Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Jetta TDI vs Insight Vs Prius.. What should I get?

Old 07-28-2009, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rockville,Jul 28 2009, 04:45 PM
The Fusion hybrid might make for a good Hybrid alternative. It's a more substantial car than the Prius and Insight while not having the potential reliability issues of the VW
How can you say that a brand new model hybrid doesn't have potential reliability issues?

You might be right, but I'd say to give the Fusion Hybrid a year before we say it's reliable.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Incubus,Jul 28 2009, 12:13 PM
How can you say that a brand new model hybrid doesn't have potential reliability issues?
My sentiments exactly, and diesel engines are known to be workhorses that usually log 200k miles easily. Go with the diesel.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:01 AM

TDI- hands down.

been seeing some of the new prius on the street. Boy, are they fugly.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:09 AM

Wow, this thread certainly brought out the ignorance about VW TDI's among a handful of y'all!

My wife has an '06 Jetta TDI w/ > 50K miles, and the only problem it's had is a clock that runs fast. I've had Hondas and Toyotas give me more trouble.

Can't speak for other VW's, but most owners' reports I hear about Jetta TDI's are very favorable. The new ones are supposed to be even better.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Incubus,Jul 28 2009, 09:13 AM

You might be right, but I'd say to give the Fusion Hybrid a year before we say it's reliable.
This is a response to you and Incubus.

The Fusion is a rework of the existing car. The previous Fusion has a very strong reputation for reliability. Neither the hybrid drivetrain nor the chassis are all new. Not to mention that Ford as of late has proven to be very reliable.

The VW is a new chassis and engine (well new in '08 or something). It doesn't have any proven history. VW in general does have a proven history though it isn't a great one. That isn't to say you would avoid the VW but given Ford's track record and given that the Ford is simply an evolution of an already proven car, I would feel far more confident in the Ford than the VW. Keep in mind the Ford hybrid has basically the same record as the Prius and more history than the Honda. Both Toyota and Honda have great quality reputations (Fords is coming along) but the Insight is very new (though based heavily on existing Honda stuff). The Prius is also heavily based on the old car but technically it has no more history than the Ford.

Really, my concern with a VW isn't the engine, its the loads of small things. Least you think I just dislike VWs, my father has had two Passats (the B5 version saw 180,000 miles with many small repairs) and my brother has an '09 Jetta TDI.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Chris S,Jul 28 2009, 10:09 AM
Wow, this thread certainly brought out the ignorance about VW TDI's among a handful of y'all!

My wife has an '06 Jetta TDI w/ > 50K miles, and the only problem it's had is a clock that runs fast. I've had Hondas and Toyotas give me more trouble.

Can't speak for other VW's, but most owners' reports I hear about Jetta TDI's are very favorable. The new ones are supposed to be even better.
As I said in my other post, my fear of VW is based on seeing lots of problems with my friend's VW about 3-5 years back. That isn't the current generation of VWs but it does give me pause. I have a friend who is a VW mechanic. Talking to him also gives me pause. That doesn't mean I don't like the cars, only that I do expect them to be more trouble prone than a Toyota or Honda (generally good luck with both but Toyota has crap dealers).
Old 07-28-2009, 11:56 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Abdizzle,Jul 27 2009, 07:20 PM
My god I hate when people want to dump their inefficient gas guzzlers for cars like a Prius or TDI. Reason being that 50% of the fuel economy issues are a result of their driving style.

So when they purchase these new awesome eco friendly 900MPG cars they end up in the fast lane at 90MPH and flooring it from stop light to stop light just as before. Worse yet is a lot of times they give more throttle due to the lack of power.

It really pisses me off when I see Prius owners driving like a mad man, so why did you buy the damn thing?

And no this isn't aimed at the OP it just reminds me of all the Prius that cut me off trying to make it into the fast lane.
So why vent here then? Every post of yours, that I have seen, contains negativity.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:12 PM

I know VW has had issues in the past, but the latest round of cars seem to be pretty good. I have a 2008 VW GTI w/ DSG that has about 44k miles and I've only had one minor sensor issue (knock on wood).

When I had the car in for my 40k service I got a TDI as a courtesy car. It was a very nice car. It had leather, seat heaters, etc.

It seems to me, that if you will be regularly driving clients around the TDI is the only choice of the 3. I really like the Prius and would be happy to drive one, but I am not sure it's an appropriate car for someone in sales to cart clients around in.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito,Jul 28 2009, 11:56 AM
So why vent here then? Every post of yours, that I have seen, contains negativity.
Maybe because I appreciate when owners of these cars drive them as intended rather then being dumb American's and rein-acting their giant SUV days through a Prius.

I think the dudes who hyper mile and go to great lengths for every MPG are awesome.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Abdizzle,Jul 28 2009, 12:28 PM

I think the dudes who hyper mile and go to great lengths for every MPG are awesome.
I hate them. They plug up the highway going so slowly. Keep that shit out of my left lane. My carbon footprint is a size 24 baby!

Quick Reply: Jetta TDI vs Insight Vs Prius.. What should I get?