Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Jaguar F Type

Old 10-02-2012, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love how they kept the awesome rear tail light design, and the front isn't to bad either. can't wait for the coupe, its going to be sexy.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:51 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex S2000
Love how they kept the awesome rear tail light design, and the front isn't to bad either. can't wait for the coupe, its going to be sexy.
I can't wait for the coupe either. I found it odd they did not release both like they did the XK...

Hard to decide whether to get new Jag or used front engine Ferrari, have 3 years before the next one will be in driveway. Been wanting a 550 Maranello. I think I can give up GPS for that...
Old 10-02-2012, 11:06 AM

i would never get a jaguar. good looking car though.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:33 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by mazelmazelgoodthings
i would never get a jaguar. good looking car though.
Curious why? Figured from your name, you'd want an Allies car over an Axis one...
Old 10-02-2012, 05:00 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by thielepr' timestamp='1349136285' post='22051186
What???? rivet bonding most advance metal body construction???? That's an old method utilize by a lot of companies to join different materials

the newest XKR or XKR-S are GT cars trying to be sport cars. The bad thing is while trying to do two things at the same time it doesn't do any of them good.
Have you personally driven either car?

What other automotive manufacturer is doing aluminum rivet bonding construction since there is a lot of them?
yes ive driven the XKR.

Why do i care abou the type of rivet bonding a manufacturer uses? All i know is that the any lotus, boxster, cayman, and 911 ALL handle better than any Jaguar being currently built. Maybe the F type will beat out porsche or lotus but i doubt that. Your comparing a company that makes only luxury GT cars. They'll build a SL competitor. Not a 911 competitor.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by nofearofdanger
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol' timestamp='1349113614' post='22050081
Ferrari does not have a manual no one is saying that's not a real sports car. Is the McLaren, Lamborghini, or Bugatti coming in manual either? I too would like to see it in a manual, but to dismiss it because it is not one is just childish and uninformed in IMO.

I am quite active on the Jagauar boards and the F Type is going to change the whole sports car market over the next decade. You'll see used F Types really putting the 911 and Elise as track car king. Wait until the reviews are out and this is going to be more than well recieved.

The Boxster is a toy compared to this. The Jaguar has a better and more sophisticated construction and better build quality throughout. Safer too.
Mclaren, Lamborghini, Ferrari and the like offer DCT. Not an outdated ZF automatic.

I doubt it has better build quality and sophisticated construction than a Porsche.

You're absolutely dreaming if you think this has a chance against a 911 or Elise for driving experience or being a "track king"
You're making things up now. Have you ever driven a Jag? Owned one? I didn't think so. Your "doubts" are the doubts of someone with no first-hand knowledge. Fascinating to you, I'm sure, but irrelevant, really.

Yes, there are people who insist DCT is a "manual." Those people are simply defensive. Automatic transmissions have been manually shiftable since pretty much day 1. Only their guts have changed. We call them "automatics" because the actual gear selecting and changing is handled by a logic system, not the driver. But this discussion will arise every time a new car is released without a manual trans

Nobody, especially not Jaguar, has claimed the F Type is designed to be a "track king." It's a relatively compact sports car, vs. the XK Jags. It is not a lightweight roadster, it's a luxury convertible. Perhaps for folks who already own their Porsche and want something to drive to work every day, who knows?
Old 10-02-2012, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Originally Posted by nofearofdanger' timestamp='1349147370' post='22051544
[quote name='mosesbotbol' timestamp='1349113614' post='22050081']
Ferrari does not have a manual no one is saying that's not a real sports car. Is the McLaren, Lamborghini, or Bugatti coming in manual either? I too would like to see it in a manual, but to dismiss it because it is not one is just childish and uninformed in IMO.

I am quite active on the Jagauar boards and the F Type is going to change the whole sports car market over the next decade. You'll see used F Types really putting the 911 and Elise as track car king. Wait until the reviews are out and this is going to be more than well recieved.

The Boxster is a toy compared to this. The Jaguar has a better and more sophisticated construction and better build quality throughout. Safer too.
Mclaren, Lamborghini, Ferrari and the like offer DCT. Not an outdated ZF automatic.

I doubt it has better build quality and sophisticated construction than a Porsche.

