Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Make it illegal to warm up your car unlocked?

Old 03-10-2005, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, it sounds pretty dumb to make this illegal. I'm from the midwest, and I don't recall a huge rash of car-thefts-due-to-unlocked-warming-up ever being reported. Nor have I ever heard such a thing reported on the nightly news or whatever.

Ya it sounds dumb to leave your car unlocked while it's on and keys are at hand. But like others have said here, next thing you know it'll be illegal to leave your windows cracked while the car is parked. The last thing we need is cops trolling for such things in the parking lots of our malls and businesses.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by no_really,Mar 9 2005, 12:34 PM
It is illegal in most locales to leave a car unattended while running. In many cases, insurance companies will refuse to cover thefts of such vehicles. There is a reason. But probably the best single thing to cut down on car theft is to increase the penalty. I'm thinking of the old law that makes it a capital offense to steal a horse. It sounds harsh, but it would be hard to argue it didn't have a reason behind it - you don't hang a horse thief for stealing horses, you hang him so others don't steal horses. A slap on the wrist and probation doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent. perhaps harsher penalties for buying a stolen car would be appropriate, as well.
not on private property. it would be like trying to impose speed limits in driveways.

most A-rated insurance companies (State Farm, Nationwide, etc.) will honor the policy no matter how the vehicle is stolen. part of the language in the policy allows for permission to use the vehicle as a method for determining liability. even if the car is unlocked and running, the theif requies permission to use the vehicle.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ruexp67,Mar 9 2005, 09:53 AM
I agree with dcak. Stupid? Yes. Illegal? No.

I am not afraid of the random theif quite so much as I am afraid one of the neighborhood kiddies will come along and take off for a joy ride.
it's a good thing most of them can't drive stick
Old 03-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Banned

there's a rash of these kinds of thefts during any long cold spell here in Minneapolis, and it often sees the evening news. Insurance policies are not all the same, and vary from state to state, but according to the last time I saw one of these reports, they listed a number of companies that wouldn't honor stolen car claims when the car was left running while unattended, likely at least in part to the fact that that in itself is an illegal act in Minnesota. It's not often enforced, but I am sure the police and insurance companies would prefer people made it harder to steal a car than easy as pie. Remote start systems that leave the car essentially undrivable without the keys are not prohibited.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:38 PM

The way I look at it, the benefit of me not having to not sit in a freezing car while it's warming up, outweighs the small chance that someone has targeted my car for theft. I would weigh this decision against what kind of neighborhood my car is located, of course. But I think it's wrong to make a law against this. I would not argue that my decision to warm it up unattended is not the safest decision, but I think gov't is overstepping it's bounds by regulating this by law. Just as I don't feel like I should have to lock my front door if I'm running somewhere quick, or sitting in my living room. Technically, it's not the safest thing to do, but I'd rather not worry about everyone in the world trying to steal from me.