Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Lotus Emira - What do you think?

Old 07-08-2021, 07:35 AM

Received 92 Likes on 64 Posts

I am fine with turbo power

It does appear to be a polarizing issue

The Ferrari folks are either put off by it due to the sound being less wonderful than NA, or they grudgingly accept it because of the performance gains
Old 07-08-2021, 07:35 AM

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,088 Posts

Cost of ownership would be one reason to run away from the Porsche. But ... this is a Lotus so not known for being SUPER reliable so hard to say there.

Holding value may be a bit skewed on the Lotus' ... The Elise was originally snapped up quickly by the typical "I want my trophy car" folks, who then realized they bought a REAL sports car that made no compromises on weight and performance and thus, the car was stiff, sparse inside and not very comfortable (and a pain in the arse for people to get in and out of) so those were barely driven and then resold, which made them super cheap on the used market for a while. Then enthusiasts who could then afford them started buying them like crazy and the price went back up. Have not paid much attention to other models though.

While I do like this car, I wish Lotus would keep building per their original motto of keeping weight down. This one is not terrible but is 3000 lbs. The think that almost had me buying an Elise or Exige was the super low weight. That is what I loved about Lotus. That does not make this car bad though. But the people that talk about Lotus "finaly putting in carpet" and not making it so sparse were really not the intended market on those other Lotus offerings. Anyone buying an Elise for a cool daily driver did not do much of a test drive lol. For some of those though it was awesome, just what you need to make a sports car a sports car and no bloat. But some reliability issues of course. I was very close to getting an Elise but ended up accidently falling into the S2k and actually like it better for overall use. But I have had some FUN in an Elise on autocross courses.
Old 07-08-2021, 07:48 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
I'd say simply because it isn't a Cayman. Lotus looks more exotic and better than the Cayman IMHO.

Edit: the downside for the Lotus for me is the lack of dealer network.
The dealership is 14 miles from my house. It would be a much harder decision to buy a Lotus if the dealership was hours away. At least the new owners of my local Lotus dealership have a fleet of loaner cars.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:07 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,868 Likes on 2,080 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
Cost of ownership would be one reason to run away from the Porsche. But ... this is a Lotus so not known for being SUPER reliable so hard to say there.

Holding value may be a bit skewed on the Lotus' ... The Elise was originally snapped up quickly by the typical "I want my trophy car" folks, who then realized they bought a REAL sports car that made no compromises on weight and performance and thus, the car was stiff, sparse inside and not very comfortable (and a pain in the arse for people to get in and out of) so those were barely driven and then resold, which made them super cheap on the used market for a while. Then enthusiasts who could then afford them started buying them like crazy and the price went back up. Have not paid much attention to other models though.

While I do like this car, I wish Lotus would keep building per their original motto of keeping weight down. This one is not terrible but is 3000 lbs. The think that almost had me buying an Elise or Exige was the super low weight. That is what I loved about Lotus. That does not make this car bad though. But the people that talk about Lotus "finaly putting in carpet" and not making it so sparse were really not the intended market on those other Lotus offerings. Anyone buying an Elise for a cool daily driver did not do much of a test drive lol. For some of those though it was awesome, just what you need to make a sports car a sports car and no bloat. But some reliability issues of course. I was very close to getting an Elise but ended up accidently falling into the S2k and actually like it better for overall use. But I have had some FUN in an Elise on autocross courses.
Sorry, but the Elan and Elite back in 1960 still had f'ing carpet in it.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 04:25 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

I love the way it looks. I just can't get excited about a car that is that slow. I at least want a low 11-second quarter mile in an exotic.
Old 07-09-2021, 04:37 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Why?

How is it slow?

You know how often you can click off an 11 second quarter mile on public roads?
Old 07-09-2021, 07:20 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
I love the way it looks. I just can't get excited about a car that is that slow. I at least want a low 11-second quarter mile in an exotic.
honestly, that’s pretty weak for an exotic car. The bar is really mid-10s at this point. High powered versions of sedans can hit that. exotic cars should be capable of that or something equally impressive. If this car weighed 2500lbs or something or did anything exotic other than break a lot, then maybe, but buying an exotic car with no dealer network. No way.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:22 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Why?

How is it slow?

You know how often you can click off an 11 second quarter mile on public roads?
who cares about that. The ability to
do fast 1/4 miles equates to high acceleration and/or traction. I don’t need to ever do a 1/4 mile timed to take advantage of the power envelope of my car every day. Everything is simpler with more power.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:24 AM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

This car has really hit a nerve with me, and is something that I'd like to pick up in a few years! Low weight (for a modern car), V6, manual, and hydraulic steering; I'd do British racing green, i mean dark verdant!

The following 3 users liked this post by Soul Coughing:
jeffbrig (01-18-2022), mosesbotbol (07-09-2021), QUIKAG (07-09-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 10:55 AM

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

As much as I love the idea of it, my Lotus ownership experience left me with "this car is a colossal pain in the ass." Just too quirky. And I have to agree with MrEG, it is underpowered.

Quick Reply: Lotus Emira - What do you think?