You're absolutely dreaming if you think this has a chance against a 911 or Elise for driving experience or being a "track king"
You're making things up now. Have you ever driven a Jag? Owned one? I didn't think so. Your "doubts" are the doubts of someone with no first-hand knowledge. Fascinating to you, I'm sure, but irrelevant, really.

Yes, there are people who insist DCT is a "manual." Those people are simply defensive. Automatic transmissions have been manually shiftable since pretty much day 1. Only their guts have changed. We call them "automatics" because the actual gear selecting and changing is handled by a logic system, not the driver. But this discussion will arise every time a new car is released without a manual trans

Nobody, especially not Jaguar, has claimed the F Type is designed to be a "track king." It's a relatively compact sports car, vs. the XK Jags. It is not a lightweight roadster, it's a luxury convertible. Perhaps for folks who already own their Porsche and want something to drive to work every day, who knows?
[/quote]

Have you owned a Jag yourself? Or any sporty car with a manually shiftable ZF style transmission?

Something tells me you haven't either. If you fail to understand there is an appreciable difference between a semi-automatic / dual clutch transmission and a ZF automatic with a torque converter then the only irrelevant thing in this discussion is you I'm not talking about whether they are manually shiftable or not, and I thought I made that clear enough. Even though they offer the same driver interface (paddles or buttons), that does not make the way that they operate and feel the same. This is the concept you failt o understand.

Also - if you had bothered to read some of OP's comments, you would realize he is the one that claims the new F-type will be a "track king." Might want to read before you start baselessly criticizing like you always do.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:34 PM

Well, my mother had an S-Type for 5 years and I drove it every chance I could. Couple times a month over that time at least. I would happily own one if I needed a sedan. What's your experience with Jaguar?

WTF is a "ZF-style" transmission? ZF MANUFACTURE transmissions. They make manuals as well as autos. There is no such thing as a "ZF style" transmission. Don't be ignorant. ZF make the PDK Porsche uses. And if you look, it falls under the "Automatic Transmission" category on their wikipedia page. Just sayin'.

I also understand the internal differences between a torque converter auto and a DCT transmission. I define a manual transmission as one where the driver selects the gear and performs the shift. I define an automatic transmission as one where the driver merely indicates an upshift or downshift and a logic system does the gear selection and shifting. A sequential manual transmission requires the driver to operate the clutch when stopping and starting. A sequential automatic transmission uses a logic system to operate the clutch when starting and stopping. As long as the clutch is operated by a logic system and not the driver, it's an auto. Especially so when the gear selection is logic-driven and not driver-selected, a la both torque converter trans and DCT-style.

I fully understand the OP is a tool. I also understand you are acting as one as well. Please stop.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Well, my mother had an S-Type for 5 years and I drove it every chance I could. Couple times a month over that time at least. I would happily own one if I needed a sedan. What's your experience with Jaguar?

WTF is a "ZF-style" transmission? ZF MANUFACTURE transmissions. They make manuals as well as autos. There is no such thing as a "ZF style" transmission. Don't be ignorant. ZF make the PDK Porsche uses. And if you look, it falls under the "Automatic Transmission" category on their wikipedia page. Just sayin'.

I also understand the internal differences between a torque converter auto and a DCT transmission. I define a manual transmission as one where the driver selects the gear and performs the shift. I define an automatic transmission as one where the driver merely indicates an upshift or downshift and a logic system does the gear selection and shifting. A sequential manual transmission requires the driver to operate the clutch when stopping and starting. A sequential automatic transmission uses a logic system to operate the clutch when starting and stopping. As long as the clutch is operated by a logic system and not the driver, it's an auto. Especially so when the gear selection is logic-driven and not driver-selected, a la both torque converter trans and DCT-style.

I fully understand the OP is a tool. I also understand you are acting as one as well. Please stop.
Good for you, you define it that way. There's a reason why DCT/DSG/PDK have their own category and are not lumped into the same bag as a standard automatic with a torque converter. Clearly you fail to see this so there's no point arguing with you.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:47 PM

Why don't you call BMW, Porsche, Mclaren, Ferrari etc and tell them that you disagree with their definition and that the description on all their cars should be "automatic."

Quick Reply: Jaguar F Type