Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

For M3 coupe owners, I need a review

Old 06-04-2005, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For M3 coupe owners, I need a review

Particularly the new M3 coupes. My friend's at the point that he's seriously considering plopping the down payment for one now, but dealers won't let him test drive. Up to this point, he's been driving a Volvo beater, and now has now saved up comfortably enough for an M3, so this would be totally new to him. He doesn't plan on spending more money than an M3 range. He plans to track it just as much as I do in my Evo, so this car is no status car for him.

So for you M3 coupe owners, can you give some insight on how the car is, on and off the tracks? Maintenance, mod-ability, anything that you would like to share? We've heard about how much of a performance beast it is, how easy/difficult is it to drive at the limits? Are there any other cars that you would have other than the M3, within reason?
Old 06-04-2005, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There has to be a dealer that'll let him drive one. I was seriously interested in the M3 back in '03, all it took was a (refundable) deposit, and I was able to take it out for an extended test drive (half a day).
Old 06-04-2005, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by koala,Jun 4 2005, 01:37 PM
There has to be a dealer that'll let him drive one. I was seriously interested in the M3 back in '03, all it took was a (refundable) deposit, and I was able to take it out for an extended test drive (half a day).
What the!? Half a day's worth of test driving?? I don't think we can even do that to a civic, lol. But anyways, even if he could test drive one, I doubt there's much he can do to it. So that's why we wanna see the veteran M3 owners share some longterm and abuseful experience .
Old 06-04-2005, 11:46 AM

If the BMW dealer won't let him test drive the car before he buys it, find another dealer.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Thoe99,Jun 4 2005, 01:41 PM
What the!? Half a day's worth of test driving?? I don't think we can even do that to a civic, lol. But anyways, even if he could test drive one, I doubt there's much he can do to it. So that's why we wanna see the veteran M3 owners share some longterm and abuseful experience .
There has to be a way. Houston has what... 4 million people? I'm 21 years old, I was 19 years old when I test drove the M3 (the first time), and the city I lived in only had two BMW dealers (1 million people).

I put down a deposit of $2,500, pending approval on test drive. I loved the car, but it wasn't "fun" to drive.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:11 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've only driven an M3 not an owner.

IMO there has got to be a great number of better track cars. The car is heavy and expensive, not exactly the best combination for a track car. It can be modded but generally that's expensive as well.

It's got good thrust, but it's not incredibly fun to drive at the limits.

To be quite honest, a used C5 Z06 for low $30s or a new C6 (if he wants a new car) for the same money as a M3.

Not to say the M3 isn't a great car, but to me it's like more of a luxury GT, perhaps one of the best. I'd buy one for daily driving, but if I wanted more of a track special an Elise or a Boxster or a C6 are more what I'd look for.

The M3 weighs 34xx lbs, I drove my friends back to back against my S2000 (28xx lbs) and the biggest thing I noticed was the extra 600 lbs. Yes the M was faster in a straight line, and more practical, but not as much fun to drive as the S2000.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:12 PM

[QUOTE=Thoe99,Jun 4 2005, 11:19 AM] Particularly the new M3 coupes.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Thoe99,Jun 4 2005, 11:19 AM
Particularly the new M3 coupes. My friend's at the point that he's seriously considering plopping the down payment for one now, but dealers won't let him test drive. Up to this point, he's been driving a Volvo beater, and now has now saved up comfortably enough for an M3, so this would be totally new to him.
Tell him to save up more and wait for the new V8 one coming out. In the meantime, buy an used one. (You can test drive the used ones easily)

If he plans on tracking it, why buy a brand new ~$55-60K car? Is not like he is rich... otherwise he wouldn't have to save money for it. A '02 can be had for around $40K.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Gymkata,Jun 4 2005, 05:12 PM
If your friend is going to used this as a track-only car, I think there are definitely more options. If it's going to be his daily driver as well, then M3 is a pretty good option.
I think that about sums it up.

I wouldn't do additional oil changes unless I was planning to keep it for a long long time. Maintenance is an additional $1100 to cover you up to 100,000 miles. That inlcudes brakes and windshield wipers as well. So overall, I think it would cost almost nothing to maintain. The only thing you have to change are the tires. Gas mileage is the same or better than the S2000.

Comparing my old S to my M3 is really difficult. It is much more of a cruiser than the S is. The M3 is loud compared to other cars but very quiet compared to the S. I haven't had the opportunity to try the M on the track but it seems to be able to grip the road well. The electronic nanny keeps you on check as well. Mod's won't do much for the car as stated above. People pay $600 (which I think is ridiculous) just to get rid of the raspy exhaust sound. I think the lease expensive exhaust is around $1000.

I say purchase a used 03.5-04 and wait on the new M3. Best of both worlds. If your friend has specific questions, tell him to have you ask for him.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:41 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel L,Jun 4 2005, 09:40 PM
Gas mileage is the same or better than the S2000.

The M3 is rated 16/24 or 16/23 (less highway mpg for the smg) combined you're at 20mpg. Top it off you have to pay $1K gas guzzler tax on the M3.

S2000 epa mileage is 20/25 combined you're at 22.5 mpg.

The M3 makes more hp and is heavier than the S2000, has a much worse city epa rating and you're paying $1K for gas guzzler tax.

I'll go so far as to say there's no way in hell the M3 gets better mileage than the S2000.

Quick Reply: For M3 coupe owners, I need a review