Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Looking for a new car in addition to my S. want a fun sedan in manual with a nice interior.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billios996
if you're opening the door to muscle cars, look at the pontiac G8 also to get your 4 door fix with the LS motor. Not sure if chrysler muscle (300c, Daytona, Magnum wagon) ever came with a stick.
Only the GXP is offered in manual and they are extremely rare. They are also not under 25k.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in a similar situation. Looking for a practical DD that is quiet, nice interior, has character, fun-to-drive, reasonable-to-good mileage, FWD/AWD, and a manual transmission. One difference is that I am also looking for some cargo capacity.

I have pretty well settled on a new Focus ST. I am just waiting for one to turn up locally in an acceptable color at the right trim level. Have you driven one?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I've looked at the g8 gt but never find any with a manual trans anywhere within 500 miles. I definitely like the looks of gto better but I've read getting into the back seats is a real pain!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by PeterL
I'm in a similar situation. Looking for a practical DD that is quiet, nice interior, has character, fun-to-drive, reasonable-to-good mileage, FWD/AWD, and a manual transmission. One difference is that I am also looking for some cargo capacity.

I have pretty well settled on a new Focus ST. I am just waiting for one to turn up locally in an acceptable color at the right trim level. Have you driven one?
havent driven or even seen one in person, but i have to admit on pictures Ford cars look pretty good.....its about time after years and years of ugly shitty cars. I wonder myself how they drive and if they are quality made.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:30 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

I had one as a rental and is fun, but not as engaging as the FIAT 500. Ford had too many buttons and crap. The steering wheel alone had 18 buttons! I am not sure which Focus model it was....
Old 01-09-2013, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by PeterL' timestamp='1357751367' post='22255823
I had one as a rental and is fun, but not as engaging as the FIAT 500. Ford had too many buttons and crap. The steering wheel alone had 18 buttons! I am not sure which Focus model it was....
FWIW, that wouldn't have been an ST. That model is only available as a 6 speed manual. Rental companies here in the U.S. don't rent manuals.

I've driven a couple of STs. I wasn't able to push it with a salesman in the car (plus my wife!), but the cars seemed to have a comfortable ride, lots of torque, and are really quiet at highway speeds. The latter is important to me because I have to drive long distances on back roads pretty regularly. They are also reasonably quick on a road track. There is a video on youtube with Randy Pobst where he drives an ST and an FR-S for laptime. The ST was actually quicker.

A possible downside to the ST is MyFordTouch. I have been reading that the current iteration is better, though.

When I started reading this thread, I was sure that the Focus ST would come up as an option. The base model is <25K. When I didn't see it, I thought it would be worth mentioning.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Presto123
Originally Posted by billios996' timestamp='1357747009' post='22255615
if you're opening the door to muscle cars, look at the pontiac G8 also to get your 4 door fix with the LS motor. Not sure if chrysler muscle (300c, Daytona, Magnum wagon) ever came with a stick.
Only the GXP is offered in manual and they are extremely rare. They are also not under 25k.
True, only offered in a manual. Only made ~800 in manual too. But they can be had for 27kish. That is what i paid for mine 2 years ago.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:59 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol' timestamp='1357763411' post='22256414
[quote name='PeterL' timestamp='1357751367' post='22255823']I have pretty well settled on a new Focus ST. I am just waiting for one to turn up locally in an acceptable color at the right trim level. Have you driven one?
FWIW, that wouldn't have been an ST. That model is only available as a 6 speed manual. Rental companies here in the U.S. don't rent manuals.

I've driven a couple of STs. I wasn't able to push it with a salesman in the car (plus my wife!), but the cars seemed to have a comfortable ride, lots of torque, and are really quiet at highway speeds. The latter is important to me because I have to drive long distances on back roads pretty regularly. They are also reasonably quick on a road track. There is a video on youtube with Randy Pobst where he drives an ST and an FR-S for laptime. The ST was actually quicker.

A possible downside to the ST is MyFordTouch. I have been reading that the current iteration is better, though.

When I started reading this thread, I was sure that the Focus ST would come up as an option. The base model is <25K. When I didn't see it, I thought it would be worth mentioning.
[/quote]

The ST does have 25% more power and 79% more torque. On that track (two decently long straights plus some uphill sections), it makes a HUGE difference. Tires make a big difference, too, with the ST having Goodyear Eagle F1s and the BRZ on Michelin Primacy HP (lol).

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=651721

Reminds me of the Cobalt SS vs an S2000. The Cobalt SS is quicker on tracks with more straight sections where power is more important. Doesn't make it a better sports car or even a better handling car, just one that does what it needs to do to take the win in certain conditions.

Put the Focus ST on an auto-x track where cornering and transitions are the dominating factor and it'll probably be quite a bit slower than an FR-S or BRZ.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Moddiction
MS3 has the young kid ricy kind of look a little bit really inexpensive with lots of power and great performance!
Had a MS3 fore a few months. Got sick of the fail wheel drive. Also, the interior scuffs up very easily and will look dirty after a few days. Has no temp gauge, and limits boost in the first 2 gears.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

off to go do some test driving.

2009 civic si with nav and leather interior, 2008 MS3 grand touring, 2008 GTI with leather and nav, and a 2008 subaru legacy gt 5 speed.

Possibly a 2006 TL 6 speed but pretty far away so might not make it to that one today.

Quick Reply: Looking for a new car in addition to my S. want a fun sedan in manual with a nice interior.