Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Just drove the new i3 from BMW, this is one trick looking car!

Old 02-21-2014, 02:48 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Just drove the new i3 from BMW, this is one trick looking car!

A little background, we have a hybrid in the stable (CT200h) and I've driven the Tesla at length on various drives (40+ miles into the city and back) and I have to say BMW's first crack at a electric vehicle is pretty good.

Recently there was an open house event so I got a chance to see/drive the new i3. The color was a really unique 2-tone black upper and lower burnt orange color. I think this car would look really cool with the white/black scheme. First thing I noticed were the wheels were extremely large almost blade like, I think they were 19's. We are not actually looking for another EV car but just wanted to check out this new ride from BMW.

Interior room looks tight because of the way the rear doors look but once you get past the lines, it's actually quite roomy opened up. They open like my Tacoma extend cab. The rear door swings back so suicide door so makes getting in and out really easy.

Once we hopped in, I knew my wife will immediately notice the african wood trim and the dual sunroof openings ~ she does not like sun and I do so the shades can be closed individually. There are dual LCD's, an odd START button that is hidden behind the right side of the steering wheel and an even more odd shifter for P, D, R. The middle LCD is for NAV and the BMW traditional iDrive is where it normally is except this one functions way more intuitive than the one in my M3. Plus the display is 10x better that what the e90 has!

When we took off, it's absolutely silent as most electrics cars are supposed to be but I noticed the car has heavy braking the minute the gas is left off, no coasting here! It accelerates pretty hard and turns good. It's definitely not a sports car, I can only imagine how good the i8 will be when it comes out.

Acceleration is quite strong and the car feels nimble, although center of gravity feels a bit high (like a small RAV4 type SUV). The car makes you think you are driving a SMART car but it's actually much larger, I an easily see a family of 4 going out in this thing. The dash cluster is really simple, two LCD's supply all of the information. One thing I like is there is a central button that activates some sort of vehicle collision avoidance system. I don't know what it does exactly or what it's called but it seems to be a 360 radar type system with alerts anytime someone is nearby, pretty cool

We did not get to go on the highway but at speeds up to 50mph around town, this thing really scoots. I love the open air concept and the car has virtually no blindspots. It's so quiet I told the sales guy it's almost like riding in a hot air balloon.

He said MSRP starts at $42k and they only have about 70 allocated this year. It's a very cool car and I suspect it will be quite popular. Sure beats driving a Nissan Leaf or Prius around. I'm going to take my wife back for a second test drive. I love high HP cars but these new electrics are really making a name for themselves!

cheers!

Old 02-21-2014, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick write-up. I have negative interest in owning such a vehicle, but I appreciate you sharing your thoughts as an interested party. I like these vehicles in theory

Tesla is looking more and more like the only company that has any idea how to make an EV car. I threw up a little in my mouth typing that

Is it necessary for the car to be so ugly? It certainly looks top-heavy, so to hear that it drives that way tells me this mode of EV car is an evolutionary dead end. Why change your powerplant when it means the fundamental part of the equation - the vehicle itself - is degraded in control, experience, and utility?!? I want a better car, not a poor oxcart substitute that costs more than better cars.

Why wouldn't I just buy a diesel Daewoo and paste BMW badges and grille on and call it a day?
Old 02-22-2014, 03:46 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Thanks for sharing.

The i3 and i8 are some of BMW's best automotive designs in a long time. The i8 especially; it looks like what you'd imagine cars to look like in "the future". My buddy is a big BMW guys (owns 3 right now). I hope they get him in an i8.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:00 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Every EV outside of Tesla looks ugly to me and this car is no different.

Thanks for the review Rick.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Every EV outside of Tesla looks ugly to me and this car is no different.

Thanks for the review Rick.
this~
Old 02-23-2014, 06:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The ultimate driving machine... sigh

That thing does not look remotely like a BMW. Nor, from your description, does it drive like one. Heck, even the CRZ is better looking, at not much more than half the price. To each their own of course, but if you want a Bimmer at that price point, why not get a 135i?
Old 02-23-2014, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The MSRP is $42k??? I heard this car being called the new Aztek. I don't like the looks at all. I thought this would be in the low $20k's. No subsidy then? I like the i8 but I have a feeling it will look old really fast.

Looks like the EV market is very niche from the comments above.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:32 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by travanx
The MSRP is $42k??? I heard this car being called the new Aztek. I don't like the looks at all. I thought this would be in the low $20k's. No subsidy then? I like the i8 but I have a feeling it will look old really fast.

Looks like the EV market is very niche from the comments above.
Yeah it breaks down like this
Function over form = ugly
Function and style = way too much money

Old 02-24-2014, 05:39 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

I saw the i3 and the i8 at the factory in Munich on an ED trip this year. The reviews of it have been pretty good, and say that it is fun to drive. It is, oddly styled inside and out though.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally don't see this car fitting BMWs brand very well. I think they could have stayed with the i8 only and been better off.

Quick Reply: Just drove the new i3 from BMW, this is one trick looking car!