Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

M2

Old 02-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Gold Member (Premium)Member (Premium)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
The question I find myself asking more and more with cars like the new M2, and really the entire M lineup, is at what point do you have to really consider an EV? I don't ask myself that while driving a Miata or an S2000. Give me lightweight, a good manual, a charismatic engine, no nannies, I don't care about ring times. But I do find myself asking that question while driving... a GTR? Or the new M3. And while both don't sound terrible, they both don't have sound tracks that make me want to own them, unlike a V8 or an aircooled flat six, or even a well sorted four banger (cost is a consideration too). Because as much as BMW owners love to discuss ring times and such, most M cars aren't seeing the track with any sort of regularity. They're being used like muscle cars for the most part, but instead of wearing denim they're wearing wool, the difference is that BMW has enough nannies and the drivers have enough assets and liabilities to keep them from plunging into crowds, but otherwise they're the same but different. They're great cars to drive around in, have powaaaaa, and that's pretty much it. In which case, might as well get an EV. Drive around in total comfort and have insane amount of powaaaa.

Because no one is going to buy the new M2, at even half the price, solely for the chassis tuning alone if it didn't come with that motor. It's why the Camaro is deceased while the Challenger and Charger live on (a little longer).

Truth be told, I think if they styled the M2 better, it'd be a hit. BMW fanbois were more upset with the front grilles than they were with weight increase.
This is thinking that is shaping my next fun car decision, and has put the first gen (face lift) R8 V10 on the short list. Either gear box is exceptional, and the powerplant is special. There's no way I could access the performance on the street, and there are no tracks anywhere near me, so I'll settle for accessing amazing automotive theater. I'd love to consider a C8Z06, but I refuse to pay any type of ADM.

Last edited by bruthaboost; 02-21-2024 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:00 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Right on cue. And that's a Kia, just imagine what the industry will eventually start producing eventually.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:06 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by bruthaboost
This is thinking that is shaping my next fun car decision, and has put the first gen (face lift) R8 V10 on the short list. Either grear box is exceptional, and the powerplant is special. There's no way I could access the performance on the street, and there are no tracks anywhere near me, so I'll settle for accessing amazing automotive theater. I'd love to consider a C8Z06, but I refuse to pay any type of ADM.
Theater, you nailed it right on the head. I think what's happening now is people want that analog experience and are realizing that performance is not top of that list. Things like mechanical engagement, driver feedback, sound, and various other attributes outrank it on the list. If performance is at the top of the list of what you're looking for in a car, the EV argument gets more compelling by the day. I think people are conditioned to associate noise with performance. There was a time no one wanted to hear anything other than a V8 or more, and while that's still mostly true, there's definitely alot more appreciation for smaller engines now than ever before. It's just conditioning.

The R8 is a great example, for the money there are perhaps faster cars or whatever, but V10 sound track with a gated shifter, I mean cmon. Sure, a modern V6 turbo and a dual clutch will probably outperform it, but who cares. It delivers the theater.

If the C8 Z06 came with a manual, man oh man, that's a true flat plane unlike the Ford Voodoo. Man oh man, the NSX Honda should've made.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To all those concerned my 2024 M2 sticker price $66,595
Alot of value for what I got, I wasn’t willing to pay double or more for a used 911.
PS when I go t the M2 forums they’re not bashing the S2000
Old 02-21-2024, 01:29 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Did Audi make a V10 manual R8?

West Coast Exotic Cars introduces this incredible 2014 Audi R8 V10 with the rare gated manual transmission option! 1 of only 51 V10 R8 Coupes with a manual transmission ever produced for the US!

I bet they come with a premium for a manual. I was doing my usual obsessive looking into used car prices and saw lots of Giulia Quads for mid forties if it was a 2017/18 era with about 30-40,000 miles. That is a huge amount of car for the money and having been on the Alfa boards for a while, once you get past 2020, there are several interior upgrades and a few early bugs got worked out. If I don't go with a manual for car #3, it will be on my short list. They are pretty amazing.
Old 02-21-2024, 01:41 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Sfl2000
To all those concerned my 2024 M2 sticker price $66,595
Alot of value for what I got, I wasn’t willing to pay double or more for a used 911.
PS when I go t the M2 forums they’re not bashing the S2000
Have you been on bimmerpost?
Every M3/M4 forum has a "m3/m4 vs." section. They are always comparing other cars. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 02-21-2024, 03:52 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Did Audi make a V10 manual R8?
Look up on YT for videos on that thing, maintenance, etc. I ran through it a few years ago. Really researched it and the B7 RS4. Do the deep dive.
Old 02-23-2024, 03:49 AM
Gold Member (Premium)Member (Premium)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
Look up on YT for videos on that thing, maintenance, etc. I ran through it a few years ago. Really researched it and the B7 RS4. Do the deep dive.
This is the head space I'm currently in. The manual does carry a premium ,but fortunately it got a DCT for the 2012-2015 years. You can manual swap them, and there is plenty of documentation to walk you through it, but It will hurt resale if you care.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:26 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by bruthaboost
This is the head space I'm currently in. The manual does carry a premium ,but fortunately it got a DCT for the 2012-2015 years. You can manual swap them, and there is plenty of documentation to walk you through it, but It will hurt resale if you care.
The maintenance isn’t nothing to sneeze at IMO. No thanks. Very attention getting as well. I’d rather have the B7 RS4 but finding one low mileage is almost nil. And even if you did, the seller would overprice the living F out of it. The R8 videos I watched were a lot of fools buying them used, reporting on cost to operate, etc. You could tell they were taking care of it to resell it at some point. I only buy permanent vehicles now. Ain’t wasting a dime or dollar, and certainly not wasting the most valuable asset in life, TIME.
Old 02-26-2024, 05:23 AM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Most modern bmw manuals are pretty mediocre because the throws are long and less mechanical. But if you get a AutoSolutions kit by Ronald, you will be shocked how good the manual will feel.
I have one on order from him for my manual too. The other improvement is getting the Turner shifter bushing, and a different shift knob; both have had a big improvement in feel and throw length. Clutch stop and removing the CDV help with clutch feel and brings it closer to an 'enthusiast' type of car, not one built for the mass market.
The following users liked this post:
s.hasan546 (02-28-2024)

Quick Reply: M2