Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Jaguar F Type

Old 10-01-2012, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks fantastic and has the power to keep up the excitement.

It's modern, powerful, and looks great (in modern terms). As you stated, it probably won't be better than a Boxter in terms of driving dynamics.

But if they aren't set out to beat the competition, then they need to be different. And they are different with loads more power, and automatic transmission to sell to a different crowd. But to really be unique, they're missing that extra ounce of classiness that they used to have.

For the Jaguar brand, a roadster is a perfect way to bring back that classic motoring enthusiasm. But they could have made an even larger statement if they were able to innovate the final product a little further to be uniquely JAGUAR.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoidberg
Looks fantastic and has the power to keep up the excitement.

It's modern, powerful, and looks great (in modern terms). As you stated, it probably won't be better than a Boxter in terms of driving dynamics.

But if they aren't set out to beat the competition, then they need to be different. And they are different with loads more power, and automatic transmission to sell to a different crowd. But to really be unique, they're missing that extra ounce of classiness that they used to have.

For the Jaguar brand, a roadster is a perfect way to bring back that classic motoring enthusiasm. But they could have made an even larger statement if they were able to innovate the final product a little further to be uniquely JAGUAR.
When I look at it, I see Jag.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:44 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by North Star
Interesting that there is no manual option, since the bigger XK has a 6 speed manual option.
No it doesn't. All of the XK range have the same ZF 6 speed auto trans.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Zoidberg
What changes would've those been?
Old 10-01-2012, 11:29 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Ferrari does not have a manual no one is saying that's not a real sports car. Is the McLaren, Lamborghini, or Bugatti coming in manual either? I too would like to see it in a manual, but to dismiss it because it is not one is just childish and uninformed in IMO.
All of those cars have paddle-actuated transmissions with a clutch or clutches, not a traditional torque converter automatic like the Jag. While they aren't a traditional three-pedal manual, they are indeed manual transmissions in that they use clutches, not torque converters, and offer full shifting control to the driver.

Uninformed? Ironic!

The Bugatti isn't a sports car, no matter how fast it is. It's a massively powered GT that weighs more than two tons (4162 lbs!!). In no way does it compare to this car or anything else in its class. Arguably, it's in a class of its own.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:31 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Ferrari does not have a manual no one is saying that's not a real sports car. Is the McLaren, Lamborghini, or Bugatti coming in manual either? I too would like to see it in a manual, but to dismiss it because it is not one is just childish and uninformed in IMO.
Well, if you'd asked me, I'd tell you makes like Ferrari are exotics, not sports cars, and I'd also tell you I have no desire to own an exotic without a clutch pedal. I don't have much desire for exotics in general, but I'm not rich enough to be that impractical.

I am quite active on the Jagauar boards and the F Type is going to change the whole sports car market over the next decade.
I seriously doubt it. As much as I love its cars, Jag is a minor player in its markets anymore. I think one Jag sells for every ~30 cars sold among Mercedes, Audi, and BMW. Its nice if you want a rare car, but its not setting the pace by any means.

The Boxster is a toy compared to this. The Jaguar has a better and more sophisticated construction and better build quality throughout. Safer too.
Now I'm not sure if you're just kidding or not.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by North Star' timestamp='1349114033' post='22050104
Interesting that there is no manual option, since the bigger XK has a 6 speed manual option.
No it doesn't. All of the XK range have the same ZF 6 speed auto trans.
Really? I could have sworn I saw that listed on the company website a year or so ago.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
All of those cars have paddle-actuated transmissions with a clutch or clutches, not a traditional torque converter automatic like the Jag. While they aren't a traditional three-pedal manual, they are indeed manual transmissions in that they use clutches, not torque converters, and offer full shifting control to the driver.
How is having a torque converter not offering full shifting control to the driver? The car can still be at red line in any specified gear. The point is that a manual by in large is a three pedal system. The same people who poo poo an automatic would say the same to the F1 shifters and the shift response in real world is not much different. Not only that the torque converter system is much more reliable.

Do you call all the cars with F1 style transmissions manuals? I don't think so....
Old 10-01-2012, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT

The Boxster is a toy compared to this. The Jaguar has a better and more sophisticated construction and better build quality throughout. Safer too.
Now I'm not sure if you're just kidding or not.
No I am not kidding... Jaguar aluminum rivet bonding is the most advanced metal body construction technique in the industry.

I find a lot of people are quick to comment on Jaguar but haven't driven an '07+ XKR or XKR-S.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:54 AM

Looked up some weight numbers for a few cars:

2013 Boxster S Auto - 2888 lbs
2013 911 Cabrio - 3274 lbs
2013 Jag F-type - 3500 lbs.

Yes, the Jaguar is the heaviest out of the three. Dimension and market-wise, it's going after 911, not Boxster. $65K is to start and should top out around 85-90K.

Quick Reply: Jaguar F Type