Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Interesting thread about Car Dealers

Old 07-19-2010, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interesting thread about Car Dealers

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180505

Goes into quite a bit of detail. Goes to show you that buying from you local dealer is a total crap shoot. And, while you are buying a commodity the price and experience varies greatly. Until walmart starts selling cars every experience will be different, and then it will always be crappy!
Old 07-19-2010, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I don't get is why the guy was spending $50K+ and yet was obsessed with getting the lowest price price quote regardless of dealer location.

Really seems pennywise, pound foolish.

It also sounds like he doesn't grasp how businesses actually operate. Case in point: "it shouldn't matter if I'm a return customer or new customer to get a great price"

Why should a saleman or dealership offer to make less money on *your* purchase than everyone else's? I would think the only motivation would be if you are a repeat customer and easy to work with.

I wouldn't characterize buying a car as a "crapshoot" unless you really don't have a clue. And if you are shopping for a car based purely on dollars over invoice, you probably don't have a clue. You'd be better off paying slightly more from a local dealer that's going to do your service work unless there are glaring issues with them.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8,Jul 19 2010, 09:34 AM
What I don't get is why the guy was spending $50K+ and yet was obsessed with getting the lowest price price quote regardless of dealer location.

Really seems pennywise, pound foolish.

It also sounds like he doesn't grasp how businesses actually operate. Case in point: "it shouldn't matter if I'm a return customer or new customer to get a great price"

Why should a saleman or dealership offer to make less money on *your* purchase than everyone else's? I would think the only motivation would be if you are a repeat customer and easy to work with.

I wouldn't characterize buying a car as a "crapshoot" unless you really don't have a clue. And if you are shopping for a car based purely on dollars over invoice, you probably don't have a clue. You'd be better off paying slightly more from a local dealer that's going to do your service work unless there are glaring issues with them.
You can have your service work done anywhere regardless of where you buy it from. The POINT, which you have missed as usual, is that dealers and the NADA etc want you to buy from your local dealer. But, it is a crapshoot. If you happen to be closest to a complete tool box (and many on that list were), especially when buying a BMW (since you may have to travel to find 2) you can get ripped off and/or have a very bad experience.

I deal with 100s of car dealers a day, to even act like it doesn't really matter that much is ridiculous. That's like saying making out with a chick is the same wether it's Roseanne or Gisele. For most of us....it matters.

You can buy a commodity anywhere, having a good experience and getting a good price is all that you have to work with. Both are important and everyone needs to decide how the scale tips for you: more towards the deal vs more towards the experience.

But, to act like the experience will be pretty much the same so you should just buy from your local dealer is insane.

Also, you didn't read much of the thread. It wasn't all about price. It was about how he and others have been treated at various dealerships. There is a huge difference between how many of those businesses do business.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:56 AM

Pretty concise post. Interesting to see the cold-call (cold e-mail?) responses from dealers. He probably should have pursued the no-response dealers with a call but that wasn't what he wanted to do.

All of us here are internet savvy so dealers should get with the program and present a smoother web-front.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01,Jul 19 2010, 09:52 AM
You can have your service work done anywhere regardless of where you buy it from. The POINT, which you have missed as usual, is that dealers and the NADA etc want you to buy from your local dealer. But, it is a crapshoot. If you happen to be closest to a complete tool box (and many on that list were), especially when buying a BMW (since you may have to travel to find 2) you can get ripped off and/or have a very bad experience.

I deal with 100s of car dealers a day, to even act like it doesn't really matter that much is ridiculous. That's like saying making out with a chick is the same wether it's Roseanne or Gisele. For most of us....it matters.

You can buy a commodity anywhere, having a good experience and getting a good price is all that you have to work with. Both are important and everyone needs to decide how the scale tips for you: more towards the deal vs more towards the experience.

But, to act like the experience will be pretty much the same so you should just buy from your local dealer is insane.

Also, you didn't read much of the thread. It wasn't all about price. It was about how he and others have been treated at various dealerships. There is a huge difference between how many of those businesses do business.
A few points:

First, the linked thread's OP discussed only dollars over invoice as the primary decision-making factor. Yes, there was some discussion of dealer treatment, but it hardly was the reason for the thread, and the bulk of the text was actually in the first post. The OP purchased from the salesperson offering the lowest price. There was very little discussion of that transaction. The bulk of it was relating to how happy the OP was to get the lowest price.

