Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Keep '03 Cobra & build older Miata for track or

Old 03-11-2005, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep '03 Cobra & build older Miata for track or

Pretty much what the subject says?

I love the Cobra but it's crudeness usually wears on me very quickly so I really don't drive it that much (also got a daily driver.)
I think the 04+ S feels awesome - very expensive feeling, precision, love the VTEC, steering, shifter, seats, taute suspension, etc. Can't say enough good stuff! If anything bad; maybe to me it looks like 9/10 scale . . . also not as good with the top up and it's only a 2 seater (good and bad.)

But the getting a 99 MX5 and adding suspension, lightening, and possible a BR M62 Supercharger would give similar characteristics as an S and allow me to keep the Cobra.

Finally, there a ton of aftermarket/track mods for 99 Mustangs. And if there is an on (or off-track) excursion, replacement parts/cars are readily available.

What do you think?
Old 03-11-2005, 08:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you're better off with a Spec Miata if you're thinking about tracking a car and potentially racing in SCCA.

if you're just going to mod a car for occasional track duty, keep the S.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd definitely keep the Cobra and get a cheap Miata to fix up, or possibly find a salvage titled S2000 if you're really itching for the S.

Miatas (for all the crap we give them) are really nice track cars & just cars period. Very tossable, cheap to fix up, etc etc.

good luck!
Old 03-15-2005, 12:25 PM

Track the Cobra, my track car is a supercharger Mustang (very moded suspension and brakes) and I love it!

here is a pic:

Old 03-15-2005, 12:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bullitt44,Mar 15 2005, 01:25 PM
Track the Cobra, my track car is a supercharger Mustang (very moded suspension and brakes) and I love it!
Yeah, but the Cobra or Camaro will never feel like an S or Miata.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bullitt44,Mar 15 2005, 01:25 PM

here is a pic:

By the word "track" he doesn't mean drag strip.

JK. I would go with the Miata as a track car, their cheap as hell and can be made to go quite fast.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Officer_down,Mar 15 2005, 01:54 PM
Yeah, but the Cobra or Camaro will never feel like an S or Miata.
yes, but the S or miata will never pull down those straights like a Cobra or Camaro, so it's all give and take
Old 03-16-2005, 01:06 PM

That's the thing - almost no single car is good at both.

And by the way, the mags never mod cars and then run laps times. If they did, the stangs would post much faster times relative to modding an S or Miata.
I believe this was proven in an article in C&D when the S first came out. They campaigned an S in SCCA roadracing series with F-bodies / stangs and didn't do so well. (artical called David vs Goliath possilbly)
I also think while the S/miatas put up good lap times they suffer when having to actually pass other cars (due loss of momentum / no low end torque to recover.)
(I could be wrong on this - just my limited experience in lower powered/light weights.)
Old 03-16-2005, 01:34 PM

Why not track the Cobra? They're pretty good stock and I would imagine with a few mods it would only get better.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by alex s,Mar 15 2005, 03:56 PM
yes, but the S or miata will never pull down those straights like a Cobra or Camaro, so it's all give and take
That is somewhat true. But it is much, much easier to make a car fast/faster than to make it feel like an S. By feel, I don't just mean skidpad numbers.

Quick Reply: Keep '03 Cobra & build older Miata for track or