Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Loki's new wheels...

Old 03-16-2005, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I've enjoyed owning the '03 MCS so much that I decided the upgrade was worth it. Unfortunately I didn't get the LSD since it's not a factory equipped option with the (don't kick my ass too much) steptronic option w/paddle shifters.

This is primarily the S.O.'s car and since we live in S.F., it can get a little steep. Tell you the truth it's not all that bad. The gearing is much better than the '03 so it still has more pep off the line and the paddle shifters work like a charm. The only thing not so good is the lag on the upshifts (you have to anticipate your shift point) and the downshifts can be abrupt as it doesn't rev match nearly as smooth (if at all) like a sequential. I'm hoping both will be improved with software upgrades from either Dinan or JCW.

I've driven the '05 MCS manual however that it's a blast. The LSD is a MUST for this car and at $500 it's a bargain. I'll probably retrofit a quaife at some point when I slap a turbo on it. If you haven't driven one yet, go out for a test drive!

Here's a few other pics from pickup day including a nice surprise at the vinyl protection installer.

I should also note that if you get the ZSP option (17" webspoke Sport Package) which is $500 more, you'll get Dunlop 9000 runflats on instead of the Pirelli's. Still heavy but they grip much much better than the Pirelli's that come on the S-lites. Plus the webspokes will be easier to hawk off for some nice aftermarket rims.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:04 AM

Whose Porsche CGT?
Old 03-16-2005, 11:54 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

How would you like to be the guy installing the vynl protection film on that porsche........ you f' it up, you bought it.

I drove my brother in law's mini S.... i guess I like big horsepower... i didn't enjoy it.... it did have some quick steering, but was gutless.... especially since I had just driven a 2003 cobra....
Old 03-16-2005, 01:28 PM

How much did you pick it up for and where? My wife wants and it seems only Mt.View BMW has it.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by hungdaddy,Mar 16 2005, 02:28 PM
How much did you pick it up for and where? My wife wants and it seems only Mt.View BMW has it.
MSRP, placed an order with Southbay Mini (see license plate placard) when they first opened last November and got a January build.

I believe they're allocating June builds at the moment now that they've been open awhile. I'd be careful of getting one off the lot at Mt. View... at least their demo units which I've experienced first hand were redlined when they weren't warmed up and well under the break-in point.

Not sure who the CGT owner was but he let me hold one of the featherlight $12,000 t-tops.

(and yes the Mini is not a car for those craving BIG power. )
Old 03-16-2005, 06:08 PM

Congrat's Loki.

I've enjoyed the couple of stints I had behind the wheel of a friends 2003 Cooper S with JCW exhaust. Fun car. Quick but not overly powerful but the handling is awesome. Very, very fun little car that I would lease as a commuter car all day long and twice on Sunday.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:51 PM

beautiful combo!
Old 03-16-2005, 08:00 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Still using the S30 to take your pics?

Beautiful Mini too
Old 03-17-2005, 12:36 AM

Beautiful car!
I'd like to trade mine for an 05' as well, but I'll probably spend that money on a set of wheels for my 04'.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by MrForgetable,Mar 16 2005, 09:00 PM
Still using the S30 to take your pics?

Beautiful Mini too
Yeah, talk about seriously old equipment that has been dropped more times than I can count, lost more than 80% of it's screws and has spent many miles being vibrated to death mounted to my RC-51.... time to finally get a DSLR this year.

Mark, I hope you've test driven an '05 before the wheel purchase. Yer gonna fall in love with the new manual gearing and LSD, not to mention all the misc upgrades and improvements. Talk to Freddie at Southbay Mini (socal) and see if they have any LSD equipped MCSs in stock.

I'll have to take more photos of the interior today, nice and plush with the new trim, headliner and leather combo.

Quick Reply: Loki's new wheels...