Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Leaving Honda behind

Old 06-13-2007, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=jasonjm,Jun 12 2007, 09:11 AM] ::Looking to the horizon::
So the LFA has shown it's true shape letting the world know once again that Toyota is serious. Not that the fact it's been in testing for what seems like a gazillion years with a seemingly unlimited budget. Then, Nissan tries to trick us into thinking that their new upcoming smaller coupe is a lie. Don't try, we know what
Old 06-14-2007, 06:12 AM

[QUOTE=aaonms,Jun 13 2007, 03:11 PM] 20 years ago, used to crew for a Honda/Acura IMSA team that then went SCCA. When Honda quit making the CRX and many complained that the Del Sol wasn
Old 06-14-2007, 06:17 AM
Former Moderator

[QUOTE=Chris Stack,Jun 13 2007, 01:17 AM]

To 90% of the population, sports car=swoopy styling and two doors.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GPMike,Jun 12 2007, 12:23 PM
Sorry to say but FYI, OP.....Honda doesn't have to sell 1 sports car. They make their money selling gazillions of Accords, Civics, Odysseys, Fits, etc, etc worldwide. Honda/Acura is associated with advanced engine/fuel efficiency and quality, as well as tremendous resale value vs. their competitors. They build sports cars for fun, not because they have to.

PS....the future NSX with a 500hp V-10 is what?
I agree especially on the resale. Civics have had the best resale for like decades now.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ubetit,Jun 14 2007, 09:17 AM
I'm not really sure the point of your experiment. You missed the points myself and GT_2003 are trying to make.

The theory is that Honda doesn't have a sporty image

Go stand in the parking lot and ask people "what comes to mind when you think of Honda. "Sporty" won't make it into the top 10 answers unless you are 18 with a riced out civic.
Usually individuals who are into sports cars will know Honda basically got it's start from racing and that they've always been famous for their race cars/bikes. Plus, a lay person isn't going to be able to afford something that you classify as sporty (Corvette, 911, Elise, etc). To the average person (which is the majority of the population, I'd say), disc brakes, a 5-speed, and 3 spoke steering wheel means sporty.

Once you start looking at the true sports car enthusiasts, for example, the S2000 community (we all see Honda's racing heritage and are fully aware of their prowess in creating sports cars), then you have people who know Honda can make a sports car, but we also know it won't be on the level of a Zonda or Murcielago.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:52 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by C U AT 9K,Jun 14 2007, 10:36 AM
Usually individuals who are into sports cars will know Honda basically got it's start from racing and that they've always been famous for their race cars/bikes.
The OP said Honda was losing its "sporty" image. I argued Honda doesn't have a sporty image. We aren't talking about the small (and I do mean SMALL) subset of people that know about Honda's racing past, Honda's F1 team or individuals that are into sports cars. The general population of the US thinks Honda makes well-built, reliable and fuel efficient vehicles that last forever.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubetit,Jun 14 2007, 06:52 AM
The OP said Honda was losing its "sporty" image. I argued Honda doesn't have a sporty image. We aren't talking about the small (and I do mean SMALL) subset of people that know about Honda's racing past, Honda's F1 team or individuals that are into sports cars. The general population of the US thinks Honda makes well-built, reliable and fuel efficient vehicles that last forever.
I think everyone's point is valid. Here is why.

I do not doubt for a minute that depending on the geographical location (does it have correlation to marketing deployment? who knows.) you'd get a different answer of whether or not Honda is 'Sporty'. What do you guys think?

Your right, i did say Honda was losing it's 'sporty' image. So with that in mind and taking in what you said about the small subset group that is aware of Honda's heritage etc.., will/is Honda losing it's sporty image? What do you guys think?

And of course, with the rest of the world who do not know about Honda's past racing heritage, the NSX, or S2000 etc................. will/is Honda losing their 'Sporty' image amongst these people? I think it's obvious here that theres nothing to lose, but I've posed this question anyway.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:53 AM

Please Please stop calling the next gen Acura flagship a "NSX". Its going to be far from it.

