Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Land Rover Discovery 03-04

Old 11-22-2004, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Land Rover Discovery 03-04

I'm thinking about selling my Cherokee and buying a Discovery. I drove one last week and I liked it alot. It's alot nicer than my Jeep, and my career/family is doing well, so why not? Anyway, I'm considering the 03, probably the HSE model. Do any of you have any experience with the newer Discovery? I know the older ones were POS. If you have any good stories or horror stories, please share them.

-Keith
Old 11-22-2004, 08:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Owned a 01 SE7 from 01 until last week. 43k miles. Very well put together, nearly zero issues. Climbed like a goat off-road with the proper tires.

A bit noisy and cantankerous - as well as slow.

The LR3 we now own is worlds better -- but a damn bit more expensive too.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Every person I know who has owned a Range Rover has been very dissapointed. A friend of mine has owned both a 94' County LWB and an 00' 4.6 HSE. Both had electrical gremlins (amongst other things) that the technicians could never get a grasp of. The HSE was sold after 17,000 KM's it was such a heap. The 94' County had persistent steering rack problems as well. Friends of ours who still have their 99' Discovery have had some of the same experiences, coupled with lousy fuel economy and a super crappy short wheel base ride, I wouldn't touch one. Perhaps the German influx will bode well for this brand, time will tell. I would prefer the equally capable, more reliable Toyota Land Cruiser.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:04 AM

The Land Cruiser is not as capable, nearly twice the price -- and folks like me hit their heads on the roof in the back seat.

Land Rovers are interesting, everyone always has an aunt/uncle/brother-in-law etc who had a total piece of shit -- yet in nearly 5 years of owning a Land Rover and participating in club events with one I have never met these people myself.

We looked at a Land Cruiser last week, no way in hell would I pay that price for a car that feels like it came straight from the mid-90's. I *might* buy one over a used Disco if I wanted something quieter and Japanese.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

While the Land Rover may be more capable off road, the Toyota rewards you with superior reliability and perhaps the best resale value in the SUV world. I would be surprised if any of these vehicles see more than light trail duty. Off road prowess means very much to very few. I am certain if you solicited every Land/Range Rover owner in NA you would find very few who have had mostly blemish free ownership experiences like yourself and many with absolute horror stories, remember we are dealing with British vehicles here.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:14 AM

If many, which is to mean the majority had horror stories, I seriously doubt Land Rover would still be in business.

Toyota needs to redesign the Land Cruiser. At 60k it is too small, too underpowered and has features common to cars 10 years ago (rear seats that are held in place with a piece of rope and a clip -- in a 60k car?)
Old 11-23-2004, 08:22 AM

What do you all think of the new 4runner? I drove one last week with the V8 and I really liked it. It is roughly the same cost as a Discovery, and I bet it's better as far as reliability goes...but I don't know. Something about the Disco I just like. As far as the Land Cruiser goes, that's out of my price range. I'm trying to stick around 30k.

-Keith
Old 11-23-2004, 08:26 AM

We owned a 98 4runner for 3 years (previous to our first Land Rover) It too was a great vehicle. The newer 4runners while ugly as sin in my view are even better in my opinion, more refined a bit more room in the hips ...
Old 11-23-2004, 09:35 AM

My wife has an 03 Disco. We've had no problems. It's been a good reliable SUV. The interior is a bit quirky, but that just adds to its charm (except for the narrow ingress/egress to the back seats. My wife's father is a big guy, and always complains when we take him anywhere).

Old 11-23-2004, 10:22 AM

touareg.

Quick Reply: Land Rover Discovery 03-04