Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Italy ncreases speed limit!!

Old 02-12-2003, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Liosandro
everybody passes on the right
this drives me crazy each time I'm on an American road!!
Old 02-12-2003, 03:57 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

We have to pass on the right because people camp out in the passing lane.

Some people won't even move over if you flash them.

Keep right people left to pass.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rai
[B]We have to pass on the right because people camp out in the passing lane.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by DaveKing
I think the notion of "passing lane at left" becomes quite vague at already 3 lanes for a lot of people, i.e. many consider that they're no more in a blocking situation cos you can always find space to pass them on the right.
Yes, the lane choice is not as critical on larger roadways but 'lane protocol/etiquette' is still important. It is critical that drivers be able to anticipate the actions of others and that is almost impossible on US highways. Drivers are distracted with activities other than driving and for some reason most do not comprehend that they are simply one component of a complex fleet on the road and act as if their actions are independent of everything else.

I certainly agree with Liosandro but don't think he has seen the worst of it.. I have always found that California offers a better mix of drivers than Texas ever has. It seems there is a wider divergence in speed and more erratic road behavior on Texas roads.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by blacks2k
isnt schumacher german?
Certainly on his father's side...

Old 02-13-2003, 10:13 PM

I remember driving an automatic in Torino (that's in Italy btw ) and how I had to really anticipiate not only the traffic but also step much earlier on the gas cos of the delayed 'box reaction...in Italian traffic, any lag (be it autobox or turbo etc.) seems to quickly take life-threatening proportions

I still managed to get the Italians mad at me on a few occasions

now that's a feat
Old 02-14-2003, 06:28 AM

Originally posted by DaveKing
How relevant is that on a 6-lane highway ?

I think the notion of "passing lane at left" becomes quite vague at already 3 lanes for a lot of people, i.e. many consider that they're no more in a blocking situation cos you can always find space to pass them on the right.

That's very relevant when you're in the fast lane going 5 over and the car in front of you is going 5 under. Not to mention the fact that the car in the lane to the right is running dead even with the car ahead of you, as is the car in the next lane. Granted, there may be 2 lanes open at the far right, so I can do a lane-change across 4 lanes in a single maneuve; but wouldn't you rather the car in front get out of the way?
Old 02-14-2003, 07:45 AM

of course yes.

but what is more dangerous :

- staying behing a car blocking you in the fast lane? to make him understand you want to pass you will never be in the safety distance of 2 seconds anyway. Personally i don't feel safe in such situations and if you flash lights then god knows how the guy reacts...usually over here they slow down even more! and i'm not even pushing the guy, maybe 30 ft or so...

or

- going around the right across 2-3 empty lanes. Yes it is forbidden yes it is dangerous but is it more?

i'm not sure about the answer
Old 02-14-2003, 07:46 AM

btw edited my initial post above, sorry for the confusion.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:21 PM
n$a

The situation in Japan is probably worse than elsewhere when it comes to highways.

Road surface is usually excellent, many cars have the power to go fast, drivers are relatively well educated. And yet highways have a 100kph speed limit, some 80kph (which turns into 50kph under rain).

It is humanely impossible to keep below 100kph at the wheel of a good car on a nice, large road on a clear day (or is it ?).

Being caught by the police up to 40kph above the speed limit costs money but will not jeopardize your Japanese license, unless you do it repeatedly.

As a result, on 100kph limited highways, the fast lane is going at 140kph. But some cars you are passing are going 80kph, maybe even less. When a slow car passes another slow car, suddenly you have a 80kph car in the 140kph lane.

To compound the problem, the slowest vehicles are often not trucks, but cars driven by inexperienced or old people. On a two lanes highway, you end up with the slow lane having few but very slow cars, while trucks try to overtake in the fast lane. Trucks have to stay in the fast lane, or they won't find a gate to overtake the next slow car.

Result: if you have a fast car, the only way is to go fast in the slow lane, and overtake slow cars by zig-zagging between the trucks that block the fast lane.

I think a MINIMUM speed limit should be set on highways, 20 or 25% below the maximum limit. Slow cars should simply not take the highway. In the case of Japan, a 100-140kph authorized speed bracket would make sense.

Quick Reply: Italy ncreases speed limit!!