Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Just bought another car.....

Old 06-30-2005, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought another car.....

My fiance and I decided it was time for her to buy a new car, since we're not sure how much longer her current car will last, and we don't want to put any more money into it. We looked at quite a few different cars, and for the money, we decided the Mazda3 S was the best bang for the buck. I must say, we're very impressed with the car. Concidering everything but the size of the car, and the engine output, I would have easily spent a few thousand more for the car than what we did. We ended up with a base model S for just over $17,000 (for those of you that don't know, the Mazda3i is the econmy level, the Mazda3s is the sport model). I don't remember the exact amount, but I do remember it was $89 over dealer invoice (yes, I talked him into showing the dealer invoice book to me). He really wanted to sell his 16th car for the month, so he would get a big bonus check. That made for easy negotiating! Anyway, just thought I would share the news, and definetly recommend the Mazda3 for anyone looking for a VERY nice car for a great price!
Old 06-30-2005, 05:16 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you look at the tC ? Wonder how it stacks up for about the same price?
Old 06-30-2005, 05:55 PM

Actually, we looked a little at the tC, but more so at the xB. We test drove the xB, but not the tC. The reason we were origionally looking at those 2 was because between her and her family, they have bought 7 cars from that toyota/volvo dealership so we figured we could get a good deal. After driving the xB, we realized the scions are nice cars, but that was about the extent of it. We were more impressed with what the mazda3 had to offer as far as engine output (comparatively speaking), design, and finish. Also, the available options for those cars aren't exactly the type of options we want, such as led lights on the floor and cup holders, color changing radio, etc. That's good for some people, but not what we have in mind. Personally, I do like the design of the tC though for what it's worth.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:29 PM

My girlfriend had a Mazda Protege and it was nice but still not quite as good as a Honda! It is too bad you did not wait and compare the 3 with the new 06 Civic.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:53 PM

I gave the 3s a long look for a daily driver. In the end I chose a 2005 Civic Si. The civic has a bit more cargo room, it seemed to handle a bit better and it came out about almost a $1000 cheaper. Oh and Honda was offering 2.9% financing.

Plus I just love the seats and shifter in the Si.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:07 PM

We did concider the civic, both the current and the new one coming out, but a couple factors played in our decision over the civic...
1.) car's ohio tags expires this week, and the car needed $1500 in repairs to pass maryland's inspection (man, I miss ohio's laws and regulations!). The car wasn't worth putting the money into, so we needed something fast! She won't drive my F-150 because she says it's too big, and I don't want to drive my S every day!
2.) civic's insurance rates are higher than the mazda's (we're both under 25 still, for a few months anyway)
3.) mazda's financing offer you really couldn't beat (we are able to trade in the car at any time for anything we want, even if it's not a mazda, and mazda financing will pay off the remaining balance over whatever we get for the car at no fee), and she has a 3.2% interest rate

It was a hard decision though, because I definetly miss my civic and all the mods I did to it.....RIP (f'n thieves!....but then again, I wouldn't have my S!)

PS: I definetly think the Mazda3 is was an improvement over the Protege....(not to put down your girfriend's past car in any way or form), but I think it has evolved over past couple years