Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Lincoln - Is a Comeback Even Possible

Old 07-23-2013, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I leased an 07 MKZ using my brother-in-law's Ford retiree discount. It was completely reliable, needing only routine maintenance for 3 years. However, it was a bit too Fusion-esque with the shifter, switchgear, etc. It was also a bit small inside and my late wife often konked the back of her head when transferring into the car. I considered a MKS as a replacement, but the first gen had mediocre reliability, lacked interior room, and had a tiny trunk opening for loading / unloading my wife's wheelchair.

If I were in the market for a domestic car, I'd consider the new MKZ or MKS. However, I'd prefer a Lexus ES or Toyota Avalon.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:10 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

I definitely believe they "could" make a comeback. There's enough room in the US market for another upscale domestic luxury brand. But if the idiots in charge at Ford don't realize that nobody wants to buy gussied up FWD Fords for $40k-60k+ then in my opinion they will definitely fail.

One of my buddies was very interested in getting the new MKZ. He had never had a car (always a truck/SUV) and was attracted to it's luxury offerings and great gas mileage from the hybrid. He was ready to pull the trigger, but as he was looking to lease a $45k car I strongly suggested to him that he test drive a few other cars, if not just to see what else is "out there". So he drove an Audi A4 and BMW 328i. Later that same day he thanked me profusely for telling him to check out some other cars.

He now drives a BMW 328i
Old 07-23-2013, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
So he drove an Audi A4 and BMW 328i. Later that same day he thanked me profusely for telling him to check out some other cars.

He now drives a BMW 328i
And something like that story is probably re-enacted hundreds of times per week across America. Lincoln has its work cut out for it (IMHO).

On another note, I may actually try and take the MKZ test drive on Thursday just to see how good or bad the product actually is at this point. I suppose my direct reference point will be my wife's 08 Infiniti G35x which we've had for 5 1/2 years now. That car has been flawless.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1374592223' post='22682156
So he drove an Audi A4 and BMW 328i. Later that same day he thanked me profusely for telling him to check out some other cars.

He now drives a BMW 328i
On another note, I may actually try and take the MKZ test drive on Thursday just to see how good or bad the product actually is at this point. I suppose my direct reference point will be my wife's 08 Infiniti G35x which we've had for 5 1/2 years now. That car has been flawless.
if you do test drive it, please report back what your thoughts are. would be interested in hearing about it. probably won't change my mind on Lincoln, but still be interesting...
Old 07-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

If you are in the boat that thinks Lincoln can make a comeback, ask yourself what Lincoln made in the last 20 years you would have actually spent your money on over what else was out there. When you can not come up with a single model, you will understand why they aint coming back any time soon if ever.

I can't come up with any model that I would have wanted regardless of price.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm on travel this week for my company and my loaner car is a 2013 Lincoln MKZ. I guess I could post a quick mini-review.

Styling - I think it' quite a sharp looking car. Surprising that Lincoln has evolved to this and made it stomachable (sp?) to look at! I dig the rear end looks too.

Interior - Verrrrry nice. The leather smells good and it's soft to the touch. Rear seat room isn't that good, anyone over 6' would be uncomfortable. It's very well insulated. It's been in the 90s and the car cools down with ac in no time. Opening the door after it being outside and turned off for a bit and it'll still be cold inside. I wish there was a bit more lateral support for your legs, kinda how in BMWs you can pull a handle on the seat and extend it.

The entertainment and climate controls may be a big confusing for those...ahem...older non-technologically oriented crowds. I have a M$ win8 phone and this car has Sync, so I simply plugged in my phone to the USB and was good to go.

Stereo is pretty solid. Has good highsand very clean mids. Some decent low bass too. Another surprise.

The fan controls are a touch slider, which is kinda annoying. Same with volume, really wish they just had knobs for fan and volume.

Performance - Engine sounds great! I'm quite surprised it sounds the way it does. It has a slightly sporty and aggressive growl to it. You will want to step on the pedal harder more frequently to hear it. Pulls pretty decently too, nothing mind blowing but it definitely gets the job done.

Has "paddle" shifters on the wheel. Fun to use, but they are mounted to the wheel. This is really annoying because if you need to shift during a turn you may wind up hitting the wrong paddle. I've had previous maseratis with paddles and they stay in place so you always know where to reach to shift, makes a huge difference.

I cannot find a traction control defeat anywhere. This is kinda a bummer. Again, the controls and buttons take a while to get used to, but this is usually the first button I look for in a car and can't find it anywhere

Does have some body sway, but that's to be expected - it's a Lincoln. Either way it can do pretty decently if you're aggressively taking an exit ramp

So yeah, I actually really like it. I had a Hyundai Genesis recently as a rental, I would definitely hands-down get a MKZ instead.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Member (Premium)

Um, sure. Would you pay $50,000 for it? Would you want it as your everyday car? Would you pick it at that price over a Bimmer or ATS or Lexus?

As a decent rental, I am sure it beats the Chevy HHR or Dodge Caliber they always seem to stick me with when I reserve a decent car and am told, "We are all out", but I bet you would not spend your money on one.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Um, sure. Would you pay $50,000 for it? Would you want it as your everyday car? Would you pick it at that price over a Bimmer or ATS or Lexus?

As a decent rental, I am sure it beats the Chevy HHR or Dodge Caliber they always seem to stick me with when I reserve a decent car and am told, "We are all out", but I bet you would not spend your money on one.
Yes I would spend my money on it, Christ...
Old 07-23-2013, 01:23 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by d1rtyc4r
Originally Posted by vader1' timestamp='1374611062' post='22682948

Yes I would spend my money on it, Christ...
Ha ha ha. Awesome. Post pics when you do!

-Christ
Old 07-23-2013, 02:25 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Hahaha

Quick Reply: Lincoln - Is a Comeback Even Possible