Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Learning to Ride

Old 05-19-2010, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my first bike was an Buell XB9R..great first bike.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^gorgeous!
Old 05-19-2010, 08:03 PM

In my opinion, the biggest factor in new riders going down is because they aren't relaxed on the bike. The more you tense up (which you will because your body hasn’t trusted the bike yet) on the bike, the more the bike will work against you. Don't get this confused with being alert. Just know that the more time you have in the saddle, the more you will trust the bike which translates into a better rider.

One thing people can't show you are when and where the hazards will occur, only how to avoid them once they occur. When I first started riding, I had MANY situations where I could have went down by the hands of other......cars turning right in front of me, a van kicked up a 4ft metal pole on the hwy that came flying at me, if I hadn't ducked, it was have been a bad scene, cars merging onto my lane because they don't see me....ect. The point is, there will be lots of scenarios where things will make you panic, what I'm advising you to do is to not panic. The problem is, a lot of beginners will panic and as a result, they will go down.

Conclusion, take a motorcycle safety course to reevaluate whether riding is for you. In my case, there is no other feeling in the world. If the worst will ever occur, then it will be at the hands of what I have done, not what I wanted to do. I'm only here once; you better believe I'm going to enjoy it!

Old 05-20-2010, 06:45 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm surprised to hear you say that insurance on the bike would be cheaper. Did you actually get insurance quotes, or are you just assuming based on the purchase price? I would have expected the insurance on a 600cc supersport to be at least TWICE that for an S2000 for somebody in their early twenties.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:45 PM

My suggestions:

1.) When learning be confident, but dont be too confident. Dont wonna hit the only island in a parking lot going 90 MPH.

2.) Have the mental state that you are invisible. Not in the sense that you can do what ever you want, but in the sense that no one is really looking for you and therefore wont see you.

3.) Where you look you will go.

4.) HAVE FUN!!!

I just scrolled back up and read that you just wanted to know if it was easy LOL.

As for learning difficulty, It wasnt hard at all. Aslong as you know what your getting yourself into.

I would suggest taking a Motorcycle training course. I got my M1 endorsement with out taking a class. A year down the road I ended up taking the class because my Girlfriend at the time wanted to learn to ride. After taking the class I realised that my riding style changed dramatically. And depending on your state rules if you take a training class you dont even have to take a test at the DMV.

As for a suggestion on a bike. You are on the right track, For a first bike you should get a used bike. Reason being alot of new riders drop/crash their bike in the first 6 months.(Read in my CA DMV pamphlet and know several goons that this has happened to.) I think the Suzuki SV650 is a very good bike for beginner riders.

Well thats my 2 cents. I hope it helped and have fun out there!!!
Old 05-21-2010, 03:31 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan,May 20 2010, 06:45 PM
I'm surprised to hear you say that insurance on the bike would be cheaper. Did you actually get insurance quotes, or are you just assuming based on the purchase price? I would have expected the insurance on a 600cc supersport to be at least TWICE that for an S2000 for somebody in their early twenties.
It's been a while, but in my early 20s, motorcycle insurance (liability only) was VERY cheap relative to my car insurance.

You can only do so much damage to a motorcycle, or with a motorcycle.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:21 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Oh yeah, liability only - back in my 20s when I had my YZF600R that was the only way I could afford my bike. IIRC it was something like $200/year.

But now, with my 2007 CBR600RR and full coverage it is 2.58 times as expensive as my S2000. (Different companies though, and I have more discounts associated with the S2000.) And I'm in my 30s.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:45 PM

Ha my insurance for my motorcycle was way more than my s2000. I payed cash for a brand new bike. I got a quote of 800 for just liability. Couple months after the insurance company raised it to 1900 for a year. They said there was stuff on my record that they did not notice.

For my s2000 since I payed cash I was just going to get liability but since it was only extra 200/6 months for full coverage I ended up with full coverage. 550 X 2 = 1100.

Being 23 and having a very long record sux
Old 05-25-2010, 12:37 AM
Spammer

Originally Posted by Saki GT,May 19 2010, 05:29 AM
Learning to ride is easy, being safe and smart is what takes work. Take a class to learn to ride - sometimes you can find condensed two-day weekend courses - worth it because you spend more time on the bike at one time learning imo. It will bring up a lot of stuff you haven't thought about before, and train you on it.

As for the bikes, are you in the city proper? You listed all big sport bikes, which isn't best for city riding or new riders imo. I think you should look at nakeds for first bikes, especially if it is your only mode of transportation. 600-750 would be a better starting range.

Also, you probably want to consider a cheap beater car into your budget - there will be days when you do not want to ride. Really bad weather, too much stuff to bring, meeting friends out, some times you don't want to deal with a bike and all your gear. Btw, budget for gear. You don't want to be holed up in a burn ward because you were riding in shorts.
really, i also wanna stduy to ride
Old 05-25-2010, 03:46 AM

After you take the MSF, get a used naked bike. It will go down and fairings are expensive. Noobs drop bikes for dumb reasons, not always crashes so wait a year before you get something very nice. Also, remember that a sportbike may not fit you or your style of riding, you won't know until you get a few thousand miles.

So get a inexpensive used bike to start if you can. You won't regret it.

Quick Reply: Learning to Ride