Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Lotus Elise & Exige

Old 08-26-2013, 01:31 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hariku821
Originally Posted by FISH22' timestamp='1377480077' post='22744418
08+ GPWs overrated? Have you been around one?
It is really a subjective matter. Some people just do not like white cars. Personally I like NFR and was willing to pay a premium to get NFR. Every one is different in what they want. I will give you for some reason people seem to like white cars lately but some people never have and never will.
I wouldn't say GPW has become a favorite color just as of late. White has always been Honda's color... anything from F1 to the NSXR, it has been "the" color for them. Honda's first F1 car was GPW (although a darker/dirtier white). And when I mentioned seeing an 08+ GPW in person, it's the interior that pulls the whole thing together. The red leather that went into the 08/09 GPWs (also available in Chicane and BB), just has the perfect shade of red. Almost like a brick red, nothing bright or obnoxious.

During my first couple years of ownership, I never really cared for white cars. I was the original owner of an 06 Laguna for 6 years, and I thought I had the best color. But as the years rolled by, I realized how great the S looks in white. And it seems that over the years, some of the best builds on this site were all GPW. I guess it's just a very easy color to work with.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:24 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The whole white Honda thing is getting to a point of being ridiculous if you ask me. Lots of people like it, I think it looks great personally, but it's like they are held in some sort of divine light where they are automatically considered better than anything else just because it keeps getting repeated.

Color is clearly subjective, so there isn't really an argument here. I guess it's just weird to me that white is such a big deal for this particular make of cars, when in my experience most people in general would never think of white as a sporty color. That would be more for the bright reds, yellows, blues, and black.

Oh and Laguna *is* the best S2000 color
Old 08-26-2013, 05:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Syn
The whole white Honda thing is getting to a point of being ridiculous if you ask me. Lots of people like it, I think it looks great personally, but it's like they are held in some sort of divine light where they are automatically considered better than anything else just because it keeps getting repeated.

Color is clearly subjective, so there isn't really an argument here. I guess it's just weird to me that white is such a big deal for this particular make of cars, when in my experience most people in general would never think of white as a sporty color. That would be more for the bright reds, yellows, blues, and black.

Oh and Laguna *is* the best S2000 color
You must have missed the part where I mentioned that Honda used GPW on their F1 cars....

I guess I'm just a sucker for white Hondas with red interior. Makes me think NSXR, ITR, CTR.

And when I ever see other Lagunas, I do think about my old one. It's such a vivid color.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mezza
No disrespect towards the OP - just sick of Spudracer sprouting crap every damn thread
Would you like some cheese with that whine? Funny how everyone including the OP seems to be coming to the exact same conclusion as I first stated. Namely, there are better choices for the money unless your Lotus is going to be living on a trailer going to and from a track. As a real world car that you actually want to drive more than once a week, the Lotus twins have a lot of shortcomings. Seems that most people here agree that after thinking about it, they don't really want one. But somehow you single me out for "spouting crap". Hilarious! The fail runneth over at S2KI.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FISH22
I wouldn't say GPW has become a favorite color just as of late. White has always been Honda's color... anything from F1 to the NSXR, it has been "the" color for them. Honda's first F1 car was GPW (although a darker/dirtier white). And when I mentioned seeing an 08+ GPW in person, it's the interior that pulls the whole thing together. The red leather that went into the 08/09 GPWs (also available in Chicane and BB), just has the perfect shade of red. Almost like a brick red, nothing bright or obnoxious.

During my first couple years of ownership, I never really cared for white cars. I was the original owner of an 06 Laguna for 6 years, and I thought I had the best color. But as the years rolled by, I realized how great the S looks in white. And it seems that over the years, some of the best builds on this site were all GPW. I guess it's just a very easy color to work with.
But Apex Blue Pearl is Uehara's favorite color . I recall hearing that somewhere. White is a great color, but I wouldn't pay a premium for it.

Anyway, I like the Elise because I've visited a few autocrosses with the local Lotus club. They're neat cars, but a bit uncomfortable for me. I also think I would like something with a bit more torque than the Elise (and the S2000).. Both cars make a great noise, though.. Why not go for something with more cylinders?

Like a Corvette Z06?
Old 08-26-2013, 07:51 PM

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by adrs2k' timestamp='1377527504' post='22745119
Dont do it. Your just bored with your car...and thinking the grass will be greener if you have a different car. The fact is, you will be happier with the Lotus for a couple months, and then right back to where you are right now. My advice, keep your car, and find another hobby to keep you engaged and interested

I have driven, ridden in, and spent a good amount of time wrenching on a Lotus. It was a '05 that had an aftermarket supercharger and just about every bolt on mod possible. I am not a Lotus person for a few reasons, but after working on the Lotus and going out and playing on some back roads, I was VERY VERY glad to be getting into my S2000 to drive home.

Originally Posted by FurY
I mean, listen to how you just explained and defended your '08+ GPW to people... you obviously love it and realize how great of a car it is... why give that up? I'm not saying the S2K is the end all be all, but you do have a great ride that if memory serves me you haven't even had for a year yet. I do think we have a serious case of car ADD here Go take your S on some twisty backroads with your favorite soundtrack and really question yourself if you're ok with giving it up. If you decide to come back to the S again after the Lotus (which I think would be your 3rd or 4th S2K, no?) then I guarantee you will be very hard pressed to find as clean of an example as you have now... I wouldn't give that up!
I couldn't agree more with you guys. I keep reminding myself how depressed I was last year when I picked up an STi, and how badly I missed the S2000. I guess I have high hopes that an Elise or Exige could possibly be a car I could move onto and be content with. But yes, every few months, I get some serious car ADD. I actually drove the car quite a bit Saturday night, and took a nice drive along the ocean. Everything about it was perfect, and it had me seriously questioning what I've been thinking about lately.

FurY, if I did get another S2000 down the road, that would make #5.
5?! lol

Sounds like you've been down this road before haha
Old 08-27-2013, 06:42 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I've driving an Elise and I must say they are fun and nimble (duh, right?) the interior did feel cheap while the S2000 still provides a sense of luxury and class. Getting in and out of the car was the biggest pain to me. If I were to pick though, I'd get a Exige S and call it a day. Would I sell my S for one? HELL NO
Old 08-27-2013, 03:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

08+ GPWs overrated? Have you been around one?
Sorry, I meant overpriced. When u have people asking $28k to 31k for a 2008-09 GPW, your in CR territory IMO. I used to really want a GPW, but the premium wasn't worth it to me. U already know what the CR offers over the base, well worth the same price for a 08-09 GPW, even if it is Smurf Blue or Rio yella. Berlina Black is a no-no though. I rather pay the GPW premium.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I currently have an 06 Elise SC. As for quality of build...I'd give it 7 out of 10. As for raw driving experience, it gets a 10. I've owned an AP2 and will say there are no way the same. The S2K is a breeze as a DD. Lotus...not so much. However there are some that do.

Pending what MY you get, the earlier versions have A LOT of quirks. And those quirks add up if you are not mechanically inclined. Reading the forums and turning my own wrenches, I have resolved all the quirks on my own and have learned a hell a lot about my car in doing so.

If you want a car that is turn key and without issues.... DO NOT GET A LOTUS.

If you want a car that ends up needing special attention, peeks and tweeks every now and then, you will love one.

You only live once...

drive safe,

Tim