Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Insurance story

Old 11-27-2010, 02:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F22C,K23A+Nov 26 2010, 11:55 PM
I unlucky got a total of 3 speeding tickets and 2 exhaust tickets, in my entire driving history.

(Does it matter? I thought it's the accident claims which matter isn't it? Cos, insurance company need to pay for the repair bill from that rite?)
Um, no

Insurers price based on the probability of a claim.

Somebody with 5 tickets has a much higher probability of a claim than somebody without any moving violations
Old 11-27-2010, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by saluki9,Nov 27 2010, 03:29 AM
Um, no

Insurers price based on the probability of a claim.

Somebody with 5 tickets has a much higher probability of a claim than somebody without any moving violations
But it doesn't make any sense, because when I first got my lisence and bought my RDX, the first year of my insurance bill is still $1500 for 6 months (which is already the lowest that I could found) + my first ticket was issued after a year when I bought my car.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just use this:

problem solved.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by F22C,K23A+Nov 26 2010, 10:07 PM
Do you own any insurance related company? If yes, let me know. LoL

I really want to find a way to lower my bill, my lather wallet is feeling like a CF wallet....
Is this a ****** joke?
You don't realize why you have a high insurance premium with 5 tickets? That makes a HUGE difference. And wtf is a lather wallet?

With that many tickets you need some kind of cut rate insurance until you get the tickets off your record. If one good insurance company (like state farm) is giving you 3000/6month prices you will pay about the same anywhere else. They use about the same sort of math to figure out what to charge you.

PS: A good insurance company also uses credit score. If you credit score is bad it effects your rate too.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.,Nov 26 2010, 09:11 AM
Call me paranoid but I'd edit your post. I work in a plaintiffs firm and would love to stumble across a vehicle owner talking about how much insurance he has in the event that is a defendant in a case.
OK, you are paranoid.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01,Nov 27 2010, 07:57 AM
And wtf is a lather wallet?
You get 5 tickets, and probably nunder the age of 25. So you empty the wallet, rinse and repeate. Untill the point when he grows up.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by F22C,K23A+Nov 26 2010, 09:53 PM
How can you get the insurance so low?
And you mentioned, rising the deductable to a higher level....erh....does it worth doing?
(As this moment, I haven't have any accident claim yet so far in my driving history. But what I'm worrying is when it get snowing badly...things could happen, you know.)
Anyone can charm in?
well all I can speak to is my own experience. Progressive lets you play around w/ the rates on the site on your current policy to see if it is worth changing.
Hands down the biggest determinant of your premium is the deductible (for me).
I remember when I switched from $250 to $1000 for all cars and types of coverage...it cut my premiums in half. YMMV

If you can save $500 per term or $1000/yr, then who cares about $1000 deductibles? You can get in a wreck once a year and still save money.

As I recall, the comprehensive deductible really made a difference in that portion of the premium...probably because most comprehensive claims are smaller than collision/liability claims and therefore raising your deductible significantly increases the odds that you won't submit it to the insurance company in the first place.

I actually just renewed and there are like 6 discounts listed on the policy...all stupid but they add up: multicar, homeowner, "platinum" (been w/ the same company for years), odometer (wife drives short distances to work), continuous coverage (it was actually specifically named) and one other that is escaping me.

As always, the golden rule of insurance applies...only buy insurance against what you can't afford to self-insure...
Old 11-27-2010, 02:00 PM

Like 305s2k... similar coverage, same state.

36 years old, state farm for 20 years. No accident claims (but hail damage and vandalism), no speeding tickets on record (all dropped off, or removed thanks to traffic school. I've had 7 total tickets in 20 years. All speeding)

Sometimes the deductible makes a difference. The jump from 250 to 500 was decent, but the 500 to 1,000 was a joke. Something like $8 less every 6 months.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:25 PM

I agree with dombey.

Insurance should cover what you can't afford to fix yourself. You shouldn't be concerned with towing, or all those nickle-dime coverages you can afford to pay out of pocket for.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by F22C,K23A+Nov 26 2010, 09:55 PM
I unlucky got a total of 3 speeding tickets and 2 exhaust tickets, in my entire driving history.

(Does it matter? I thought it's the accident claims which matter isn't it? Cos, insurance company need to pay for the repair bill from that rite?)
Your tickets absolutely affect your insurance. I can only speak to the way California laws work, but I imagine something like this is standard across the board.

Tickets remain on your driving history and insurance history 3 years after you were charged (court date, not ticket issued date I believe). Three speeding tickets and you're definitely a liability to your insurance company, thus they jack up the price.

Did you really think tickets didn't have any effect on your insurance?

Quick Reply: Insurance story