Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Lexus is350

Old 10-22-2005, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got to drive the IS350 last night and I have mixed feelings about it. The car is comfortable, the interior/exterior is very attractive, and the motor is strong, but the steering was way too light and numb (big surprise!), the TC was undefeatable, and the engine felt like it had been restrained too much (it has a slight growl, but Lexus engineers had killed most of it).

I think with a little better breathing, that v6 could be awesome lighter coupe/convertible with around 330hp. Too bad Lexus would never make an engine that spits, burps, or farts, because this one has some potential.

Verdict: Another perfect car from Lexus for the person that doesn't want to have too much fun driving.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Saab9-3,Oct 22 2005, 09:29 AM
Verdict: Another perfect car from Lexus for the person that doesn't want to have too much fun driving.
And they will sale like hot cakes.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by munckee,Oct 22 2005, 12:57 PM
I thought the optional HID on the higher end cars like the 911 was for the BI-xenon option (HID high beams) and that the low beams were HID standard?
It comes w/ projected halogen low beam. The $1,000 HID option includes the bi-xenon (high and low HID) as well as headlght washing.

Jsmply, I remember leather/alcantra, HID headlights, sunroof, lsd were all options in '01 IS300. They later became standards year by year (due to not meeting sale goals?). Those were options even in GS at the time (I don't know if they still are in the new model). Theoractically, you can customize how you want it, but realistically you are limited to what's on the their lot, which most are pretty loaded w/ options. Looks like Lexus is back to their old tricks again.

All in all, it really is just a way for dealer/mfr to tax you on overpriced options - it is so gimmicky. I much prefer Acura cars come loaded at around the same base prices as other mfrs' respective cars. At the very least, it makes me more guilt-free to have toys that are nice to have, but I don't nec. care or want to pay extra for.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by S2000bobster,Oct 21 2005, 07:41 AM
Right now the salesman said they are going on MSRP. Isn't the new IS a mass produced car? If Lexus expects to increase the current IS sales for over 600 percent they better start to negotiate the prices!
Yeah, because so far their pricing and marketing strategy hasn't gotten them anywhere..... Not to sound too sarcastic, but really, I think most of their product is overpriced and yet they sell in droves with little discounting till the very end of a product cycle.

You can bet, if the cars start sitting around, the prices will come down. If they have waiting lists, no matter how much you might not like it, they will hold MSRP.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jsmply,Oct 22 2005, 07:33 AM

Supposedly you could get cloth seats and no moonroof but it had to be special ordered. I've never seen one in person (saw cloth but not the no moonroof) and I was part of the IS community for quite a while.
Mine didn't have any option, but it was one of the first IS300 in the country.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:02 PM

IS350 with couple option will easily go over $40K mark. At that price I can get an RL. RL is a much better car compare to the IS350. AWD, Sat Traffic nav, keyless access and start, with a kicka$$ bose system and performance boasting 300HP. you can buy for 40-42K brand new if you can find an 05 remaining in stock. It may not be faster but who care. You don't buy an IS350 or RL to go drag track on the weekend or anything.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by PsychoBen,Oct 21 2005, 12:11 PM
Just like you firmly stated that the IS350 will have 260HP only?
You werent supposed to remember that. Toyota really surprised me
Old 10-24-2005, 02:00 AM

the car is nice no doubt about it! but i would STILL take e90 over it anyday.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Tsa1,Oct 24 2005, 04:00 AM
the car is nice no doubt about it! but i would STILL take e90 over it anyday.
I drove the IS350 and 330i, this weekend at the Lexus event in Dallas. There is no doubt in my mind that the IS is faster and more powerful.
There is also no doubt that the IS's auto transmission is more responsive than the 3series.
There were parts of the course where the 3 series would have a little torque lag, where the IS would power out of the corners. The extra 50 horsies definitely makes the diff. There is also no doubt that the IS has a much better ride.

All of these factors would make it sound like the IS is a better car for me, but this where the doubt starts to creep in. The IS is a great car, no doubt. With Lexus's reliability, it will probably be a better car for 90% of the population. But the 3series felt like a car that an s2k owner could "gratuate" to when he has a need for a car with a back seat (by the way, it looked like the IS had more leg room in the back seat also). I wont go into details because I'm realizing that my miniReview sounds like every review from the automags. I can help thinking, "Man that lexus had good power delivery and was smooth as butta. But the 3series felt so good". I think the 3series would be the perfect car if it had the 350's motor (i dont wanna hear any crap about the legendary inline six...). BMW will have a truly remarkable car when they release a 350i. I just hope they keep it under 40K MSRP.

I honestly have no idea which car i would pick. I think i would probably get used IS350, with a 6 speed hopefully.... This would allow me to save a few bucks, not too sure i would be as excited about purchasing a used 3series
Old 10-24-2005, 11:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the review. I would have a hard time picking between the IS350 and 330i/325i (essentially the same engine from what I am told) myself.

Could you downshift to 1st in the IS350, or is it a computer override between 1st/2nd gears like the old IS300?

Quick Reply: Lexus is350