Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Keep an Alfa Romeo or Buy an S2000?

Old 02-15-2014, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep an Alfa Romeo or Buy an S2000?

I currently have a 1989 Alfa Romeo Spider that I use as a daily driver, however recently I've been thinking of selling it and getting an S2000. I love the Alfa but it seems that something is always broken. I'll be going to college next year and have a four hour drive so I'm a bit worried about the reliability of the Alfa and also the safety of it. The Alfa doesn't have airbags and I can't imagine it would do well in a roll-over accident. Its been great for road trips and always puts a smile on my face, but I'm afraid its becoming a money pit. I'm also worried about rust in the spider.

My options now are either an ap1 S2000 or to spend about 3K to fix up the spider. Any advice?

Here's a picture of my car: Keep an Alfa Romeo or Buy an S2000?-9vndqsm.jpg
Old 02-15-2014, 09:50 AM

The Alfa is cute and nostalgic... The S2000 will do everything better however.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:54 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

An older car like your Alpha is great if you can afford the constant repairs and breakdowns that you've already become familiar with. It will only get worse. But when it's running, it is a fun car, as you know.

The newer Honda AP1 is still and older car, but if you have time to shop around, you can find one, usually, that has been taken care of, and it in good shape. It is a much safer car than your Alpha, and you'll be getting a more reliable car. I doubt that the windshield frame of the Alpha is designed for roll over protection, like the Honda S2000?
Old 02-15-2014, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're asking a board full of s2000 owners... Bit bias.

If you like performance autos, s2000 is obviously a better choice for performance.

It's fast, nimble and reliable. It can be beaten on daily and start right up next day.

Alfa looks great. If you're worried about reliability it's no question.

IF you don't care too much for performance, consider a comfy daily driver. Personally my S2000 is a weekend toy.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:45 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Find wrecked S2k with good drivetrain. Transplant into Spider.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:30 PM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

I am die hard Alfisti, so I am coming from a different perspective. I'd say step it up to next version Spyder and get the airbags if that is important. Most important issue on your Alfa or anyone's is rust. Only you know where your car stands. The mechanical stuff can be fixed and Alfa parts are pretty cheap.

Are you planning on it rolling it over? Do drive like that could be an outcome? One thing is that the S2000 will make your Alfa feel like antique. They are light years apart in that respect. You'll love driving the S2000, but it's no Alfa... Tough one. Both are holding their values well with Alfa increasing quicker. Comes down to rust. You will spend money on either car and things like tires are more expensive on the Honda. I assume you'll have to pony up some money for the price difference between the two?

Your Alfa is the nice one and will attract more ladies, but is not as fast or "ultimate" as the S2000. Honda is more likely to be stolen and insurance I assume costs more. There will be a time in your life where you can get either one again if that is important, especially with an Alfa.

ALFA - "Always looking for another", and it is so true... Alfa fans are the type with parts filling their garage with two project going at once.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:43 PM

One of the biggest issues is that I won't have the time or space to work on the Alfa at college like I do now. I usually do most work myself and once you start paying to fix things it gets expensive fast.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:32 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,013 Posts

If I were you, I'd store the Alfa, and get a different daily other than an S2000 as a daily. Save your money and get an S after college. I'd guess that your Alfa will increase in value over the next 4-5 years and you put minimal miles on her. That model/design is a classic. If you want a 2 seat convertible as a daily, I'd suggest a Miata. Cheaper and less prone to be stolen.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The S2000 would be a much better choice when you graduate from college and have a safe place to park it.

Perhaps you can spend the money on maintenance and keep the Alfa for college, it looks pretty nice.
Best of luck in college, and let us know what you end up deciding.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:57 PM

^ this.

Sounds like it would be cheaper to fix the Alfa. I'm not sure a two-seat roadster of any kind is an ideal college car, but I certainly don't see value in trading a known quantity for an unknown.

Quick Reply: Keep an Alfa Romeo or Buy an S2000?