Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Lexus IS 350 versus BMW 335i

Old 09-26-2006, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't say that the IS has extreme amounts of body roll/squat/dive, it's just that compared with it's main competition (BMW 3 series, G35, C class) it doesn't shine as a drivers car. Lexus marketing targeted the 3 series, but in reality it's more like a C class done better. The steering is softer with less feedback, it soacks up the bumps, and is less skitish on uneven pavement than the 3 series. The interior quality on both is about equal (unlike the squeak mobile C class), but the IS is much more plush and flashy (BMW interior is high quality but bland).

Before, with only the 330i Lexus had the definite edge in straight line acceleration. Now, BMW has a slight advantage and with the 335i priced about 5k less than I was expecting, they are actually in the same ball park for price. Once the IS500 is out, I bet everything will flip flop again with the IS500 being faster and a tad more expensive than the 335i.

As I would buy them now the cost isn't hugely different, but you do get Navigation with Lexus (nice, but I'd pass on it if I could save $2000) and not with the BMW.

BMW 335i Sedan
Sport Package
Premium Package
Fold Down Rear Seats
Comfort Access
Heated Seats
Sirius
Total MSRP = $45,990

Lexus IS350
X-Package with Additional Options $6,367.00
X-Package includes:
- Sport pedals
- 18-in Alloy wheels
- Sport-tuned suspension
- Illuminated scuff plates
- Front air dam

Additional Options:
- Premium Package
- Lexus voice-activated DVD Navigation System
- Bi-xenon High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps and Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS)
- Preferred Accessory Package (includes Cargo net, Trunk mat and Wheel locks)

Total MSRP $42,787.00

You definitely do get more for your money with the IS. Nicer interior, one of the best sound systems, more luxury toys. My personal preference is the 3 series... but you do give up a lot in luxury and reliability plus a nice wad of cash (even before factoring in discounts) to get it.

And y2ks2k my logical guess is everyone is comparing the IS to the 3 series. Compared to the 3 series, the IS does have a lot of body roll and numb steering... which is more a testimant to how phenomenal the 3 series chassis and road feel is. From what I know STis are nearly as bad as EVOs in the road feedback department. I've never driven an STi, but EVOs are numb as hell. Very easy to drive fast, but not that excillerating. Compared with EVOs the IS steering is much softer and I couldn't feel any increase in resistance when cornering hard whatsoever. Given, I was on twisty public roads... but at 80% the IS was numb where the 3 was not.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Styling-wise I like IS much more than 3-series sedan. I also like the Lexus's interior. But I think 3-series still out-handles and outrun IS350. However, after considering the price I would definitely go for IS350. $48k is in the 5-series territory.