Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Jeremy Clarkson reviews the Hyundai Veloster

Old 03-23-2012, 08:01 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts
Default Jeremy Clarkson reviews the Hyundai Veloster

http://www.topgear.com/uk/jeremy-cla...rch-2012-03-22

The brochure talks about ‘sporty acceleration' and a ‘true racing driver experience', but that's like calling me slim and handsome. It's b*ll*cks. This is one of the dreariest cars I've ever driven.
The styling doesn't work at all. It's silly. And because of the split rear screen, you can't see what's behind you. Don't get me started on the doors, either. No, actually, do get me started. What were they thinking of? I realise that a child can't get out into the traffic, and that's nice, but when you're in a car park, or at home, having to shuffle over the seats to get out is a bloody nuisance.
But what the company doesn't understand is that when you make a car that's supposed to be interesting, it needs to be interesting.

It needs to make a sporty noise, or look good, or corner well. It needs to have a feel, a certain unquantifiable something that sets it apart from the herd. An invisible beckoning finger. A come-hither look in its headlights. It needs to feel like it was made by an enthusiast, someone who likes cars, someone who understands the mechanics of James's sausage. Because, if it doesn't, what you end up with is a Veloster. An accountant in a clown suit.
I think he likes it.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The world would be a very boring place if we all agreed

In the case of the Veloster, I hold Jeremy's opinion just as high as I do JonBoy's

I'm looking forward to being an owner of the Turbo model in 2014
Old 03-23-2012, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H

In the case of the Veloster, I hold Jeremy's opinion just as high as I do JonBoy's

OK, but if it's slow and doesn't corner well...what's the point?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:08 AM

Old 03-23-2012, 09:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The Veloster is basically a styled-up econo car. Coming from a guy who turns his nose up at anything less than an Audi, are we really surprised that he didn't like it?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:26 AM

Funny thing about the Turbo model: they didn't upgrade the suspension at all. They added 61 hp (44% more!) and didn't upgrade the suspension one iota - not spring rates, not ride height, not damping rates, NOTHING! They added slick new paint (matte), some pretty wheels and an upgraded interior...but ignored the suspension.

Good luck in your dream that this car will fulfil your hatchback fantasy. It's already universally panned for its handling and now you're going to add way more power and expect it to somehow be a dream come true? Yeah right!
Old 03-23-2012, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
The Veloster is basically a styled-up econo car. Coming from a guy who turns his nose up at anything less than an Audi, are we really surprised that he didn't like it?
He loves a lot of small cars. Did you even read the article? He mentions some of them in there.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by Triple-H' timestamp='1332521918' post='21537152

Funny thing about the Turbo model: they didn't upgrade the suspension at all. They added 61 hp (44% more!) and didn't upgrade the suspension one iota - not spring rates, not ride height, not damping rates, NOTHING! They added slick new paint (matte), some pretty wheels and an upgraded interior...but ignored the suspension.

Good luck in your dream that this car will fulfil your hatchback fantasy. It's already universally panned for its handling and now you're going to add way more power and expect it to somehow be a dream come true? Yeah right!
I tend to agree. Clarkson loves cars that handle well and even ones that don't handle all that well as long as they sound good and are fun. The styling is an opinion, but if a quick hatch can't handle then that really defeats the purpose.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by deepbluejh' timestamp='1332523548' post='21537241
He loves a lot of small cars. Did you even read the article? He mentions some of them in there.
Yeah... like the Mitsubishi Evo!

haha

He basically derailed this car for being "boring" (like an econocar) while having styling he didn't like. He didn't elaborate on the handling AT ALL other than to state it didn't handle well. I'm sure if there were anything in particular about the handling he didn't like, you would have heard about it.

He went on and on about how slow it was, but hardly mentioned the handling at all, which leads me to believe it really wasn't all that bad.

But it's the drive that's worse, because there is not a single thing that leaps out and holds your attention. The engine is an engine. The gearbox is a gearbox. The steering is electric, but not in a good way, and the touchscreen ‘media centre' mentioned in the brochure is a radio.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
He went on and on about how slow it was, but hardly mentioned the handling at all, which leads me to believe it really wasn't all that bad.

I enjoyed the article, mainly because it was in Clarkson style and different from a normal review. It doesn't bother me that he doesn't go into specifics on each major point of the driving experience. I get his point when he basically says "It's trying to be sporty and doesn't do anything sporty." I'm guessing it's like the usual situation of an econo-company trying to create a sporty small car - missing the quick responsiveness in all areas, like throttle response, steering, suspension, braking.

Of course, if you want one and/or really want to argue the specifics of the points with someone, go drive one yourself.

Quick Reply: Jeremy Clarkson reviews the Hyundai Veloster