Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

LR3 v MDX ?

Old 11-21-2006, 02:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by no_really,Nov 21 2006, 05:07 PM
where I live, we get snow. Some years tons, some years not so much. But most of the winter the roads are dry.
Where I live, lots of towns don't even use salt, they just throw sand down on the roads, and trust me, brown hard packed snow is just as slippery as white hard packed snow...
Old 11-21-2006, 03:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rai,Nov 21 2006, 04:52 PM
this is a misconception about snow tires. There are now so-called 'performance snow tires' which would be better called 'winer tires'

The all-season tires don't do well in snow we know that, but like you said 95% of the time it's cleared in the first few hours. But it's still cold and it's the cold temps where the winter tires do better than all season (not to mention when ther is snow on the ground).

Yes, you can probably get by with all-season tires where I live, but the performance snow tires don't give up any dry grip (at least when it's cold which is 90% of the winter) so you can drive them in dry conditions. But when it does snow and we have all been out there, even if they plow a lot, there will always be snow covered roads from time to time. Then I like the piece of mind with a snow tire.

Oddly the only vehicle I don't have snow tires for is my Trooper. It's got those wide-gap treads, not exactly off-road, but def 'truck tires' and I think those plus the weight of the Trooper do OK in the snow.

If it's not deep deep snow, I'd rather be in my Legacy AWD wagon. But if it's a foot of snow, I would take the Trooper. Probably would be even better with snow tires, but I'm not keeping it long enough to make the price of an extra set of wheels and tires worth while.
hey, I drive around on performance tires in a Mustang GT every winter in MN, but I'm certainly not recommending it for everyone

I'm just saying most all-season tires have siping and a softer rubber compound on the outer surface, which make them essentially quiet snow tires for the first winter. You can't run all-season tires down to the threads and expect them to perform, any more than you could expect the same from a snow tire.

If you can afford a brand new vehicle, yes, you should be able to afford an extra set of wheels/tires just for winter. But some people don't have storage room or a place to work on their car, so their options are limited. Some people just don't have the inclination to swap tires twice a year. That's why all-season tires exist. Every tire is a compromise - summer tires are poor in cold weather, winter tires wear rapidly on dry pavement, and all-season tires are really only good for one winter. Everyone makes the compromises they are willing to live with.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Nov 20 2006, 01:55 PM
Actually weight is your friend when it comes to getting traction. I make lots of road trips, and be it in a hard rain, a hard snowfall or worse, my big 4x4 full size truck is just so comfortable and confidence inspiring. A recent trip to Toronto was done in a very heavy rain, and at 83mph the truck felt great, because with that weight and good tires there were no hydroplaning issues.
Weight is your friend until you have to stop or manuever at 83 mph. I'd much rather be in a car with the right tire than an SUV or Pickup truck any day.

That said, I've lived in North Dakota for the past year and a half so I've had some experience with our MDX (and the S2000) in snow between 8-12". On the OE tires, the MDX is pretty impressive in the snow. It handles a lot like a car. The new MDX looks much bigger so I'm not sure it'll have the same feel, but I've done some AWD power drifts with our MDX and it's very balanced and has a lot of grip. The AWD system and VSA work well. I still prefer the S2000 on Blizzaks just because I'm more comfortable in my car being lower to the ground (it gets very windy in ND), but when it comes to getting through the deeper stuff (12"), the MDX performs well. I'd love to drive it on some snows.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by PilotKD,Nov 21 2006, 07:08 PM
Weight is your friend until you have to stop or manuever at 83 mph. I'd much rather be in a car with the right tire than an SUV or Pickup truck any day.

