Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Jetta TDI vs Insight Vs Prius.. What should I get?

Old 07-27-2009, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jetta TDI vs Insight Vs Prius.. What should I get?

I just got a promotion and I have to sell my s2k because it does not qualify for my company's car package (I need 4 doors and at least 4 seats). I am in sales, and I am going to be driving at least 50 miles/day, so I am looking for something that gets good gas mileage. Right now my top 2 choices are the Jetta TDI and the Prius, but I am also thinking about an Insight.

Any input?
Old 07-27-2009, 06:29 PM

TDI w/DSG!! It has torque and great transmission!
Old 07-27-2009, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sr2oD3,Jul 27 2009, 06:29 PM
TDI w/DSG!! It has torque and great transmission!
VW: Pretty much in the bottom 3 of manufactures for reliability for the past 25 years I have been watching. Most high volume cars at the bottom of there very long lists (such as beetle, gold, Jetta).

Toyota/Honda speak for themselves.

Don't make the mistake and buy a VW.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't live with myself driving an Insight.

If it were me, I'd buy a TDI VW Jetta Sportwagon.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:09 PM

TDI all the way. I'd rather walk then be seen i a prius.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:20 PM

My god I hate when people want to dump their inefficient gas guzzlers for cars like a Prius or TDI. Reason being that 50% of the fuel economy issues are a result of their driving style.

So when they purchase these new awesome eco friendly 900MPG cars they end up in the fast lane at 90MPH and flooring it from stop light to stop light just as before. Worse yet is a lot of times they give more throttle due to the lack of power.

It really pisses me off when I see Prius owners driving like a mad man, so why did you buy the damn thing?

And no this isn't aimed at the OP it just reminds me of all the Prius that cut me off trying to make it into the fast lane.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:43 PM

How long are you keeping it. Typically, company cars you're turning over every 3-5 years so reliability is not much of a factor.

So, I vote TDI. If you can stand driving a Prius you might consider that. Since the reason you have to have 4 seats/doors is you might drive clients around on occasion I'd probably not even consider the Insight at all. Basically, it's a cheaper less comfortable Honda Fit that costs more. If you wouldn't put clients in a Fit you shouldn't put them in an Insight.

I'd also look at the normal sedans (Accord, Camry, Fusion (Hybrid if it's in the budget), Malibu. Mazda6). They're more upscale and are better drives than the Prius while costing less. The mileage isn't there, but we're talking a few hundred dollars a year which you'll probably be expensing anyway.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:47 PM
mdy

Originally Posted by Abdizzle,Jul 27 2009, 07:20 PM
So when they purchase these new awesome eco friendly 900MPG cars they end up in the fast lane at 90MPH and flooring it from stop light to stop light just as before. Worse yet is a lot of times they give more throttle due to the lack of power.
I regularly drive a prius on long trips and have gotten surprisingly good mileage above the speed limit. Also if you're hard on it from a stop, the electric motor helps quiet a bit as well. If you really beat on the thing, while you won't get mileage as claimed, it still is quite respectable. That said, it's not really anything more than a method of conveyance. A proper GT car while returning poor mileage is much more enjoyable.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:55 PM

VW TDI's have been pretty reliable, and I see them all over the place here in Seattle. Biodiesel conversions too!

Can you spring for the BMW 335d?
Old 07-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Banned

Prius!

Quick Reply: Jetta TDI vs Insight Vs Prius.. What should I get?