My experience with Honda. I grew up in the 80's watching Honda dominate F1. I saw a NSX at the Houston Auto show in 1990 +and fell in love with it. Since then I have bought a Civic and a 97 prelude. I liked the nimbleness of Hondas. When I bought my MDX in 10/00, I talked to sales manager and asked him about a deposit on the next gen NSX. He said I could be first as soon as he gets confirmation of it. Ofcourse the 2002 NSX was a cosmetic update and I didn't feel that it was worth it. I kept thinking that there must be planning a whole new model for 2004 or 2005. I didn't hear any news. I finally gave up on the next gen NSX and bought a NSX in mid/2002. I figured I can trade it in on the next gen NSX when it finally comes out. Well I am still waiting for the next gen NSX. Lets see - I think I have been waiting for 7 years now. The latest news is that the next gen. Acura sports car is going to be out in 2009. So after all the disappointment I gave up on Honda/Acura. I have never been a porsche fan but I checked out a 997S. A couple of month later I bought a GT3. I absolutely love it. The car is as close to sports car perfection as you can get IMHO. I think the likelyhood of another Honda sports car is slim to none and the likelyhood of me buying is none.

The fact that Honda has done very little to update the S2000 shows to me what is really important to them. So basically, I have given up on a Honda sports car in the future. I hope that I am wrong but I doubt it. I will just keep my NSX, hang out in my garage and smoke a cigar thinking about the good ole days when Soichiro was still alive, and Senna was dominating F1 in a Mclaren Honda.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MDXLuvr,Jun 14 2007, 07:53 AM
Please Please stop calling the next gen Acura flagship a "NSX". Its going to be far from it.

My experience with Honda. I grew up in the 80's watching Honda dominate F1. I saw a NSX at the Houston Auto show in 1990 +and fell in love with it. Since then I have bought a Civic and a 97 prelude. I liked the nimbleness of Hondas. When I bought my MDX in 10/00, I talked to sales manager and asked him about a deposit on the next gen NSX. He said I could be first as soon as he gets confirmation of it. Ofcourse then 2002 NSX was a cosmetic update and I didn't feel that it was worth it. I kept thinking that there must be planning a whole new model for 2004 or 2005. I didn't hear any news. I finally gave up on the next gen NSX and bought a NSX in mid/2002. I figured I can trade it in on the next gen NSX when it finally comes out. Well I am still waiting for the next gen NSX. Lets see - I think I have been waiting for 7 years now. The latest news is that the next gen. Acura sports car is going to be out in 2009. So after all the disappointment I gave up on Honda/Acura. I have never been a porsche fan but I checked out a 997S. A couple of month later I bought a GT3. I absolutely love it. The car is as close to sports car perfection as you can get IMHO. I think the likelyhood of another Honda sports car is slim to none and the likelyhood of me buying is none.

The fact that Honda has done very little to update the S2000 shows to me what is really important to them. So basically, I have given up on a Honda sports car in the future. I hope that I am wrong but I doubt it. I will just keep my NSX, hang out in my garage and smoke a cigar thinking about the good ole days when Soichiro was still alive, and Senna was dominating F1 in a Mclaren Honda.
Gota love those good ole days...
Old 06-14-2007, 08:00 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MDXLuvr,Jun 14 2007, 10:53 AM

My experience with Honda. I grew up in the 80's watching Honda dominate F1. I saw a NSX at the Houston Auto show in 1990 +and fell in love with it. Since then I have bought a Civic and a 97 prelude. I liked the nimbleness of Hondas. When I bought my MDX in 10/00, I talked to sales manager and asked him about a deposit on the next gen NSX. He said I could be first as soon as he gets confirmation of it. Ofcourse then 2002 NSX was a cosmetic update and I didn't feel that it was worth it. I kept thinking that there must be planning a whole new model for 2004 or 2005. I didn't hear any news. I finally gave up on the next gen NSX and bought a NSX in mid/2002. I figured I can trade it in on the next gen NSX when it finally comes out. Well I am still waiting for the next gen NSX. Lets see - I think I have been waiting for 7 years now. The latest news is that the next gen. Acura sports car is going to be out in 2009. So after all the disappointment I gave up on Honda/Acura. I have never been a porsche fan but I checked out a 997S. A couple of month later I bought a GT3. I absolutely love it. The car is as close to sports car perfection as you can get IMHO. I think the likelyhood of another Honda sports car is slim to none and the likelyhood of me buying is none.

Great post.

Quick Reply: Leaving Honda behind