Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Just a quick question

Old 09-04-2015, 04:55 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Old 09-04-2015, 06:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S2020
Originally Posted by Driven' timestamp='1441312077' post='23736270
"rice burners" don't use oil... they use water.
Rice absorbs the water, too much water and you get rice soup... too little and it'll be too dry.

Distilled water isn't advised for cooking rice, regular tap water should be fine.

I've always used the 3/4 cup of water to every cup of rice ratio, this will help prevent "rice burning".

good luck!
I thought distilled water is used in labs. I remember using in chem101.
i used filtered water for my rice.
Wonder why? I always use water from my RO system for rice (and everything else).
Old 09-04-2015, 07:01 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by S2020
Originally Posted by Driven' timestamp='1441312077' post='23736270
Rice absorbs the water, too much water and you get rice soup... too little and it'll be too dry.

Distilled water isn't advised for cooking rice, regular tap water should be fine.

I've always used the 3/4 cup of water to every cup of rice ratio, this will help prevent "rice burning".

good luck!

Remember to rinse the rice several times to get out the extra starch or it will be a sticky gooey mess. Water up to the second knuckle according to my wife.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:00 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Originally Posted by S2020' timestamp='1441317935' post='23736390
[quote name='Driven' timestamp='1441312077' post='23736270']

good luck!

Remember to rinse the rice several times to get out the extra starch or it will be a sticky gooey mess. Water up to the second knuckle according to my wife.
[/quote]
Yep, exactly what I do too... and let it sit in the cooker without turning it on for about 5 minutes to let the rice absorb some of the water before cooking.

Filtered water? Fancy... next up, bottled Smart Water, will it make it better?

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
This has got to be a joke. Call the cops
Originally Posted by mongomery1234
Your son drives a Mustang? Don't worry, he's probably going to wrap it around something doing what typical mustang driver's do anyways. But seriously? Oil? I don't see the point in this whole post. You know they are racing,cool. Why go play detective work and more importantly why be the idiot that parks in the middle of their "track" and ends up getting you and others killed. Guess who's at fault then? Let the police deal with it if its that big of a problem and stay home. Problem solved.
LOL, these two just got trolled, hahhaha
Old 09-04-2015, 11:31 AM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven
Filtered water? Fancy... next up, bottled Smart Water, will it make it better?
for me, it's VOSS water or GTFO. At least use Evian (from the French Alps)
Old 09-04-2015, 11:58 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

5w20 is terrible for cooking rice. Comes out very dark.

I like Fiji water...
Old 09-04-2015, 01:12 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,284 Likes on 989 Posts

I like Jack Daniel's on the rocks and Yang Chow's Yang Chow fried rice (with shrimp, pork, beef, and chicken) .
Old 09-04-2015, 03:36 PM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

So, I'll bite. . .

Ma'am, call the police. I know you're probably in Adelanto or Victorville, where the police are overwhelmed, but nothing good can be gained trying to catch them or piecing a case together from car parts (or oil) alone.

That said, whoever thinks Voss is a good idea, you do realize that before it was manufactured and injected with minerals, it was just Norwegian tap water, right? Seriously, Norwegian tap water is that good.

Does anybody know what kind of rice Jiro-san uses?
Old 09-04-2015, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, Reverse Osmosis water is not good for drinking. Water is incredibly good at dissolving minerals. When you drink RO water, which has many of the minerals removed, the water simply makes up for that lack by dissolving the minerals in your body - bones, teeth, etc. Much better to use filtered water which still contains the natural mineral content and therefore is not going to rob them from your system. This is one reason they sometimes have to add minerals back into "purified" bottled water before they sell it.

My personal favorite, however, is six parts of Hendrick's Gin, one part of good Vermouth, shaken not stirred. Got some chillin' in the fridge right now. Now, where were those olives?
Old 09-04-2015, 05:50 PM

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

basmati rice is the way to go. 2 parts cold water to 1 parts rice. Rinse the rice first with cold water. You will score that perfect bowl of rice- set the stove top to winning!

darcy

Quick Reply: Just a quick question