yeah the interior quality is crap. Hard plastic and hard buttons galore.

Without even giving a Mazda3 a once over in person I would pick it over the Ford Focus.