Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Learning to Ride

Old 05-18-2010, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learning to Ride

Hey Everyone

I just graduated the other day and am soon getting to the point where my student loans are going to slap me in the face. I have always wanted a a bike, and I am realizing that I can sum up a good chunk of change selling the S. I can also save a good deal of money on insurance from switching to a bike.

I am looking to get some input as to how difficult it is in learning to ride, is it a long drawn out process? Also, is there any input anyone can offer up as to looking into bikes? I would most definitely be buying a used bike. I am not interested in going with anything above 749cc's, and I like most others am interested in a GSXR, CBRR, YZF R6, or a ZXR.

Any advice to someone in my position is appreciated
Old 05-18-2010, 10:42 PM

Just don’t laugh, you need to ride a bicycle a lot to know how to control the bike, then just start riding on empty parking lots and try to feel everything and how the bike feels under braking, turning, accelerating and maneuvering at different speeds, that’s very important because of the gyroscopic force, the bike turning behavior changes as the speed increases.

After you feel confidant, ride on roads you know on off-peak times and watch out for those blind drivers. Always assume that you are NOT visible to others and all road users are drunk!

Enjoy it
Old 05-19-2010, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by ahmad,May 18 2010, 10:42 PM
Just don’t laugh, you need to ride a bicycle a lot to know how to control the bike, then just start riding on empty parking lots and try to feel everything and how the bike feels under braking, turning, accelerating and maneuvering at different speeds, that’s very important because of the gyroscopic force, the bike turning behavior changes as the speed increases.

After you feel confidant, ride on roads you know on off-peak times and watch out for those blind drivers. Always assume that you are NOT visible to others and all road users are drunk!

Enjoy it
that is a great piece of advice, as dumb as it sounds I wouldn't have thought to spend time practicing on a bicycle.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:29 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Learning to ride is easy, being safe and smart is what takes work. Take a class to learn to ride - sometimes you can find condensed two-day weekend courses - worth it because you spend more time on the bike at one time learning imo. It will bring up a lot of stuff you haven't thought about before, and train you on it.

As for the bikes, are you in the city proper? You listed all big sport bikes, which isn't best for city riding or new riders imo. I think you should look at nakeds for first bikes, especially if it is your only mode of transportation. 600-750 would be a better starting range.

Also, you probably want to consider a cheap beater car into your budget - there will be days when you do not want to ride. Really bad weather, too much stuff to bring, meeting friends out, some times you don't want to deal with a bike and all your gear. Btw, budget for gear. You don't want to be holed up in a burn ward because you were riding in shorts.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:29 AM

yea riding a motorcycle is easy. the main concern is how and when to be safe on it. just take it easy and don't go over your head at all times.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:57 AM

take the motorcycle safety course. it will teach u all the basics and then go out and find a nice big parking lot to practice in.

riding is expensive. dont forget to add money for proper riding gear. helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, etc.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:32 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

I would *strongly* recommend against going with a hardcore 600 sportbike for your first street bike. Not because of the power (it's easy enough to keep it out of the powerband, just shift at 6k), but because of the ergos.

The ergos are optimized for track performance. As street bikes, IMO they kinda suck, particularly for a newb.

I would *strongly* recommend something less track-focused. You'll spend less $$$ and actually ENJOY riding it more.

Recommended sporting bikes that don't suck for normal street riding:
Kawasaki Ninja 250, 500, 650, or ER-6N
Suzuki SV650 (used naked preferably), GS500F, GSX650F or Gladius
Yamaha FZ6, FZ6R

Also strongly recommend buying USED. Very easy to find bikes a few years old that have done nothing but sit in the garage and are in pristine condition for way less than new. (no reason to buy anything that's been sitting out and looks tired!).
Old 05-19-2010, 09:44 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Also Honda 599.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,May 19 2010, 05:29 AM
Learning to ride is easy, being safe and smart is what takes work. Take a class to learn to ride - sometimes you can find condensed two-day weekend courses - worth it because you spend more time on the bike at one time learning imo. It will bring up a lot of stuff you haven't thought about before, and train you on it.

As for the bikes, are you in the city proper? You listed all big sport bikes, which isn't best for city riding or new riders imo. I think you should look at nakeds for first bikes, especially if it is your only mode of transportation. 600-750 would be a better starting range.

Also, you probably want to consider a cheap beater car into your budget - there will be days when you do not want to ride. Really bad weather, too much stuff to bring, meeting friends out, some times you don't want to deal with a bike and all your gear. Btw, budget for gear. You don't want to be holed up in a burn ward because you were riding in shorts.
Yeah I definitely would do a course, not only because it would be necessary in becoming comfortable with a bike but don't you also need to take some sort of exam in order to have a certified motorcycle license. As for a beater, I have a Jeep that I use for hauling and winter driving. Gear is something I didn't even think about, Ill have to look into prices on that.

On a side note: Why if the bikes I listed are so difficult to ride are they so prevalent? I live in the suburbs if that makes any difference.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What ZDan said. Please, please, take the MSF beginner class. There are too many squidly noobs on crotch rockets, don't pile on.

Buy something used AND inexpensive, like the plain SV650 (599, etc,), and sell it in a year or so when you are ready to move up. That way you won't cry if you drop it at zero MPH (and odds are you will) and it won't run away on you quite as easily as a hypersports model.

Think back to your first car, magnify the hazard about 10-fold, and ask yourself if would have been wise to start driving with a Konigsegg CCX as your first car. That's the logic behind learner bikes.

Quick Reply: Learning to Ride