Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

maintenance labor charges

Old 04-21-2006, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maintenance labor charges

yo

i need to have my tranny fluid and diff fluids changed. what is a fair labor charge on each? should I get charged less, if these are done at the same time? i will provide the parts. i am talking about a regular mechanic, BTW, not a stealership.

also, what is the fair labor charge for a clutch fluid change and a brake fluid change? and how often should the clutch/brake fluids be changed? what is the correct fluid for each? (i think they use the same fluid, but in different systems/reservoirs)

thanks
Old 04-21-2006, 07:49 AM
bkw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it yourself.

Jack up the rear and do the diff first. Once completed, jack up the drivers side and do the tranny and clutch fluid (This is also a good time to change your oil too). Once youve finished refilling the tranny fluid, get on top with a turkey baster and remove all the fluid from the resevoir. Wipe clean with a rag and refill.

Everything should take about 2-3 hours and cost about $30 in parts ($50 if you change the oil with M1).

If you were to pay someone to do it, I would imagine it'd be quite expensive. At least 1 hour labor for each proceedure.. 3 hours of labor x $75 (usual rate) = $225.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:51 AM

i have no room to do this; I live in W LA; trust me - NO ROOM

back to labor charges, please

thanks
Old 04-21-2006, 08:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If they multi-tasked, it could get done in one hour easy, however, I'm sure they will charge honda book time for each regardless of how long it takes, which is probably 1.5ish hours or something ridiculous.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by DimaK321,Apr 21 2006, 08:37 AM
yo

i need to have my tranny fluid and diff fluids changed. what is a fair labor charge on each? should I get charged less, if these are done at the same time? i will provide the parts. i am talking about a regular mechanic, BTW, not a stealership.

also, what is the fair labor charge for a clutch fluid change and a brake fluid change? and how often should the clutch/brake fluids be changed? what is the correct fluid for each? (i think they use the same fluid, but in different systems/reservoirs)

thanks
If you provide all the fluids, then the labor charge at a good independent shop should be less than $150 for less than 2 hours to do: transmission, differential, brake and clutch. I do not take my cars to dealers for any maintenance, I found a good independent shop to do all my maintenances and repairs in Orange County and their labor charge is very reasonable. My definition of good shops: they will only do what you tell them to do, sometimes they even tell you not to do somethings that they think that it was not needed. If anything that was needed to be done soon, they would tell you that you need to pay attention to those parts, but not talking you to do it at their shop right away.

I have these fluids in my 04 S2000:
Transmission: GM Synchromesh Friction Modified, about $25 for 2 quarts
Differential: Mobil1 75W90, about $10 for 1 quart
Brake and Clutch: Prestone Dot 4, about $12 for 4 pints
Old 04-22-2006, 05:37 PM

.5 for the diff fluid, .5 for the tranny fluid, .3 for clutch fluid and 1 hour for the brake fluid, which is usually flushed. so about 2-2.5 book hours . independent shops charge anywhere from $50-90 an hour. parts are extra
Old 04-22-2006, 09:26 PM

I had differential, transmission and clutch fluids change last summer, my indy charged me 1 hour labor for all three jobs at $50 and I think it was fair price. At first they did not think that I needed to change all these flluid because my S was only 10k miles, I had to tell then that I like to have new fluids for better shifting gears.

I had brake flush on my LS400 2 years ago, they charged me only $40 labor.

All parts was provided by me.