Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Looking at Cheap Vans

Old 11-09-2007, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Looking at Cheap Vans

Hello, I have been looking for a dirt cheap mini-van to haul merchandise for my business from wholesalers in NY to STL. The trip is about 2000miles total so I am looking for something reliable and good MPG. I will be stuffing this thing with boxes (over 1200lbs). I am looking to spend anywhere from $2k-5k.

I have been looking at Chevy Ventures, Pontiac Montanas, and Dodge Caravans from MY 1995-1999. Out of these three choices which do you think is the best for my needs? Anyone have experiences with any of these? Any other choices I missing??

Thanx for the input in advance!
Alex
Old 11-09-2007, 07:31 PM

My late grandfather had a used car lot which sold quite a few vans like the ones you are talking about. Alot were used for local deliveries and businesses, they had needs similar to yours. The only one I see that you are missing is the Ford Windstar/Mercury Villager. But the Windstars aren't as good as the GM (Chevy-Pontiac) and Chrysler (Dodge Caravavan, Grand Caravan, Chrysler Town and Country) vans. My suggestion would be for the V6 version of the Chrysler vans, the 4 cylinder will have trouble pulling the weight you are talking about. The GM V6s have, in our case, had more motor problems than the Chryslers. 1 in 4 actually needed a new motor. The imports from Honda and Toyota are going to be too expensive, but it may pay to look at them too. If size is more of a concern look at the Ford Econoline vans. They are larger than the passenger vans you are currently looking at but the gas mileage is more truck like. Hope this helps and good luck in the search.

Off topic, I saw in your signature you had a CTS-V. How did you like it? I may be in the market for one soon.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:47 AM

I would think a small pickup truck with a topper is a better choice. It will handle 1200lbs better than a van and you should be able to find one cheaper.