Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Lexus LS600

Old 04-09-2007, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I LOVE the new LS600h, but there are several sedans that are a bit more fun for less than $100k; i.e. E63, M5, RS6, RS4....
Old 04-09-2007, 11:11 AM

Dunno I would pay 100K + for that boring looking thing. S600 FTW!!!!!
Old 04-09-2007, 11:19 AM

Well I think the look is good enough for the class. But I honestly thought this car would be cheaper than 6 figures. I mean, that's a $44-34,000 increase over the regular LS460. That's the kind of increase that would make a German brand proud.

I think if this car started at $90-95k it would make more sense. But then this car and any of its direct competitors are major luxury purchases even with V8s (the 12-cylinder variants are on the "hoo-boy" price scale), so maybe it'll be fine where it is. If it's true that they've sold out the first year's production already, then I guess it's case closed, and Lexus will have no trouble selling over that magical price mark.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:25 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PLYRS 3,Apr 9 2007, 08:09 AM
as much as you "laugh" at your BIL, i bet his large sedan affords him a better driving experience than your crappy minivan....so the laughs on you.
Sorry, I didn't have much time when I put my first post together.

I mean, for me, the whole idea of $100K+ for a sedan is not working. Usually when I drive it's me and my wife so I don't need six yards of rear seat room, so a car like the A6/S6 or E-class or S4 (etc.) would do just fine.

When I need a ton of room, I prefer to have a ton of room such as a Minivan.

The bit about my BIL because it was funny seeing how he was trying to take minivan amount of luggage in a sedan and that doesn't work.

I don't drive clients around and don't have to project an image which I think many people who buy/lease these $100K sedans want to project.

I think the idea of a hybrid luxury sedan is OK, but IMO it's more about image. As if to say, look at me I care about the environment so I bought a 5000 lb hybrid that gets 26mpg (don't get me wong, I think it will get great mileage for a big car) but I think it's phoney eco-frendly since the total effect of making a 5000 lb car with 300 (?) lbs of batteries is working as much against the environment as for. Also come on, don't think people with $2000/mo to lease this bad boy are concerned with the gas bill. You can get a V10 S8 Audi for $10K less and pay more at the pump but still be ahead b/c of the price of the LS.

I don't want to come across as a hater, I just said as another poster said, for me there are better (more fun) cars under $100K, and I prefer a minivan for when I need a ton of room and a mid-size sedan when I don't need a ton of room. Also as I said I wouldn't messy kids in my $100K car. I don't care too much if they spill soft drink in my $33K minivan.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by rai,Apr 9 2007, 01:25 PM
Sorry, I didn't have much time when I put my first post together.

I mean, for me, the whole idea of $100K+ for a sedan is not working. Usually when I drive it's me and my wife so I don't need six yards of rear seat room, so a car like the A6/S6 or E-class or S4 (etc.) would do just fine.

When I need a ton of room, I prefer to have a ton of room such as a Minivan.

The bit about my BIL because it was funny seeing how he was trying to take minivan amount of luggage in a sedan and that doesn't work.

I don't drive clients around and don't have to project an image which I think many people who buy/lease these $100K sedans want to project.

I think the idea of a hybrid luxury sedan is OK, but IMO it's more about image. As if to say, look at me I care about the environment so I bought a 5000 lb hybrid that gets 26mpg (don't get me wong, I think it will get great mileage for a big car) but I think it's phoney eco-frendly since the total effect of making a 5000 lb car with 300 (?) lbs of batteries is working as much against the environment as for. Also come on, don't think people with $2000/mo to lease this bad boy are concerned with the gas bill. You can get a V10 S8 Audi for $10K less and pay more at the pump but still be ahead b/c of the price of the LS.

I don't want to come across as a hater, I just said as another poster said, for me there are better (more fun) cars under $100K plus a minivan for when I need a ton of room and a mid-size sedan when I don't need a ton of room
other people have other uses for a big 4 door luxury seden. just because your perfer to use a mini van if you need room doesn't mean other people do.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:39 AM
rai

Originally Posted by Daniel L,Apr 9 2007, 08:12 AM
That was random and funny. Seems like you don't really like him.

He's the typical arrogant BMW buyer. He'll let you know his car is better than your car. He'll let you know he just picked up the latest $80K bimmer/Audi. He likes to feel like he's made it more-so than you have.

Another point, when I first got the S2000, he wanted to check it out. I don't mind letting other people drive my car, I like them to see the Honda is a fun little car. It was a perfect warm sunny day, the ideal vert day not too hot.

I let him take it around solo so he could have a nice drive do whatever he wanted have fun. He came back, not so much as a thak's that was fun. I asked him what he thought of it, all he said was he didn't understand why I bought a car with a manual tranny. It didn't regester that it's fun to drive a car with a MT on a warm sunny day. He said something about his partenr has a 911 turbo (bragging as hi's partenr has one by default he could have one).
Old 04-09-2007, 11:42 AM
rai

[QUOTE=yellow2001,Apr 9 2007, 11:34 AM] other people have other uses for a big 4 door luxury seden.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by rai,Apr 9 2007, 02:39 PM
He's the typical arrogant BMW buyer. He'll let you know his car is better than your car. He'll let you know he just picked up the latest $80K bimmer/Audi. He likes to feel like he's made it more-so than you have.

Another point, when I first got the S2000, he wanted to check it out. I don't mind letting other people drive my car, I like them to see the Honda is a fun little car. It was a perfect warm sunny day, the ideal vert day not too hot.

I let him take it around solo so he could have a nice drive do whatever he wanted have fun. He came back, not so much as a thak's that was fun. I asked him what he thought of it, all he said was he didn't understand why I bought a car with a manual tranny. It didn't regester that it's fun to drive a car with a MT on a warm sunny day. He said something about his partenr has a 911 turbo (bragging as hi's partenr has one by default he could have one).
Unfortunately, guys like him makes BMW drivers look bad. He should be driving a "Benzo".
Old 04-09-2007, 03:26 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

actually, a lot of people would buy it. I personally know of 2 who will trade in their LS430.
it's not the S2000 crowd but the rich older businessmen/lawyers/doctors are all over this.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:35 PM

It's worth every penny.
400+hp and TONS of torque. Reliable. Durable. Excellent resale. Fuel efficient.

Depends on what's important to you [only status symbol], but on most levels this car kills the competition. I've had a couple LS series cars and of course they aren't exciting to drive, anyone who says that as if it's a bad thing is an idiot.

A S600 or big MB AMG is going to cost 60-80k more up front, more to insure, be TONS less reliable, have HORRIBLE resale [think 30-60k over the first year or two in depreciation], and eat TONS more gas. And trust me, $$$ matters to many rich people just as much or more than it does to poor people.

Any of you guys owned a big body benz? Most of their ownership experiences are NIGHTMARES after the first few years. My 93 S600 V12 sedan was a beautiful machine, but each injector had 3-4 parts that failed regularly [say every couple years] that cost 1200. EACH injector, there are TWELVE. My friend's SL55 AMG had to go to the dealer for over a week at a time in the FIRST year he owned it. He also spent 1800 between those visits because electrical problems killed his batteries which are NOT covered under warranty.

That lexus is an immense value, I'll surely be picking up an LS460 in a few years. I do agree that is quite the premium to pay for an upgrade on the already very powerful and efficient [20/26] LS460.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS600