Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Jaguar F Type

Old 10-02-2012, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The DCT can be OPERATED like an auto (as in it will shift for you). But it is not an automatic gearbox by definition. It has two clutches, not a torque converter.
And to say it's an auto is an insult to the engineers who designed them.

But you have your head so far up your a** I'm surprised you haven't suffocated yet so I won't bother to feed your hunger for controversy.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:28 AM

I dunno. When I think automatic...I think automated. And if you're not operating the clutch and gear lever...well...the car is doing it for you. Hence it's automated. So it's a bloody automatic.

The first torque converter automatic tranny was called a Hydramatic. It's all the more apropos now, since there are so many iterations of the automatic transmission out in the wild.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by 20aeman
I dunno. When I think automatic...I think automated. And if you're not operating the clutch and gear lever...well...the car is doing it for you. Hence it's automated. So it's a bloody automatic.
+1

To not agree with this means you are either retarded or... let's just stick with retarded. A DCT may be a more efficient or better type of automatic than the one in your mom's camry, but that doesn't mean it is a MANUAL.

What is happening here is some sort of psychological phenomena where people think that an enthusiast can't embrace a new technology that requires less driver involvement (or skill), so if it it a technology they 'like' it is thought of as something else. Everyone loves the thought of driving a traditional 3 pedal sports car on a secluded windy road. But also we hate the idea of sitting in traffic for 2 hours dealing with clutch, this is where your brain tells you a DCT isn't an automatic and that you aren't a sellout or non enthusiast for wanting one. The marketing by companies also bends your thought, it is easy today when most people behave like sheep and can't think for themselves. It is not your fault, society has taken away your ability to think and your ability to see what is real.

These same arguements were made with anti-lock brakes, launch control, stability control, traction control, power steering and syncromesh. Our brain wants to convince us that changes to the vehicle are good in every way and these changes preserve driver involvement. Well, they don't. Each development takes something away, but that doesn't mean they are all bad. Some are for pussies, like launch control, stability control, and traction control.

Car companies love this DCT, launch control, traction control stuff because a car equiped with this stuff make it is less apt to tear itself apart. Hard launches with a lot of power and sticky tires are rough on a a car, so the computer manages all that. The reason why launch control is not automatically set after each full stop is to preserve the car, it should be the default setup and not some 3 step process that you use sparingly. It is all about selling you something for more money that results in lower warrentee costs and probably it is easier to pass emissions with an automatic style transmission.

edit: but this conversation is besides the point. A car that costs $70K is really meant for wealthy, older people, say 50 years old and up. And many older people don't care to shift anymore or their bitchy wives don't want to shift a manual tranny. If you are under 50, chances are you should be using your money towards wealth building and whatnot, not pissing it away on a car. Jaguar knows this, so this is probably why only the automatic is offered.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:02 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

My hunch is that this will be a track king in the future is that it’s engineered with:

*50-50 Weight Distribution
*Double Wishbone Suspension
*Aluminum Chassis & Body
*Active Differential or Limited Slip
*Robust Engine and Transmission

Once enthusiasts start tweaking the car for the track, they’ll have a perfect slate to building their heart’s content. I am sure a lot of weight can be stripped from the car. As it stands now, this car is wider than the Boxster or 911 hence it’s higher weight.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:15 AM

To settle what it means to have an automatic transmission from a couple of sources.

http://en.wikipedia.org - An automatic (also called automatic gearbox, or auto transmission) is one type of motor vehicle transmission that can automatically change gear ratios as the vehicle moves, freeing the driver from having to shift gears manually.

http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu - (n) automatic transmission, automatic drive (a transmission that automatically changes the gears according to the speed of the car)

http://www.thefreedictionary.com - (Engineering / Automotive Engineering) a transmission system in a motor vehicle, usually incorporating a fluid clutch, in which the gears change automatically. Thesaurus - Noun 1. automatic transmission - a transmission that automatically changes the gears according to the speed of the car
Old 10-03-2012, 05:35 AM

I don't care what anyone says, it is a manual gearbox that can operate without the use of a clutch pedal.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:18 AM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
My hunch is that this will be a track king in the future is that it’s engineered with:

*Aluminum Chassis & Body

Once enthusiasts start tweaking the car for the track, they’ll have a perfect slate to building their heart’s content. I am sure a lot of weight can be stripped from the car. As it stands now, this car is wider than the Boxster or 911 hence it’s higher weight.
you forgot to add that will have a bunch of luxury items that will increase it's weight.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol' timestamp='1349269373' post='22055278

*Aluminum Chassis & Body

you forgot to add that will have a bunch of luxury items that will increase it's weight.
The luxury items can (and should) be stripped out of the car to bring the way down as mentioned earlier. Did you actually read my post?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by mazelmazelgoodthings' timestamp='1349204804' post='22053388
i would never get a jaguar. good looking car though.
Curious why? Figured from your name, you'd want an Allies car over an Axis one...
nah my name is just a line alec baldwin said in the movie along came polly its a joke that we have here at work. I work in the car industry and we constantly have jags coming in with some kind of little problem or issue. I meant i would never buy one from a reliability standpoint.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by mazelmazelgoodthings
nah my name is just a line alec baldwin said in the movie along came polly its a joke that we have here at work. I work in the car industry and we constantly have jags coming in with some kind of little problem or issue. I meant i would never buy one from a reliability standpoint.
I can't imagine you have many 2004+ Jag's coming in, do you? From 2004+ is when their quality went up a lot. Just look at their JD Power rankings... The older Jag's, well, that is another story all together.

Quick Reply: Jaguar F Type