Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Interesting observations at the Lexus dealer

Old 08-12-2003, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well put S2k Rob, near my town, there is a BMW dealer, VW/Saturn dealer, and Acura dealer all in the same strip. With a Chevy dealer right across the street which I never visit. Anyways, Acura is the best out of the 3 and BMW following them. Never been to a Lexus dealer....
Old 08-12-2003, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by Nice-Face
nahh,i think he actually fooled himself to think that Lex is better quality..hah...
I didn't fool myself I have had both. Out of all my cars which I have bought, 89 toyota pick-up, 93.5 Acura GS-R, 1997 Toyota Supra, 1999 Acura TL, 2001.5 Audi S4, 2002 Honda S2000, 2003 RX330, the 2002 C32 was not only my most expensive, also the least reliable. I had it in the shop 6-7 times in the first year working out all the bugs. The other cars never been in other than routine maintainence or ware and tare. My $60K Mercedes, while a great car, is not nearly as reliable as any of my past cars. People fool themselves, due to good advertising, that German cars are the best out there. They maybe engineered great, but no better than a Japanese Lux brand, but the German cars will break down more often. On the C32 forums there is a younger guy posting that is dad's $100K Mercedes is in the shop so much, he told his dad he paid $100k for a honda accord. Because that was the car they gave him as a loaner. When I go to a mercedes forum or my audi forum there are post about how their car is a lemon and "what's this error code mean?" I swear you think they were all modded with all the trannies going bad or error codes or broken this or that. You never hear this at this forum do you? I can tell you my Lexus has much higher quality interior materials than my Benz. Sure they are two different cars, however if you spend that much on a "sporty" luxury car brand, it better have some nice leather, wood, plastics, carpet, but it didn't. My dad's bottom of the line ES300 has much better materials than a C-class, any c-class.

Sam
Old 08-12-2003, 07:55 PM

Some people can't look past the badge.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:29 PM

Gotta love the Japanese cars. Solid unlike any other cars I've ever seen. Sure they got lemons here and there. But for the most part, I will readily back any Toyota/Lexus or Honda/Acura product.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:31 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Japanese
Old 08-12-2003, 08:54 PM

Lexus has a great product ,dealer treatment far better then Benz. I own both brands . Neighbors CL 600 has been back for service 11 times in less than a year. Car has less than 4,000 miles and they are invoking the lemon law on it . I would place Benz service treatment along side of Honda service when you bring your S in.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:10 PM

ok..well im not saying the Lex is horrible..not at all....but many people out there are fooled by the newer prettier interiors and styling/gadgets of the Lex's, so they assume (maybe not u) that its a better car..not so.....MB just doesnt like changing around much (stick to more old-classic styling on the inside and such)..i mean, you cant assume just cause u see lots of Mb's in the service near u that that's the case everywhere.....yes, the japanese engineering is known for taking sumthing thats already done, and making it better....i got respect for both companys,,,toyota (oh, i mean lexus) and of course the almighty MB....lexus has definitely come a long way since when they came out (hahh.remember their original sedans when they came out?.)....oh,,and i personally dont like the C-class at all...and thank god for the 'bulletproof' windows on the S's (this has really been a factor, against punks)
Old 08-12-2003, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, the interior quality of the MB has been goin down. And they used to keep the same design for a long period, but that is not the case now. They have been making changes much more often, seems like every 4 years just to compete. Recently driving an S class, the quality is just not there anymore. The plastic trim and vinyl appear to be of cheaper quality in both appearance and feel. Everything seems to be more Chrysleresque. The only saving grace are those electronic gadgets and gizmo's that most other cars don't come standard with.

The interior plastic and vinyl trim pieces in the Lexus appear and feel like they are better quality in comparison. And the leather, it is much more supple and feels higher grade.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by Nice-Face
ok..well im not saying the Lex is horrible..not at all....but many people out there are fooled by the newer prettier interiors and styling/gadgets of the Lex's, so they assume (maybe not u) that its a better car..not so.....MB just doesnt like changing around much (stick to more old-classic styling on the inside and such)..i mean, you cant assume just cause u see lots of Mb's in the service near u that that's the case everywhere.....yes, the japanese engineering is known for taking sumthing thats already done, and making it better....i got respect for both companys,,,toyota (oh, i mean lexus) and of course the almighty MB....lexus has definitely come a long way since when they came out (hahh.remember their original sedans when they came out?.)....oh,,and i personally dont like the C-class at all...and thank god for the 'bulletproof' windows on the S's (this has really been a factor, against punks)
No, look how far Benz has had to come because of Lexus. Like stated by another post MB cars were better built with higher grade materials. Unfortunately for MB Lexus came out with a better car, for less money. So MB tried to cut corners w/o cutting reliability, and failed. If you look at a MB interior 5 years ago, they are made of better material as they are now. People are not fooled by good interiors. A good interior is easy to spot and feel. Cheap hard leather is cheap hard leather no matter how you try to hide it. Light weight buttons are light weight buttons. Mark Levenson sounds systems sound better than a Bose. Old NAV CD systems w/o touch screen are worse than DVD based systems, catch my drift? I can tell you are biased toward MB by your Toyota crack. My guess is you have never been in a MB/Lexus or for that matter owned one. I'm not sure were you get this idea the S class has bullet proof windows. If you don't like the C class, well it's Mercedes bread and butter car. Like I said before, the MB is a great engineered car, just too many problems for a car than should have very few. The fact the Chevrolet had fewer complaints than a MB is a wake up call for MB. The fact Lexus was at the top is no surprise. BTW the highest US make is Buick. You should read more, do more, and have more before you make opinionated statements that have no facts.

Sam
Old 08-13-2003, 12:09 AM

My neighbors Chrysler CL600 does not bear out your statement. Biggest mistake Benz made was getting in bed with Chrysler. The new level of Chrysler quality shows up in that pile of crap ML. Second mistake they made was going after Joe Six Pack's dollars with the "C"heap class, "E"conomy class models. Stay high end and cater to the customer who brings in the most revenue. Instead of producing Chrysler Benz's for the masses.

Quick Reply: Interesting observations at the Lexus dealer