Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

LFA Launch Control

Old 01-28-2011, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LFA Launch Control

autoblog article

1. Ensure that you are seated well back in the driver's seat with the seat belt fastened. Make sure that the passenger is also seated well back with their seat belt fastened.
2. Start the engine. Firmly depress the brake pedal with your left foot and release the parking brake. Continue to depress the brake pedal.
3. Select SPORT driving mode.
4. Select shift speed level 7.
5. Pull the "+" paddle shift switch to select 1st gear.
6. Pull the "-" paddle shift switch and hold it for 5 seconds. "LAUNCH" will be displayed on the meter.
7. Release the "-" paddle shift switch.
8. Depress the accelerator pedal firmly. Continue to depress the accelerator pedal. The engine speed will be automatically maintained at 4000 rpm. The vehicle is then ready for launch.
9. Release the brake pedal. The vehicle will launch forward.
* Launch control can not be set if the total mileage shown on the odometer is less than 310 miles (500 km).
* Launch control can not be set until the engine and transmission are fully warmed up. Before using launch control, warm up the vehicle by driving it.
* Launch control can not be set if there is a malfunction in the engine, transmission, drive control system or other relevant systems.
* As launch control places a significant load on the vehicle's mechanisms,it cannot be used two or more times in succession. After using launch control, cruise at a normal speed for approximately 10 minutes to allow vehicle mechanisms to cool down.
* To protect the systems,the number of times that launch control can be used is limited. To check how many times launch control has been used on your vehicle, contact your Lexus dealer.

EDIT: removed the tongue icon. I meant for this post to be to be just fact.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:28 AM

It actually sounds pretty simple, they just really write it out for an idiot. I mean they even mention how to take the parking brake off.

The rest of the stuff is actually smart and good advice no matter what car you are driving. You should always make sure oil is up to temp before pushing the car hard, and you shouldn't do launch after launch, not to mention the break-in period for an engine. I can't count how many WRX/STI people blew their engine just due to not breaking in an engine properly, doing clutch dumps, and not getting oil up to temp before pushing the turbo.

Unless you were LOL that they had to spell this out for idiots, I think the system and it's restrictions are very reasonable.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:44 AM

Doesn't sound any more complicated than many of the other launch control systems available today.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:07 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,868 Likes on 2,080 Posts

I miss the days of just being able to mash the throttle.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:15 AM

I love all this launch control stuff. The manufactures are clearly not only fighting a HP game but a 0-60 game. I mean even if you track your car you will almost never do a dead start. Same with many street races. This is something purely for the drag strip. At the same time we all go wide eyed for that stupid fast 0-60 time and any more can't be achieved with just HP. You now need to make sure the wheels don't slip!

Fun stuff.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The last 2 limitations kinda suck, but as far as the actual procedure... it doesn't sound that complicated... it just has a lot of words around it. Once you've done it, it'll be easy to do and easy to remember.

Of course, that first time you do it... that's a -1 on the "How many times you get to use launch control in this car" counter.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:29 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,868 Likes on 2,080 Posts

Originally Posted by mxt_77,Jan 28 2011, 10:15 AM
Of course, that first time you do it... that's a -1 on the "How many times you get to use launch control in this car" counter.
Exactly, that's more where my concern comes from. The technology is brilliant, and protecting the internals is equally important, but why then tell people how to do it?

I'd rather it not be known, or no "launch control" period, if it isn't safe for the car.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:43 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by sw05s2k,Jan 28 2011, 07:29 AM
Exactly, that's more where my concern comes from. The technology is brilliant, and protecting the internals is equally important, but why then tell people how to do it?

I'd rather it not be known, or no "launch control" period, if it isn't safe for the car.
Yeah, only allowing a certain number of launch control launches in total before the car cannot use launch control ever again is kind of lame. Otherwise, the other requirements are logical and make sense to me.

GM doesn't have a set # of times launch control can be used on the '10 Vettes. They even say it's easier on the clutch by using launch control and dumping the clutch at the pre-set 4k rpm than what most drivers do riding out the clutch and slipping it during an attempted hard launch.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:14 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I doubt the car actually stops letting you do it after a certian amount of times, guessing it probably just voids your warranty. Lotus did the same thing by reading your ECU when in for warranty/service to see how many 3,000+ rpm launches with wheelspin are detected.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:29 AM

I thought the launch control just limited the number of times you could use it in a period of time, not for the life of the car. If it's the life of the car then that's almost as lame as the first year GT-R, use it and you void it setup.

Quick Reply: LFA Launch Control