Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Jacques Attack: Jacques Villeneuve -- The Interview

Old 04-08-2003, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jacques Attack: Jacques Villeneuve -- The Interview

Old 04-08-2003, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may not be a popular opinion but Jacques does Gilles no honor. This guy is as bitter as they come. I love David Coulthard, and though I'm a MS fan seeing DC finally win a championship would be great. BUT, Kimi has far more potential than DC. Also, when Jacques finished first to Michael in '97 after MS' dirty pool in Jerez, the Ferrari that MS was driving was far from equal to Jacques' Williams, so let's dispense with the "I beat him with an equal car bit". Kimi and David C are doing that now and at least Michael's car was close to Mika Hakkinen's in '98 and especially '99, but Jacques had by far the best car in '97. Maybe Jacques could learn to build a car the way Michael did with the Ferrari. I've never seen a guy give up on a bad car the way Jacques does.

Loved this guy in CART and when he came to F1, but have grown to have absolute distaste for his whining and boorish behavior. F1 would be no worse off without him.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry, but I like him even less after reading that. In my opinion he is turning into another Eddie Irvine. As soon as he opens his mouth he has something negative to say about the car, his team, his teammate, other racers.....
Old 04-08-2003, 04:53 PM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting, I loved the article...

And I'll go against the grain here, and say I like him even more..

He says what he wants, and like it or hate it, its better then having syrup up the butt..
Old 04-08-2003, 07:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At least he is the fastest Canadian
I hope he beats Button at least this year. Takuma Sato will come in and that the second seat at BAR next year. Where will that leave JV? hmmm... He can't get along with Juan, he hates MS, and no way Mercedes is ditching Kimi so really, he has no place to go in the top teams. He can go to Toyota when da Matta or Panis doesn't perform.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:03 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 310 Likes on 149 Posts

I think JV still hasn't learned how much he needs to rely on the work of others, and, because of that fact, how important it is to built solid relationships within his team. In that respect I think his raw talent has been his biggest weakness: it's given him such extreme confidence in his own abilities that he's been unwilling to spend enough time behind the scenes with the people developing the car.

In contrast, that's why Schumacher's been so successful -- he's no faster than JV, but he's recognized how important it is to foster team spirit among every mechanic and designer at Ferrari. "His guys" as he calls them put in those long hours in development because they know he'll be right there beside them, till all hours of the night.

Remember: JV lost his father when he was very young, and probably learned to be self-reliant from an early age. Therefore he has trouble asking others for the help he needs to win. Spending time with the mechanics, designers, etc. is a chore for him because, subconciously, this would be tantamount to showing a lack of confidence in his ability to make up for the car's deficiencies. Outwardly, his blustery bravado is actually symptomatic of a great fear of exposing any weakness.

So I like the guy, and I sympathize with him -- he's more of a "real" person, with real flaws, than the "7 Habits of Highly Successful Schumacher". But he could stand to grow up a little, admit he can't do it all himself, and ask for more help from his team.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:53 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by twohoos

In contrast, that's why Schumacher's been so successful -- he's no faster than JV, but he's recognized how important it is to foster team spirit among every mechanic and designer at Ferrari. "His guys" as he calls them put in those long hours in development because they know he'll be right there beside them, till all hours of the night.