Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Looking into my first bike...

Old 12-02-2009, 04:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Looking into my first bike...

I've been wanting a sport bike for over 5 years now and I'm finally at that point where I've had enough of the "dreaming". The bike I'm looking at is a newer Triumph Daytona 675. I'm a bigger guy(6'1" 235 lbs.), so even though it might be a smaller bike, I think it should be a great starting point.

Curious how many of you on here own one and your thoughts on it. A couple of the guys I work with keep telling me to stick with the big 4, but there's something about a Triumph that I absolutely love. Especially the sound and the fact that it's a rare bike(atleast around my parts).

Thanks for any info guys!!
Old 12-02-2009, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha i've been man-crushing on the 675 for the last few months too. i'm trying to pick up an 07 for 5-6 grand. i signed up on triumph675.net not too long ago. I'd suggest checking that forum out to see what's up with them.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:16 PM

I can't give you too much since I never ridden one but I love the sound and look for the daytona. If you haven't sat on one yet id suggest doing so it has higher seat and imo a awkward seat but an aftermarket seat fixes that easily enough.

Id love to have a scorched yellow daytona 675, hawt!
Old 12-03-2009, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by dres2k,Dec 2 2009, 09:10 PM
haha i've been man-crushing on the 675 for the last few months too. i'm trying to pick up an 07 for 5-6 grand. i signed up on triumph675.net not too long ago. I'd suggest checking that forum out to see what's up with them.
Just registered there. Has tons of great information and pictures.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:20 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Personally, I think a dedicated hardcore sportbike is usually a mistake for a street bike, particularly a FIRST bike. The ergos are optimized for the track, and they aren't much fun at 3/10ths on the street. For a track bike, yeah. For a street bike, I'd sooner go with the Street Triple version. It'll be a lot more enjoyable to ride in the real world.

Actually, for a first bike why not get something used for way less money? Motorcycling isn't for everyone, why spend more than you need to to find out if it's for you?

SV650...
Old 12-03-2009, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by ZDan,Dec 3 2009, 08:20 PM
Personally, I think a dedicated hardcore sportbike is usually a mistake for a street bike, particularly a FIRST bike. The ergos are optimized for the track, and they aren't much fun at 3/10ths on the street. For a track bike, yeah. For a street bike, I'd sooner go with the Street Triple version. It'll be a lot more enjoyable to ride in the real world.

Actually, for a first bike why not get something used for way less money? Motorcycling isn't for everyone, why spend more than you need to to find out if it's for you?

SV650...
Definitely some good pointers, thanks. I have spent some time on some different bikes... An older Shadow, R6 and R1. Just from the little time I had in the seats, I know for a fact that I will love being a full time rider. I definitely don't want to get a brand new bike, I was hoping to spend somewhere around 6k for a mildly used Daytona. Main reason why I want a sport bike, is that a basic cruiser does nothing for me. Not saying that I want to be able to get to 100 mph in a few seconds, do wheelies at the flick of a wrist or lay a bike nearly horizontal in turns... I just love the look and sound of a sport bike, especially the Triumph.

I still have a while before any of this happens. Deploying in a month, so I'll have a long time to sleep on this.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:15 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

There are options that aren't cruisers or dedicated sport bikes!
Like the Street Triple, SV650, Kawasaki Ninja 250/500/650, etc. Basically, sport bikes with higher bars and slightly lower and less rear-set pegs.

I hear you on the Daytona, it's a sweet bike, but personally I'd go for the Street Triple for a street bike. Basically it's the same bike, but without the track-dedicated ergos.

Best of luck on your deployment, and get what you want when you get back!
Old 12-03-2009, 07:39 PM

ive ridden the 675 extensively and compared it to many bikes namely the 999, 1098, 848, aprilia rsv ..you name it as i work at a motorcycle dealership and one of the perks is to ride the competition ... and what i can say is that the 675 has alot of bang for the buck because of its usable powerband and 75cc more engine on 3 bigger pistons as opposed to 4 smaller ones...even compared to the kawi 636...the 675 has better usable midrange..and the new 2009 in black is soooooo beautiful! I.M me if you wish ill give you the web add for our shop.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd 2nd starting out on a different bike, I started on a sv650 and am grateful for that. For one there is a good chance you will drop it, or a friend will knock it over when you show it to them, a naked bike would be much less to fix in this case. Also as mentioned the easier riding position will teach you better riding habits imo. Having gone to a CBR600rr now, at first I couldn't see why people suggested not starting on one since it's easy to control. Had an off day where I just wasn't shifting quite right etc and saw how quickly it could turn bad (the sv could be knocked around while riding and it wouldn't fight back in the least).

Anyway you go, just remember to get all the gear, and wear it all the time.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:55 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

I'm in the same camp with not riding a sport bike. I don't track or race, so I don't need a bike built for such, and having ridden sport bikes, nakeds, and cruisers, prefer the latter two for riding. Nakeds would give you the feel and sound of a sport bike, if not the lower riding position and looks with full fairings. The Triple is a great bike if you want to go with Triumph - you'll have some time to think it over!

Quick Reply: Looking into my first bike...