Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Lotus Elise & Exige

Old 08-18-2013, 04:32 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
There's a Lotus dealer just a couple of miles from my office. I REALLY wanted to like the Elise/Exige. But after looking at them and driving them I realized that they aren't for me. The interior quality and overall fit-n-finish is atrocious when compared to other cars in that price range. And I use my "fun" cars to go back and forth to work when the weather is good. The comfort, features, and noise levels of the Lotus twins can't compete either. I came away with the opinion that they are either dedicated track cars or something you'd drive for maybe 30 minutes on a Saturday/Sunday. They do look fantastic standing 30+ feet away though.
What kind of interior are you expecting in a gokart that weighs 2100 lbs
Old 08-18-2013, 04:50 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Mezza
lol at buying a Lotus for interior quality. Imo, interior is beautiful - 100% function.
It isn't meant to be a good DD, far from the point of the car.
Um... yeah, if only all the crap actually functioned. For instance, there's that switch for the fan. If your resistor hasn't failed on you -- and it's just a matter of time (TADTS!) -- then you might actually have all three settings for the fan. But most have only 1 or 2 settings, or just nothing at all. Heater works like a champ, but air conditioning? You want AC that works? LOL. For those that do work, I'm told it's like peeing on a bonfire. I only know one owner whose air works well.

Speaking of TADTS... Yeah, that's an accepted acronym in the Lotus world. They All Do That Sir. It's used in response to the frequent questions about stuff making noise, or popping off, or <insert issue which would be unacceptable in any other car here>.

Seat cushions? You must be joking. The "cushions" in the seats are utterly useless. And what's up with the little air bulb thingee that pumps up the supposed lumbar support? I am convinced that just inflates two little bags inside the lower seat back whose only purpose is to attempt to protect your kidneys from getting knocked all to hell by the lack of cushion in the seats.

And then there are those material covered things that go over the side clamps for the roof. They are held on with velcro. If the sticky backing on the velcro craps out, they just fall off at various inopportune moments. And when they fall off, you find out that their job in life was to muffle the God-awful squeaks that the roof clamps make. ARGH!

This weekend I invested in a 15 foot roll of two inch wide industrial strength Velcro. I am pretty sure I'll use most of it.

And the squeaks... I know that some of the hook side of the Velcro I bought will go to waste because some of the loop side (which is soft) will be used to cushion where stuff rubs together and squeaks. Like the back side of the inboard seatbelt latch. It rubs against the leather seat and squeaks like CRAZY. Some loop there will ease the rub.

Okay, I know I'm being overly dramatic, but it's based mostly in truth. I embellish for the laugh, but it's more than half true. And this is why I say you must be a bit of a masochist to love one of these things. I do actually, for some insane reason, love this car. But no, for many current S2000 owners, it would not be a suitable replacement for an S2000.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks very much for all the feedback guys!

RMurphy, my wife doesn't care too much for the S2000, but she knows how much it means to me. And the fact that we've had an S2000 in our life together for the last 8 years, it is something special to us. Considering we have a 2yo and a 3mo, we never take it out together. I think the last time she drove an S2000, was before our son was born over 2 years ago.

An Elise/Exige would without a doubt be a weekend/nice weather car. I drive my S2000 only 2-3 times a month. We have a Pilot and Fit that take care of the daily/family duties. I know if I got rid of the S2000, it would be a tough decision. Not just because I love the S, but because it's in my favorite color (GPW), and it's an '08 with only 9k miles. I would most likely not come across a car like it ever again. I would absolutely LOVE to get into an Aspen White Exige, but those seem extremely hard to come by, and will probably cost over $50k.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by SpudRacer' timestamp='1376871594' post='22731463
There's a Lotus dealer just a couple of miles from my office. I REALLY wanted to like the Elise/Exige. But after looking at them and driving them I realized that they aren't for me. The interior quality and overall fit-n-finish is atrocious when compared to other cars in that price range. And I use my "fun" cars to go back and forth to work when the weather is good. The comfort, features, and noise levels of the Lotus twins can't compete either. I came away with the opinion that they are either dedicated track cars or something you'd drive for maybe 30 minutes on a Saturday/Sunday. They do look fantastic standing 30+ feet away though.
While the weight may be low, the price isn't. I was expecting an interior that doesn't look like a kit car assembled by a high school shop class.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:34 PM

lol at buying a Lotus for interior quality. Imo, interior is beautiful - 100% function.
It isn't meant to be a good DD, far from the point of the car.
Spudracer did you expect it to drive like a Lexus LOL?
Your reading comprehension could use some work. I had no issue with the handling or driving experience. I did have an issue at that price point with an interior that looked like it came in a box with step by step assembly instructions. Lexus indeed. The AP2 S2000 puts an Exige to shame when it comes to interior materials, ergonomics, and execution. How about that as a standard? As I stated, I wasn't looking for a track car. I want to drive my cars back and forth to work on a regular basis in good weather. I buy em to drive em. For me, the Loti just don't make any sense. A Boxster would give me a lot more enjoyment. My SLK55 gives me more enjoyment more frequently in a broader range of situations than the Lotus would. As I said before, if you only want a track car to drive once a month or something to drive for 30 minutes on a Saturday/Sunday, maybe the Lotus is tolerable. For anything else, there are better choices for me personally.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:58 PM

Everything about the car points to it being suited to a track, what did you expect? Interior quality has no use there, which is why they're built like a deck of cards. The chassis is also glued then baked in an oven and riveted together not welded to save weight (as welding requires more materials to make up for the loss in structural strength). The interior is merely there to provide somewhere to sit while you operate the car. Just how a pure sports car should be.

Obviously that kind of car isn't for you, no problems there just wondering what you expected from a 2100lb weekend toy.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
Originally Posted by s.hasan546' timestamp='1376872326' post='22731473
[quote name='SpudRacer' timestamp='1376871594' post='22731463']
While the weight may be low, the price isn't. I was expecting an interior that doesn't look like a kit car assembled by a high school shop class.
[/quote]

The price is low for the performance you get.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:15 AM

Everything about the car points to it being suited to a track, what did you expect? Interior quality has no use there, which is why they're built like a deck of cards. The chassis is also glued then baked in an oven and riveted together not welded to save weight (as welding requires more materials to make up for the loss in structural strength). The interior is merely there to provide somewhere to sit while you operate the car. Just how a pure sports car should be.

Obviously that kind of car isn't for you, no problems there just wondering what you expected from a 2100lb weekend toy.
Well said. People either get it or they don't. For a person who drives a slk55, i wouldn't expect them to understand. Normally s2k owners are the ones who do understand the reason behind getting a lotus. Plently of ex-s2k owners on lotustalk.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:38 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

I was hot for buying an Evora next, maybe now not so much.

I drove in Elise (2002 I think) in Switzerland and thought something fell off the car over every bump. Kept looking in the rearview mirror. Getting in and out is a guarantee for chiropractic issues. The sensation is surly raw and exciting, but I'd be willing compromise for more livability.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by SpudRacer' timestamp='1376878657' post='22731581
[quote name='s.hasan546' timestamp='1376872326' post='22731473']
[quote name='SpudRacer' timestamp='1376871594' post='22731463']
[/quote]

The price is low for the performance you get.
[/quote]

If comparing an Elise to an S2000 - then the cost is high. They are arguably very similarly competitive around local tracks here comparing good drivers in each car. Supercharged Exige is a different story though. I wouldn't want an N/A Exige early model.

Quick Reply: Lotus Elise & Exige