Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

is japan "mad" at the US

Old 11-18-2007, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is japan "mad" at the US

i always wonder why we in the US dont get type R versions, etc, while Europe, etc do. makes me think about old grudges.

or is it just market potential?
Old 11-18-2007, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the big thing is S M O G regulations
Old 11-18-2007, 08:20 PM

It also may have to do with crash testing. The smog testing is a big one. I don't know what constitutes a change to the engine but if things are changed to much the car must be re-smog checked. I'm sure an additional emissions validation adds quite a bit to the cost of a limited run car.

Also crash testing can play into these things as well. Depending on which parts get changed, the car may require a new crash test. This is why the Mazdaspeed Protege 5 had rather limited boost. The pipe from the turbo were plastic and couldn't hold much pressure. Why plastic? Well from what I read someplace they used plastic because a metal pipe would can constituted some sort of change that would require re-crash testing the car because it would have changed some of the "hard parts" between the engine and front of the car.

I think Mazda was kind of between a rock and a hard place. The Feds are right that a substantial change to the parts in the engine bay could alter crash test performance. However, I don't think an aluminum tube to the intake would adversely affect crash performance any more than a plastic one... but I digress.

Anyway, so we have the potential to require new emissions and crash tests for a limited run car. That doesn't prevent us from having say a Civic Type-S-GT-R but it does mean the few S-GT-Rs sold in the US need to split the hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions of dollars of testing the feds would require to sell those cars here. That adds to the price of those cars. If it costs Honda $1000 per car you can bet they will want to charge $2-3k more to make up for the hassle and other expenses (and turn a profit). So now that Civic is getting rather pricy. Kind of like the Mugen Civic the dealer was asking $30k for. Sure a few rich teens might fork over $30k for a Civic but honestly most won't.

So we have rule that make low volume runs/configurations rather expensive. That either makes the limited run versions very if not prohibitively expensive while not helping the manufacture's bottom line.

Sadly, I suspect this is part of the reason Ford has now severely limited the SVT range. While they have very enthusiastic followers, the Focus and Contour SVTs probably never paid their own way and likely didn't add any sort of halo affect to the regular versions of their platforms. Pity as both were great cars.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:43 PM

As said above, it is smog and safety.

As for Europe; their Type R is not the same as a JDM Type R. For example, the UK CTR is 200 hp (almost identical to our Si) whilst the JDM CTR is a 220 hp sedan. Same goes with the UK Accord Type R. In Japan, its called the Euro R (because it wasn't up to the "standards" of a JDM Type R)
Old 11-18-2007, 08:46 PM

Yes, them Japs are mad at us Americans. That's why we don't get certain cars.

But on the other hand, the GT-R is coming out, so I think they are, in fact, in love with Americans. What more do you want?
Old 11-18-2007, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lice Locket,Nov 19 2007, 01:43 AM

As for Europe; their Type R is not the same as a JDM Type R. For example, the UK CTR is 200 hp (almost identical to our Si) whilst the JDM CTR is a 220 hp sedan. Same goes with the UK Accord Type R. In Japan, its called the Euro R (because it wasn't up to the "standards" of a JDM Type R)
yeah i actually just watched the new episode of top gear (season 10, episode 6) and jeremy clarkson pretty much ripped the new CTR to shreds. 1 hp increase but much heavier over the previous model, and it doesn't have independent rear suspension. it lost to the previous model in a drag race, as was slower on the top gear test track.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:19 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

That's because Honda is losing the plot
Old 11-19-2007, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Lice Locket,Nov 18 2007, 09:43 PM

Also keep in mind that thanks to the differences in how the US and Japan measure a pony, the Japanese horses are smaller thus the actually HP difference is likely less than 20hp.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:10 AM

Don't forget our lower "premium" octane. But federalizing is probably the usual deal breaker.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:14 AM

It cant be because their ''mad'' I would gladly get over whatever I'm ''mad'' at to make more ''money'' if i could.

Quick Reply: is japan "mad" at the US