That said, I've lived in North Dakota for the past year and a half so I've had some experience with our MDX (and the S2000) in snow between 8-12". On the OE tires, the MDX is pretty impressive in the snow. It handles a lot like a car. The new MDX looks much bigger so I'm not sure it'll have the same feel, but I've done some AWD power drifts with our MDX and it's very balanced and has a lot of grip. The AWD system and VSA work well. I still prefer the S2000 on Blizzaks just because I'm more comfortable in my car being lower to the ground (it gets very windy in ND), but when it comes to getting through the deeper stuff (12"), the MDX performs well. I'd love to drive it on some snows.
If you're doing 83MPH in the snow, then I don't care what you're in--you're going to lose control. And if that's the case, I'd rather be in an SUV where I've got some solid metal around me.

And the reason why most of us choose an SUV over an AWD sedan is ground clearance.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:43 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We had a LR Disco I, it was lots of fun and I liked the feeling that you could get out of any jam if need be. Like having extra insurance in a bad situation.

Traded for a Pilot when the Land Rover self-destructed.
In general they are rated as some of the least reliable vehicles on earth.

Got bored of the car-like ride of the Pilot. Wanted a ladder-frame truck.

Was looking at LR3s, but didn't want to take a bath on the resale.

You should really add that into the costs. Just like the Passat started to have the annoying things start to go wrong, the Land Rovers are notorious for things like that. One of my co-workers is currently using a pair of pliers to start her Range Rover because the key is broken off in the ignition....

So we bought an FJ Cruiser. Has full non-performance truck Blizzaks on separate rims for winter. Was unstoppable in a freak 12 inch storm this Fall.

Bolt in third row seats
Here's a site that sells 3rd row seats for the FJ.

But for you, I'd check out a certified preowned Lexus GX470. Will last forever and you get the full third row, but still ladder-framed truck with locking diffs, great sound system and plush leather.

You can get a used one for $30k.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:28 PM

[QUOTE=CKit,Nov 22 2006, 09:43 AM] But for you, I'd check out a certified preowned Lexus GX470.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul S,Nov 21 2006, 10:58 PM
If you're doing 83MPH in the snow, then I don't care what you're in--you're going to lose control. And if that's the case, I'd rather be in an SUV where I've got some solid metal around me.
Oh how true, oh how true!!!

PilotKD did not understand what I was saying, I was doing 83 in the rain, and at that speed a car would have been prone to hydroplaining, the truck however was not. I can't imagine ever wanting to go 83 mph in the snow!!!
Old 11-22-2006, 10:51 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Good points about the LR may be a nightmare especially since I like to keep cars long after the warranty is over.

I would consider a FJ, but my wife probably wouldn't. May consider the 4runner or the LC but the LC cost a lot, my friend just bought a new 06 for $66K (list) he paid $60K. But he especially likes the safety of a 5400 lb truck. I guess a new MDX I'dwould be close in price to a 2-year old LC. That may be an idea.

It sounds like the MDX should be OK in the snow, and 99% of my snow is in the 3 to 9 inch range so only would really need more of truck once in a blue moon.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:53 PM

LR3 has really nice interior, typical of Land Rover. However, the previous Land Rover Discovery had one of the absolute WORST resale values ever. But nice interior!
Old 11-22-2006, 01:13 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rai,Nov 22 2006, 11:51 AM
Good points about the LR may be a nightmare especially since I like to keep cars long after the warranty is over.

I would consider a FJ, but my wife probably wouldn't. May consider the 4runner or the LC but the LC cost a lot, my friend just bought a new 06 for $66K (list) he paid $60K. But he especially likes the safety of a 5400 lb truck. I guess a new MDX I'dwould be close in price to a 2-year old LC. That may be an idea.

It sounds like the MDX should be OK in the snow, and 99% of my snow is in the 3 to 9 inch range so only would really need more of truck once in a blue moon.
I still think that the GX is a better deal than the LX.

New it's only mid $40k, used it's $30k.

It does 90% of what the LX/Land Cruiser does for much cheaper.

It drives much lighter than a Land Cruiser, too.

Seats 8. Same engine as the Land Cruiser.

Quick Reply: LR3 v MDX ?