Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Jetta TDI vs Insight Vs Prius.. What should I get?

Old 07-30-2009, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The coin flip argument is somewhat valid. It illustrates the importance of a minimum sample size. However, given that each of those manufactures on the list probably sells 200,000+ cars per year (and many over 1m/year) I don't think we have a minimum sample size issue.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geez, some of y'all need to take a basic stats class. There's a process for determining the sample size needed for statistical validity, and I'm sure JD Power uses sound statistical analysis to make your coin-flipping exercises irrelevant.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow scion is near bottom of the list and toyota is near top of the list. how does that work.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:34 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

FWIW, the VW reliability problems have been very model and year specific. The current MkV Jetta and Rabbit models have actually been very reliable, but other models have dragged VW's averages down. Check a model-by-model break down, and ignore that total manufacturer BS. FWIW, we've got an '08 VW Jetta with 23k miles and zero issues. It's been a great car, and I'm far from a VW fanboi. In fact, when we bought it, I insisted my wife drive a Civic in comparison, and to my surprise, we both hated the Civic and loved the Jetta. So, I'd go Jetta TDI.

And in response to the idiot who complained about Prius, etc, drivers driving fast, would you rather they be driving an SUV fast? If I drive quickly, I'm generally going to do it no matter what vehicle I'm in. So I might get only 40mpg out of a Prius driving like a jackrabbit (my grandpa's words) but that's better than the 13mpg I'd get driving the same way in a Suburban. It's not like they drove the SUV sedately and suddenly became a crazed hybrid driver.