Second, while *you* may have the ability to get your car serviced anywhere in the world with no incurred penalty, most people are going to find a local dealer is the only rational service location.

I think you failed to read my post prior to writing your own. I never stated or even implied there was no difference between dealers. That's all coming from your own mind. Go argue in the mirror, because that's the only place your conflict is coming from.

Besides, that thread is 3 years old. How relevant is the info regarding dealers?
Old 07-19-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8,Jul 19 2010, 10:14 AM
A few points:

First, the linked thread's OP discussed only dollars over invoice as the primary decision-making factor. Yes, there was some discussion of dealer treatment, but it hardly was the reason for the thread, and the bulk of the text was actually in the first post. The OP purchased from the salesperson offering the lowest price. There was very little discussion of that transaction. The bulk of it was relating to how happy the OP was to get the lowest price.

Second, while *you* may have the ability to get your car serviced anywhere in the world with no incurred penalty, most people are going to find a local dealer is the only rational service location.

I think you failed to read my post prior to writing your own. I never stated or even implied there was no difference between dealers. That's all coming from your own mind. Go argue in the mirror, because that's the only place your conflict is coming from.

Besides, that thread is 3 yeras old. How relevant the info regarding dealers is?
I'm only going to address one point you made earlier, then i'm done. You argue about everything and it hardly ever makes any sense.

You'd be better off paying slightly more from a local dealer that's going to do your service work unless there are glaring issues with them.
My point was/is you can buy a car from any dealer and have it serviced by your local dealer. A dealership might have horrible sales people and great service and there is no reason to subject yourself to those sales people because you want to service it there.

I bought my evo in calif in 06 because it ended up being 6000 less then my local dealer/s in oregon. If I wanted the car serviced by one of them it wouldn't be an issue. Not that I would...
Old 07-19-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01,Jul 19 2010, 10:21 AM
I'm only going to address one point you made earlier, then i'm done. You argue about everything and it hardly ever makes any sense.

My point was/is you can buy a car from any dealer and have it serviced by your local dealer. A dealership might have horrible sales people and great service and there is no reason to subject yourself to those sales people because you want to service it there.

I bought my evo in calif in 06 because it ended up being 6000 less then my local dealer/s in oregon. If I wanted the car serviced by one of them it wouldn't be an issue. Not that I would...
WTF? Forget to take your medication? You are insulting me and agreeing with me at the same time. And you are obviously lost, because you are seeing things in my posts that simply aren't there.

Go find some other ancient threads to post here :/
Old 07-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Former Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

^When will you guys be finished your bickering?
Old 07-19-2010, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01,Jul 19 2010, 12:08 PM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180505

Goes into quite a bit of detail. Goes to show you that buying from you local dealer is a total crap shoot. And, while you are buying a commodity the price and experience varies greatly. Until walmart starts selling cars every experience will be different, and then it will always be crappy!
not seeing half this thread as a certain person is on ignore... but as to the OP:

Excellent post, and it completely agrees with my dealer experiences. When you find the right dealer, who isn't full of crap and who has a good price, frequently it's quick and painless getting out of there with the car you want. It is not worth dealing with the morons who give you stupid lines like 'you'll never see a better price!' and other bs.

inb4 mr. Best Salesperson ever Who randomly Capitalizes things
Old 07-19-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by thebig33tuna,Jul 19 2010, 12:27 PM
not seeing half this thread as a certain person is on ignore... but as to the OP:

Excellent post, and it completely agrees with my dealer experiences. When you find the right dealer, who isn't full of crap and who has a good price, frequently it's quick and painless getting out of there with the car you want. It is not worth dealing with the morons who give you stupid lines like 'you'll never see a better price!' and other bs.

inb4 mr. Best Salesperson ever Who randomly Capitalizes things
That was the whole point. The disparity between good and bad dealers exists. Using your local one or local two means you might get stuck with a real turd. The thread, regardless of the age of it was to show the massive disparity in pricing and experience.

Quick Reply: Interesting thread about Car Dealers