Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Lotus Elise test drive testimonial

Old 05-15-2007, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lotus Elise test drive testimonial

This might be little late testimonial but who cares.

So I went to the dealer next my house and took one out for drive.
They didn't let me do test drive when it just came out in US without deposit on a car but i guess slow selling rate broke that rule now.

I opened up a door and i was like, WTF ? There was a block of frame on the way to car and you have to go over it to get in. And I must say it is a big ass frame and PITA to get in, girls with skirt HAVE to roll their skirt up to belly and widen up the leg to get in. So +10 point right there.

And leg room was about half as what's in S as well as pedals are located tightly.
I didn't have my sneakers on so it was hella hard to step on a pedal correctly at first. You must have driving shoe in that thing.

Trunk space was a joke. It can literally only fit three shoe boxes or less.

Anyways time to roll.

At first, i must say handle was rigid as HELL and so heavy to turn, i have never felt that kind of firmness in any car. I guess that's what you get w/o power steering. It was pretty hard to take out from the lot through all those elises.

And i warm up a car a bit and started to roll on a highway, and it was quite disappointing in terms of acceleration. It wouldn't rev over 6k and seems like rev limiter was there because red light was blinking when i tried to go past 6k.
Sales guys didn't know what that blink meant and there were no indication as well.

So I thought it may mean engine was still cold and it wouldn't let it rev over 6k.

After a while, i tried again, and now it goes BAMMMMMM, just like s, it revs fast but was hard to keep eye on odometer to see what's going on due to the visibility. Maybe it's because i wasn't used to it.

It just felt like my s when it accelerates but in much brutal way. I must say exhaust sound is a SEX. It's kinda loud but very SEXY loud with gulping sound.

Brake was great as well and visibilty through tiny rear glass wasn't bad at all neither.

Anyways, they are selling em at invoice pricess or $3000~4000 off the MSRP now for 06 left overs. But still cheapest one I could find from 10 elises was priced at $52k.

It is definately a nice car and i think i can DD that car. Hope to get one in the future.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surprising to hear you could "DD that car."

I test drove one and thought just the opposite.

The car is hard to compete against in a track setting, right out of the box, dollar for dollar. However, I could not see myself buying one. For $50k I want more out of my car than the sparse interior and poor ergonmics. That blinking light on the dash is a joke. The quality of the gauges and interior components have me thinking radio shack or jc whitney (no offense to either company).

I remember thinking, I'd keep my S2000 before buying an Elise.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:36 PM

Haha.
Yes, i agree with you.
I guess its rarity and with pure sports car aesthetic make me want one.
And yes it is pretty harsh to DD that car but i guess i'm small enough to be pretty comfy in that tiny cockpit.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:40 PM

It's a LOT of fun to drive, but I don't think I could handle it as a DD. I've had some intense cars as DDs, but the Elise, I feel, would just be a bit too much.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:52 PM

I don't think I would want to DD it. Its not the safest car and even light damage can be very pricey. Its a sweet toy though.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:13 PM

52k sounds high are you sure those weren't the Exiges. MSRP on an Elise is 43k and I have seen them used for under 40k. Where do you live?
Old 05-15-2007, 10:31 PM

Oh that 52k is with all the options. They only had full optioned elises.
And i'm from NJ.
And yea, it wouldn't be a good DD but i can't stop thinking about that car now I shouldn't have driven it..
Old 05-15-2007, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by MaxGeek,May 15 2007, 11:52 PM
I don't think I would want to DD it. Its not the safest car and even light damage can be very pricey. Its a sweet toy though.
A recent fatal Elise accident hit close to home.

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38859
Old 05-16-2007, 12:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

let's be honest here- there are VERY few cars that would handle a 100+mph crash any better than that elise did
Old 05-16-2007, 04:10 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

$50s is high. I think they may not be selling too well either the dealer near me has 10+ or more and they still have 06s around. Mayby the price has a lot to do with that.

In the $50s I'd look at a Cayman or Boxster S.

Quick Reply: Lotus Elise test drive testimonial