Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Luxury Sedan for under $25,000

Old 09-01-2008, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, LS430 has a really nice ride but rather boring. This car is a possibility to replace my current S2000 so I want to get one that can handle decently.

I think there are too many choices out there right now that I think I should take my time choosing. Still, would like to hear from owners of these cars.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-> I like tho old M45, you can't get any more JDM than that. If you would like to do a VIP kit on it that thing would ne sick:

JDM Gloria yo!

^ I would own this car, someday.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:52 PM

Wow I didn't know these luxury sedans depriciate like crazy.
Hm I wouldn't mind buying A8 under $25k.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:42 PM

I was in your boat about 18 months ago, looking at the same cars but my limit was about $10k more. Below were my thoughts:

A8 - my sentimental fav, have always loved this car, even back in the late 1990s (S8, mmm). But despite its great lines and stunning interior, I was too wary of cost of ownership once it broke 60k miles. Bottom line - great if you can lease under warrenty then turn in the keys but a little scary if you were the second man in.

5 series - great car, more sportier and connected than the A8. But like some others have said, lots of tech packed into these, leading to the potential of major $$ if something needed rebooted out of warrenty. Edmunds did a long-term test on a used 5 series about a year ago, concluded that it was a truly great drivers car but needed an 'allowance' post-warrenty. As for the 7 series, I know too many people that have had fits with them. And that was under warrenty.

Infinity - older M series just don't do it for me, just not a fan of the styling. Newer Ms are better but for whatever reason, they never made my short list. I haven't seen the Q mentioned - for me that one earned a bit more consideration. Great car but at the end of the day, couldn't overcome rwd and the need for a second set of wheels/tires (northern Ohio, you know) plus very little history w/Nissan products.

Lexus - seriously considered the LS. Great car, major upgrades between 2003 and 2004. You could run these up to 200k and beyond with little worry for being eaten up with maintenance costs. End of the day, despite its silky smooth ride, ultra-quiet interior and long list of gadgets, it just felt a little too disconnected for me. Kind of like the girl next door (and in many cases, she may have been the right choice). GS didn't cut it for me, interior felt tight.

Mercedes E-class - haven't seen this one mentioned either. Very nice car, good balance of performance and comfort. But a friend of mine had one and had some very strange things crop up (rusting rear quarter panels, tranny issues, electronic gremlins) so this steered me away.

So all this led me to my end choice, a MY05 RL. Picked it up in Feb 07 w/38k miles for $32k and have been very happy so far. Now have 62k miles, no issues. Smooth, sporty, SHAWD is great in this climate, understated. So far, no complaints. But my head still snaps whenever I see an A8 cruise by.

Good luck
Old 09-01-2008, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Vanishing Boy,Sep 1 2008, 03:13 PM
-> I like tho old M45, you can't get any more JDM than that. If you would like to do a VIP kit on it that thing would ne sick:

JDM Gloria yo!

^ I would own this car, someday.
yeh i picked the M45 for a VIP project:

My aerokit has been ordered (i'm having it pieced together from OEM kouki gloria sport package)

When i figure out how low i want to go, i'll slap on some special 19's or 20's probably from BBS or Ray's

Honestly one wouldn't do bad with either the M or G, i have an 2003 G35 i picked up new back then, and its been basically problem free despite being a 1st year car.

The Y50 Fuga/ M35/45 is pretty much a big G35, and i'd guess from my own experience with both the V35 and Y34 it is pretty reliable.

Drive all these things, the M45 for example rides and steers like a boat. huge turning circle and floaty ride.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:10 PM

8 ball, THanks alot!!

That's what I am looking for and I feel the same way as the way you feel about those cars. The Infinites just doesn't do it for me.

Now, my choices narrowed to these four Audi A8L, BMW 530i, LS430, and Acura RL. Also, did I mention NSX. Hahah, I found a very good condition 1991 Silver for 28k. Ah, I dont' know what to do.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:18 PM

get the nsx its closer to the s2000 than any luxo car.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:28 PM

but, NSX will cost me a fortune because of mods.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:57 AM

Found the article in Edmunds on the long-term test of a used BMW 5-series.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=102443

NSX is obviously a different animal but newest Car & Driver just named it as a best choice for under $25k. Interesting read if you haven't seen the article.

As an aside, I saw a 1990 420 SEL for sale this past weekend, very clean, 92k miles, asking $6,500. My all-time fav highway cruiser. This was built at a time when Mercedes didn't care about costs or margins, they just built the best car they could. What a tank, you could probably run that car for another 10 years easy. As the old-timers like to say, they just don't make em like that anymore.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious, what's the point of slamming a luxury sedan and putting 20's on it? Isn't a nice ride quality one of the main reasons to get a luxury car? Slam it, and you'll lose that plus it still won't handle that great.

Quick Reply: Luxury Sedan for under $25,000