Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Main things to look for in a used bike?

Old 06-04-2002, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main things to look for in a used bike?

I'm about to buy my first bike, a used F4i from a buddy of mine, and I was wondering what I should look for? Damages that is, and what the motor SHOULD sound like. I'm still a newbie to bikes, so I'd appreciate all the help. Thanks guys
Old 06-04-2002, 11:25 AM

First thing is not to let him/her charge you extra for any mods that have been done. Stock bikes actually end up getting a higher purchase price than modified.

Check the inside of the tank for scratches from careless nozzle insertion and look for rust inside. Check the foot pegs and passanger pegs for damage. If the foot pegs are scraped the bike may have been down or the rider is riding the bike hard and was draggin the pegs. Damaged passanger pegs means the bike's been down on that side. Obviously, look for scratches in the fairings. Check the tires for wear. Check slack on the chain. Get maintanance records.

The F4i is famous for a rattling CCT that can be fixed under warranty, so see if that's been done. You'll hear a rattle when the revs are between 4k-6k.

You're welcome to check out my bike to compare. I'll even come with if you want. Let me know...

InsaniT
Old 06-04-2002, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by InsaniT
If the foot pegs are scraped...the rider is riding the bike hard and was draggin the pegs.
What's wrong w/ that?

CBR600's (all gens) have notoriously low pegs that are easy to scrape. Certainly doesn't hurt anything, just shows that the bike is being used for its designed purpose.
Old 06-04-2002, 08:31 PM

You've got a good start here.

I'd add the following:

evidence of proper maintenance
good tires
good brakes
check the mirrors and turn signals for signs of being dropped.

it's probably worth your $ to have a competent mechanic give the bike a once over before you buy. the cost should be nominal and it may save your bacon.

on a side note, i'd seriously reconsider buying an f4i as a first bike. no offense intended because they are fantastic bikes but that's way too much bike for a beginner, IMO. you can learn on this bike and you may get lucky, but trust some of us old timers... start smaller and work your way up.

thus endeth the sermon.
Old 06-05-2002, 01:33 AM

I test rode it and it seemed to ride fine. No rattle between 4-6k. I took it up to 10k.

The bike has been dropped a couple times, and the bottom of the right fairing is cracked, but I can replace that.

Tires seemed fine.
Brakes seemed fine (also has steel braided brake lines).
No mirrors on the bike, yet.
Chain didn't seem to have a lot of slack.

anyways, although this is my first bike, I'm getting it because of the deal I'm getting. $4000. I just can't pass it up. He's just getting rid of it so that he can buy a new bike.