Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Luxury Sedan for under $25,000

Old 09-02-2008, 06:59 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S,Sep 2 2008, 10:10 AM
Just curious, what's the point of slamming a luxury sedan and putting 20's on it? Isn't a nice ride quality one of the main reasons to get a luxury car? Slam it, and you'll lose that plus it still won't handle that great.
The M45 is a nice car, but if you want rims and a slammed car, buy a 300 imo.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just remember, the old adage is true: if you couldn't afford it when it was new, you can't afford it now.

Wait until something breaks on that A8. All of a sudden, that $25K that you thought was a good deal doesn't look so good anymore.

I've had to learn this lesson the hard way. I'm not going to buy a used luxury car, especially a German big lux car, out of warranty again. I realize I'll pay depreciation on a new one, but somehow that still feels better than paying for outrageous repair prices.

And don't tell me that you can fix it yourself, because you can't.

--michael
Old 09-02-2008, 07:51 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Having owned used German luxo cars from Audi and BMW, I can tell you that a good car will hold up mechanically just as well as any old Accord - where you'll get burned is on hunting down electrical issues, just like with an Accord, but luxo cars have TONS more electronics that can start to act up. Plus, unless they do it consistently it can cost hundreds of dollars just to play around and id them since you tyically need a mechanic with a computer to find stuff anymore.

Any 5 year old car will have minimal issues, but as you get closer to ten, things start to fail mechanically, and the parts and labor are largely the same for an Audi A8 as they are for a VW Golf - its the dealership labor rates and list prices that change - you need a good private mechanic and some wrenching capability of your own.

You should look at luxury cars in the 3-5 yr old range that fit your budget and not see what fits your budget even though it may be 6-10 yrs old imo. It may be a GS instead of an LS, an A6 instead of an A8, etc, but it will be a better buy.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:49 AM

^^ Thanks for the honest opinions, which makes me want to keep my reliable S2000. Also, going to the gallery session helps, especially after seeing that hot GPW with Spoon bumper and bronzes RE30.

I just had the idea of switching cars because recently someone threw a rock and shattered my driver's side window, which have me thinking it is getting a little too much attention.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:04 AM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by sahtt,Aug 31 2008, 08:43 PM
If LS430's are cheap enough, I'd get that if you want the more reliable/efficient luxury car.

On the other side, 745.

The M45 shown above is a fantastic value and more unique then the rest. Not sure on the reliability, but i bet it's as good as everything but the lexus.
I have the chance to get an 2004 LS430 Fully loaded (every option checked), 50Kmiles, for $25K.
Still deciding....
Old 09-02-2008, 09:32 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by 8_ball,Sep 2 2008, 05:57 AM
As an aside, I saw a 1990 420 SEL for sale this past weekend, very clean, 92k miles, asking $6,500. My all-time fav highway cruiser. This was built at a time when Mercedes didn't care about costs or margins, they just built the best car they could. What a tank, you could probably run that car for another 10 years easy. As the old-timers like to say, they just don't make em like that anymore.
Yes, that 420 SEL is built like a tank. That seems like a decent buy if you have a good non-dealership MB mechanic to fix the little things that may go wrong. My aunt still has an '89 560SEL with 250k miles that still runs great. On original tranny and motor. Few, if any, squeaks and rattles. It's pretty amazing. Definitely the era when MB screwed and bolted cars together versus snapping cheap panels on with clips.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:16 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Dad has a 1994 S320 and it's been mechanically perfect with only a few minor glitches with switchgear and such. No major problems yet and it still gets great gas mileage, has decent power, and is holding up well inside. Those old Benzes were very reliable for such a big, luxurious car...
Old 09-02-2008, 10:47 AM

If I were in your position I would be looking at the RL or a Lexus (GS, LS). As has already been stated before, I would be too scared of something serious breaking in one of the German cars to make them really appealing to me.

I would probably go with the RL. It has 300-hp, AWD, great interior, Honda reliability and it looks nice, which is becoming rarer and rarer with Acura these days.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:07 AM

I remember my dad used to have a 560SEL a long time ago when I was a kid. Now, after reading up on the 86-91 560SEL, I want one as a DD. They really are solid cars and well built.

http://www.mbcoupes.com/buyersguide/buyersguide.htm
Old 09-02-2008, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-> Since the M45 is out of the list, of all of your choice I'd pick either a Acura RL or a LS430.

Acura RL-> Weather-proof motoring (AWD), gadgets and gizmos galore, sportier drive, will likely to be rare, size just right (not too bulky).

Lexus LS430-> Silky-smooth motoring, not exactly fun to drive, larger and more refined inside, almost bullet-proof (reliability), best alternative to the S-class and A8.

^ Personally of the two, I'd pick the RL. I got inside of both cars (although I haven't driven both), I like the RL's atmosphere. I'm 6'3 and the RL is just right, while the Lexus felt more fragile inside, I'm afraid of touching everything (looks so expensive), like a typical German luxo-cars. The German's on the other hand are good if you are keeping them for no more than 3 years.

-> If I ever get the RL, I'll turn it into this:

^ A little re-badge, doesn't hurt.

Quick Reply: Luxury Sedan for under $25,000