Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Just got my '01 S4...

Old 09-04-2004, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also heard something about the bi-pass valves... some people said they replaced the valve with an the TT's... did you find this necessary?

Check if you have a 2001.5 or pre..

the 00 and 01 are known to have weak by-pass valves...

Like BPUKiller mentioned, if you do end up chipping the car, consider buying a spare ECU...

Here's all the info you'll need...
http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1407640.phtml

EDIT:...btw...congrats!
Old 09-05-2004, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joeking1978,Sep 4 2004, 06:16 AM
thanks Sam... I was actually told by Bill to hunt ya down!

I'ver heard about the short-shifter... sounds like its well-liked (now I just have to find where to buy it! )

I've heard of a few different hose kits that are necessary due to leaks with additional boost... is Samco what you had? how much boost were you running through it?

I also heard something about the bi-pass valves... some people said they replaced the valve with an the TT's... did you find this necessary?

And Stassis springs and struts are getting more notariaty then bilstein so far... what's your take on that??

I'll probably mod in this order:

chip,
short-throw
exhaust (oh... and is this a cat-back exhaust or not? sounds like it is alot more expensive and a lot more work then the borla... is that a good assumption?)
springs and struts
downpipe...
and then where my creativity takes me!
I was running about 1.2 bar with a 1.5 bar peak with the GIAC. I didn't have the Samco kit, but I wish I had so I'm recommending it to you. The bi-pass valves are terrible, you can spend about $300 on after-market ones....just stay away from the EVO(no connection to the lancer) motorsports bi-pass valves. If you want to save some money on bi-pass valves I here the stock Audi TT 225HP bi-pass valves work great and are much beefier. I think they run about $40 each from the dealer. I would ask someone else about that since I have no first hand experience. I'm not sure about a shock and spring combo. I know my car had bilsteins dampers with H&R springs. It rode fairly nice. When I converted my car back to stock I thought the ride would be much softer, but I didn't feel any difference. With the exhaust, my Milltek was a cat-back. What takes hours is the downpipes since I hear you have to drop the tranny. I think it's a 8 hour job minimum to install downpipes by someone who has done the job. Hope this helps.

Sam