Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Mazda 3 vs Ford Focus

Old 11-23-2013, 06:49 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Mazda 3 vs Ford Focus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPAq8...wQD_QFvKnNHvMI

Both are great cars - it would be a tough call to choose one over the other unless one just had that feature you loved or hated.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:08 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

The Ford is the typical domestic for me. I love the exterior design but I'd be killing myself looking at that horrible interior space on every drive.\

But man these reviewers are dull and boring.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, I cross shopped them for the daily driver position. Ended up with the Mazda 3i due entirely to pricing ($4k less + 0% financing) and HID's which Ford couldn't offer at the time at least.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:53 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

How do you like it so far?
Old 11-25-2013, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
How do you like it so far?
It's been a fantastic car for me, I've actually owned two of them. I purchased a 2012 3i GT w/Tech and drove it for ~33k miles in 11 months without any hiccups and just had the general maintenance done (oil changes really.) The dealership I bought it from shot me a random email as a followup around that time and they had a '13 model that was identical but had some additional goodies (LED tails, better nav system, turn signal mirrors, etc) and I ended up trading the old one in on it. We worked out a good deal on pricing so I didn't lose any money and it's as if I leased the '12 for a year without a mileage penalty.

New one has been just as solid. I haven't had to deal with any major maintenance yet but it's at 20k miles in ~6 months. Gas mileage has been pretty good as well, 36-38MPG regularly without me babying it or anything.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm still holding out for the 2.5 with stick. The C&D magazine article alluded to this also, basically insinuating it would have been a larger margin of victory with more juice.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by billios996
I'm still holding out for the 2.5 with stick. The C&D magazine article alluded to this also, basically insinuating it would have been a larger margin of victory with more juice.
I'd expect it to come out, when I bought mine the 6 speed for the 2.0L wasn't available if you got a GT w/ Tech which was upsetting a bit but the automatic has been pretty good. The 2.5L (non-Sky)could get the manual options in all trims.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:29 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

My wife traded in her 08 3 for a new Focus. Not sure the model she has, it is one step down from the "titanium" or whatever the top trim level is but it has leather and all kinds of bells and whistles.

She hates it for two reasons. First, she says "When I step on it, it does not go." I have driven it a couple times and it is a dog. It is not the turbo of course, but it kicks down lazily and the engine does not seem to have much power. She also hates the Ford touch, I have not messed with it. It is a nice looking car, and I think the interior is quite good except for it is a bit cramped and I am only 5'6". I'd go with the ST or whatever if looking for one because it definitely needs more power. She does get high thirties on her long commutes and except for a recall has had zero issues now with 25,000 on it.

Don't know anything about the new 3, she liked her old one and I thought it was more fun to drive but that was a 2 liter and did not have much power either, but it was spry.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
My wife traded in her 08 3 for a new Focus. Not sure the model she has, it is one step down from the "titanium" or whatever the top trim level is but it has leather and all kinds of bells and whistles.

She hates it for two reasons. First, she says "When I step on it, it does not go." I have driven it a couple times and it is a dog. It is not the turbo of course, but it kicks down lazily and the engine does not seem to have much power. She also hates the Ford touch, I have not messed with it. It is a nice looking car, and I think the interior is quite good except for it is a bit cramped and I am only 5'6". I'd go with the ST or whatever if looking for one because it definitely needs more power. She does get high thirties on her long commutes and except for a recall has had zero issues now with 25,000 on it.

Don't know anything about the new 3, she liked her old one and I thought it was more fun to drive but that was a 2 liter and did not have much power either, but it was spry.
Did she test drive the car at all before buying it? I'm not defending the Focus at all, but it seems like the two things she hates are two huge reasons to take a car for a test drive in the first place. And it has been the experience of folks the world over that four cylinder economy cars simply do not go when you press the gas. Which is why people buy cars other than economy cars

I find your feedback useful, but it just seems odd the two main complaints would be pretty obvious to anyone on the first day. She did buy the car, so there has to be something she likes about it.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:43 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Originally Posted by vader1' timestamp='1385479769' post='22895538

Did she test drive the car at all before buying it? I'm not defending the Focus at all, but it seems like the two things she hates are two huge reasons to take a car for a test drive in the first place.

The short answer is no. My wife buys cars she thinks are "cute" first and foremost and then complains about the shortcomings later. She did test drive it, but her idea of one is to spin it around the block for about two minutes and then pull the trigger. Her complaints about the engine could have easily been seen with a decent test drive, but that is not how her very female mind works.

I think it is a well put together machine and a decent car for the money, but it is not a rocket, and the interior is small. If you get by those two things, it has a lot to offer for an economy car that is well appointed. But it (in non turbo form) is not for those who want to go fast.

The complaints about Ford touch are probably sound because everybody complains about Ford Touch.

Quick Reply: Mazda 3 vs Ford Focus